Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

Katin Houser commits to East Carolina. Hard to believe he couldn't do better but I have no idea who is looking for QBs in the portal.

Wish he would have stayed but I guess it's better to start at East Carolina than be a back up at a rebuilding MSU. Good luck to him.

Katin Houser commits to East Carolina. Hard to believe he couldn't do better but I have no idea who is looking for QBs in the portal.

Wish he would have stayed but I guess it's better to start at East Carolina than be a back up at a rebuilding MSU. Good luck to him.

I never really saw "it" in Katin. Never really seen him flash. I'm more bummed that Leavitt didn't stay.

I never really saw "it" in Katin. Never really seen him flash. I'm more bummed that Leavitt didn't stay.

Same here. I don't think he was the guy and between the two of them, I also would have preferred to see Leavitt stay.

But I was hoping to keep at least one of them even if Chiles is all he's cracked up to be. Whoever wins the starting job (presumably Chiles) isn't going to have a great o-line protecting him, so it would be nice to have some experience in the QB room.

Last edited:
DE Quindarius Dunnigan xfers to MSU from Middle Tennessee State - I'm still bitter about the tournament loss but welcome aboard Quindarius...

Last edited:
No one was expecting a miracle and while most people see yesterday as a success (myself included based on the circumstances), there's still a ton of work to be done. As good as the class is it's still 15th in the B1G and 47th overall with one composite 4 star and eighteen 3 stars.

Hopefully this new staff is better at developing 3 star talent - can't be any worse can they? My biggest concerns in the short term are offensive line and the defense in general, defensive secondary in particular.

It would be nice to see Smith win 7 games next year to build some momentum for recruiting going forward. That doesn't look super hard to do. If you assume losses to uofm, OSU & Oregon then we need to win 7 out of FAU, MD, UL, BC, Iowa, IN, Ill, Purdue and Rutgers. In a normal year, that would mean you have to beat 1 of MD, Iowa or Purdue. If 7 wins is asking too much, he at least has to not put an absolute garbage product on the field and go .500.

We're not going to ever be competitive if we're consistently out-recruited by Illinois, Purdue, Rutgers & Minnesota. We should always do betterr than those teams and need to be (and should be) out-recruiting Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska most years.

Last edited:
Foster and Glover both decided to return.

Geno Vandemark just did too and he was thought to be a lock to Oklahoma. Derrick Harmon is probably back too, rumor is he?s told the coaches just hasn?t announced publicly yet. Edit, Harmon officially back.

Zion Young leaning towards returning to MSU. Windmon too, but the staff isn?t sure about wanting him back.

So basically we lost a bunch of players we didn?t want and retained virtually all of the portal guys we would want. And we added a few portal pieces too obviously. And I think we?ll add a few more after the bowl season.

I?d like to see us add another OG and DT. Maybe another starter quality WR and a grad transfer backup QB. Roster should be improved next year.

Last edited:
We didn?t want houser and Leavitt but we wanted to retain a mediocre guard from a horrible o-line. I know you?re the green tinted lenses guy but give it a rest. Keeping most of the worst offensive line in the conference if not the country isn?t anything to be excited about. If that?s the plan, and we?re to believe it?s a win, we need to have a little pride and aim higher. You can?t polish a turd so quit trying.

How many seasons do you all estimate it will take for Michigan State to contend for a B1G championship?

How many seasons do you all estimate it will take for Michigan State to contend for a B1G championship?

Hard to tell. Gonna need the 1st year just to see what kind of talent is really there. Figure out if it was lack of talent or horrible coaching the last 2 years....or both. I'm hopeful that the coaches were holding them back. Tuckers last 2 recruiting classes were pretty good, so maybe there's more to work with than it looked.

Tough to say with so many unknowns about Smith, the rest of the staff and the players. If there is talent and the coaches are what we hope, it shouldn?t take too long to be competitive considering the condition of the B1G. The addition of Oregon and Washington could make that harder but it is unlikely anyone will get the four top teams in the same season.

Last edited:
Few portal moves. Khris Bogle has withdrawn from the portal and is returning to MSU, staff wanted him, so they must see something. With him it's all about staying healthy, he has the talent. Jacoby Windmon is going to the NFL draft, probably as an undrafted FA.

Oregon State saw a couple new guys in the portal. OG/OC Tanner Miller, who is likely to come to MSU. All American 3rd team OG, bu he's on the small side and I think he'd play OC at MSU.

WR Silas Bolden is also in the portal. Was Oregon State's leading WR, he's a small quick WR at 5-8, 165 lbs. More likely to stay out West than come to MSU, but MSU is a factor still.

We'll probably add 1 or 2 DTs and a coverage LB from the portal. Also looking for a starting CB. A startng WR is also a priority.

Last edited:
Back