Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

That was a joke - Thind has no reputation or credibility to risk.

As for Chiles actually coming here, I'll believe it when I see it. He definitely has options with plenty of programs that aren't dumpster fires looking to bring in a QB. Thankfully, the list of QBs entering the portal is growing every day. I'm sure he'll be contacted by multiple programs unless he opted not to allow proactive contacts when he entered the portal.

Last edited:
Huh? Signed the 19th rated class by average recruiting rank 5 months ago. 24th overall, despite being only 16 recruits.

Dylan Williams (Long Beach Poly, CA), 4 star LB, #181 overall recruit is commtting to MSU tomorrow at 4:30, at 5:00 Nick Marsh, 4 star WR, #100 overall is committing to MSU. So we've got some momentum back.

Jason Brown, #92 overal all player, 4 star RB from Seattle is coming up next, should be a Spartan before then end of the month, but that's less a sure thing than both tomorrow.

Jason Brown finally commited - to Arizona State. I can see why he turned us down but he had offers from Washington, Oregon, 'bama and a bunch of others...

Looks like Thind caught wind of it in time to switch his crystal ball and maintain his 100% record. Dude is 25 for 25 - amazing!

Boyd and Baldwin withdraw from portal. So we?ve got some tackles back.

Chiles is still on his visit, but expect him ti announce today.

Just saw that Leavitt has committed to ASU - he'll be teammates with Jason Brown. Good luck to him.

Just saw that Leavitt has committed to ASU - he'll be teammates with Jason Brown. Good luck to him.

I was hoping to keep him, but the way he's still sour about not being recruited by Smith is ridiculous. They had an early commitment from a much higher ranked qb(Chiles).

I was hoping to keep him, but the way he's still sour about not being recruited by Smith is ridiculous. They had an early commitment from a much higher ranked qb(Chiles).

I agree. Even if we land Chiles, I was hoping to keep at least one of Houser/Leavitt (that?s still possible although unlikely) and I think I said before on this forum, his public comments re: the recruiting snub are not very forgiving for a guy who starts a lot of his tweets with references to his Christian faith.

These guys are still kids though and given the state of MSU and CFB in general, I can?t really blame them.

Wyatt Hook TE from California commits. Another OSU commit. I believe both are 3 star recruits. Also, Kris Phillips withdrew his name from the portal.

Noah Kim is a chanticleer, which I learned recently is a rooster also commonly referred to as a cock. He announced his commitment to Coastal Carolina yesterday or maybe this morning.

This is a few days old but Malik Carr entered the portal and is looking to spend his last year of eligibility elsewhere. Not sure if expectations were too high for him or if he was just stuck on a shitty team - not that he was terrible, just that as I recall there was a lot of hype around him coming in from Purdue.

The last regime didn't seem to find tight ends important. We basically went from a former punter(Hunt) being our starter to a former kicker(Morris) starting this year. They used Carr more as a big wr than tight end. Of all the changes that have been made, Jay Johnson being gone is far and away the best.

Mark Brammer was the last MSU TE I remember as an impact player. Were there others since he played? EDIT: Forgot about Chris Baker.

Last edited:
Billy Joe Dupree. Some more recent ones were Josiah Price, Dion Simms, Brian Linthicum and Kellen Davis. A favorite from my era was a guy named Bob Organ, didn?t make it in the NFL and there was another from the Saban era whose name escapes me at the moment.

As expected, Aidan Chiles is a Spartan. #1 rated QB in the portal.

Last edited:
The last regime didn't seem to find tight ends important. We basically went from a former punter(Hunt) being our starter to a former kicker(Morris) starting this year. They used Carr more as a big wr than tight end. Of all the changes that have been made, Jay Johnson being gone is far and away the best.

And they had a WR coach coachng TEs. Ted Gilmore coached WRs every season for 26 years save for one in 1999 when he coached TEs at Kansas. TE coaching is totally different than WR coaching. Wozniak is supposed to be the best TE coach in the country outside Iowa. There's some talent that was wasting away there and hopefully Velling is following Chiles as he's a stud and a future NFL pick.

Smith is doing a good job of cobbling together a decent class with little time to do so. The high school class will be top 40, and that's pretty good for only have a month to really build it. We'll see what he does with the 2025 class, but the NIL is reportedly in order now and he got a guarantee we can pay for some of the top recruits. Like seeing him really focus on the Midwest and our home state.

Appears to be laying a good foundation for the rebuild.

Back