Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

That's what I thought but then I saw today the Tulia entered the portal despite not having an eligibility left. Didn't read the article, just saw the headline.

The ncaa is taking their nonsense to new levels lately. Alex Bowman just got granted a SEVENTH year of eligibility. Guy was in Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields class. Started 3 years at Texas Tech, went to UM for 2 seasons and now 2 years starting at Ok St. He didn't miss any of those seasons with injuries.

Didn't the portal close?

here's an article on it]. apparently players in later bowl games get an extension, and apparently there's also a spring transfer window.

I was also confused because I saw comments from some people claiming OSU purposely delayed announcement of the KState QB transfer until after the portal close date, to keep their underclass QBs from also transferring. But then I saw a post that Bama's center (the one who couldn't snap the ball correctly in the Rose Bowl), just entered and was going to visit OSU.

I really hope he becomes a Buckeye. Apparently he would move to guard though.

All American Tanner Miller is a Spartan. Will play center here. A little undersized at 6-1, 290, but he?s a great add obviously.

Also added a backup vet QB in Tommy Schuster from North Dakota.

He's not that undersized - the average center in D1 is 297 and he's only 6'1". After being dominated at the line of scrimmage for years on end, we'll take what we can get. Second team All American (even if it is just ESPN) is better than what we have.

Former 5 star recruit and #1 overall player in his class, CB Tony Grimes transfers to MSU. Had 3 OK years at UNC and transferred to TAMU last year but was hurt. He?ll have 2 years to play. High risk high reward transfer. Could be an NFL draft pick, could be a bust.

Last edited:
MSU adds transfer DT D?Quan Douse, 6-2, 290 from Georgia Tech. Started 24 games at GT. Sold rotation piece they really gives us a good 4 man rotation at DT now. Supposed to be adding another portal player today. Probably a speedy cover LB.

Smith has done well with the portal. Added starters all over the field and key rotation players.

Are we counting MSU players pulling their names as portal adds?

Does cal Haladay (currently red shirt jr) have 2 more years of eligibility - his sr year plus the COVID yr? I don?t think I can take 2 more years of watching him suck at football. Why can?t he enter the portal?

Last edited:

Does cal Haladay (currently red shirt jr) have 2 more years of eligibility - his sr year plus the COVID yr? I don?t think I can take 2 more years of watching him suck at football. Why can?t he enter the portal?

I wish the portal existed why Chris Frey played

I wish the portal existed why Chris Frey played

yeah, he could be the worst linebacker we've had in a long time. Undersized and dumb as the day is long. He and Riley Bullough led perhaps the worst LB crew since I've been watching MSU football.

I know they play different positions (inside vs outside) but I've often compared the two saying Haladay is like Frey without the 15 to 30 yards per game in personal fouls.

Haladay will have a different role in Rossi's defense. I'm thinking more of a situational standup blitzer. Jordan Hall has the MIKE locked down. The transfer from Wisconsin, Jordan Turner, will be another LB. And then the speedier LB will probably be this Matthews and maybe Snow is back healthy enough to get some snaps.

Rossi's defense runs a 4-2-5, but it's different and more flexible, as one of the DEs is a stand up Edge Rusher, so that makes the scheme more of a 3-3-5. But the Nickel can also play closer to the line making it more of a 3-4-4. I think it's more modern, but we will need LBs who can cover, that's why I think Matthews is a great fit, and Snow if healthy will be ideal.

The stand up edge rusher is also important as they need to be able to drop in coverage occasionally. Bai Jobe is the obvious ideal talent for this spot as he's a total freak athlete. Jalen Thompson can probably play either DE spot in this defense. Bogle returning is probably going to get a look at edge as that's what he played at Florida. The DE we brought in from the portal, Dunnigan, is a canbdidate for either spot too.

I also think the staff wants an upgrade at nickel from Grose, who was really bad despite making a wow play once or twice a game.

Old Dominion LB Wayne Matthews commits to MSU. 2 years of eligibility remaining, in 2023 he had 135 tackles, 9.5 TFLs 3.5 sacks and 3 forced fumbles.

6-2, 225 and is immediately our fastest LB. He'll be starting next to Jordan Hall.

Knocks Cal haladay back to the 4th or maybe 5th LB on the team and that's a good thing.

Like Smith's approach to the portal in that he's not looking for development guys, only guys who he thinks can start or at least be in the 2 deep;. Strengthened all 3 levels of the defense.

I think the major portal needs now are WR1 and maybe a 3rd string DT. Luke Newman is a transfer OG/OT that's visiting this weekend and probably commits. We had 27 of our own players enter the portal, we wanted 12 of them back, we got 11 of those 12 back with Zion Young probably heading South as being the lone one we didn't want to lose. The transfer portal didn't have much at all in the way of DT or OT talent, so getting 2 of our own OTs and DTs back from the portal was a big deal.

Last edited:
I know we got rid of some guys that don't matter and I haven't gone through the whole list of Spartans that entered the portal but we definitely did not want to lose both Houser and Leavitt.

I dont care about losing Houser. Would've liked to keep Leavitt, but after the way we pouted I'm fine he's gone too.

I dont care about losing Houser. Would've liked to keep Leavitt, but after the way we pouted I'm fine he's gone too.

I agree Leavitt wouldve been better to retain. But I think that was just kinda bad luck in that the replacement coach already had a pre-existing negative relationship with Leavitt. But the coach is more important than one player, so in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don?t care much either but to claim that we wanted to lose every player we lost except one and everything that happened in the portal was going exactly according to plan is complete nonsense.

I just used the qb position to illustrate how silly that is. I don?t think any coach would say they?d want a QB room with zero experience, zero depth and zero familiarity with the rest of the team. Leavitt would probably be the preferred guy to stay but I bet smith and the staff would take Houser if they couldn?t keep Leavitt especially before they got the commitment from Chiles.

Last edited:
and actually, I do care - at least to some degree. If Chiles gets hurt, I'd rather not rely on some 2 or 3 star true freshman we signed at the last minute.

For me it's more accurate to say I care a bit but I don't think turning this program around hinges on keeping Houser or Leavitt or any other one player.

Last edited:
and actually, I do care - at least to some degree. If Chiles gets hurt, I'd rather not rely on some 2 or 3 star true freshman we signed at the last minute.

For me it's more accurate to say I care a bit but I don't think turning this program around hinges on keeping Houser or Leavitt or any other one player.

They brought in Tommy Schuster to backup Chiles. Lower level, but a 4 year starter.

Back