Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU pres. Resigns

Heard some is suppose to come from tax payers . Why is that when MSU makes over 2 billion a year .

because it's a "state-funded" school. If it were a private institution the state/taxpayers wouldn't have to pay any of it.

As far as MSU making over $2B a year....what are you talking about???

Mumphery really couldn't have picked a better time for that lawsuit, eh?

I can imagine Governor Fatboy trying to use this for PR: "What do you mean we weren't tough enough on sex offenders? A sex offender is suing us for being too tough on him right now!"

Follow up question no one will ask: "You had already expelled him for sexual assault, yet you let him come back on campus for a workout, where he committed this other sexual assault. ... Why?"

Follow up question no one will ask: "You had already expelled him for sexual assault, yet you let him come back on campus for a workout, where he committed this other sexual assault. ... Why?"

They're being sued for that too.

The female student in the case, who is not named in the suit, has also sued MSU in federal court, alleging the school helped Mumphery come back to campus after it had banned him.

Last edited:
They're being sued for that too.

I know. brevity is the soul of wit though. if you don't draw the line somewhere on including all the horrible things they've done, your post will go on ad infinitum, and clog up the internets.

I know. brevity is the soul of wit though. if you don't draw the line somewhere on including all the horrible things they've done, your post will go on ad infinitum, and clog up the internets.

True, but it's noteworthy, and a bit of a failing in the headline to point out, that they're getting sued from both sides on this one.

Maybe there's something in the water in East Lansing?

That might explain why Grant Perry got in so much trouble there...

True, but it's noteworthy, and a bit of a failing in the headline to point out, that they're getting sued from both sides on this one.

I had already pointed that out earlier in this thread

it is a long thread, though, so you're excused for forgetting.

Why is MSU still paying this person? She agreed to testify on a certain date, that date didn't work, they changed the date to a day she's on vacation, and now you get a New York Times article with her lawyer complaining about the inconvenience followed by a restatement of her badly worded blame-avoiding resignation.

?They set the date without even asking if there was an inconvenience,?

He's upset because they already bought plane tickets for the initial date and can't get a refund.

U.S. Marshals Serve Ex-Michigan State President Lou Anna Simon With Subpoena

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/sports/lou-anna-simon.html

It looks to me like MSU's selectivity is going to drop. I think I saw speculation that they'd admit larger classes to bring in more funding in light of the settlement. Terrible, stupid, improperly motivated leadership. MSU deserves better.

It looks to me like MSU's selectivity is going to drop. I think I saw speculation that they'd admit larger classes to bring in more funding in light of the settlement. Terrible, stupid, improperly motivated leadership. MSU deserves better.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/2016/06/29/hate-algebra-msu-has-good-news/86243946/

Hate algebra? MSU has good news.
Beginning in fall 2017, students will be able to fulfill their general math requirement without passing college-level algebra.

Bad leadership

From the article:
EAST LANSING - Cameron Newhouse, like many college students, struggles with math. The 26-year-old senior tried and failed three times to pass college math classes at Michigan State University.

?It got to the point that I wasn?t passing math here, so I went to (Lansing Community College) and passed it there,? she said, crediting smaller classes and more one-on-one help from professors.

But heading into her senior year, she still lacked a necessary college algebra credit​

how can anyone admitted to a Big Ten caliber university be that bad at pre-algebra?

shit!

also... a 26-year-old undergrad?

I had pre-algebra in 7th grade. I turned 13 that year. I got an "A"

how can anyone admitted to a Big Ten caliber university be that bad at pre-algebra?

shit!

Considering how expensive college is these days, you want to get through as fast as possible, but on the other hand it should be no surprise if more people now take time off to work along the way or before enrolling.

A long time ago, I heard bad things about the lower level math classes at MSU and it being somewhat common for struggling MSU students to go to LCC for the better teaching. I was given the option to take classes at either place, no cost to me, and was advised to take the LCC course even though I had to drive past East Lansing every day to get there. Much longer commute.

Last edited:
Considering how expensive college is these days, you want to get through as fast as possible, but on the other hand it should be no surprise if more people now take time off to work along the way or before enrolling.

A long time ago, I heard bad things about the lower level math classes at MSU and it being somewhat common for struggling MSU students to go to LCC for the better teaching. I was given the option to take classes at either place, no cost to me, and was advised to take the LCC course even though I had to drive past East Lansing every day to get there. Much longer commute.

You should probably specify that you were taking classes there in high school because you were smart, not in college because you were dumb.

otherwise you might get ridiculed by other posters here.

You should probably specify that you were taking classes there in high school because you were smart, not in college because you were dumb.

otherwise you might get ridiculed by other posters here.

Nah. I've got that Michigan Arrogance.

From the article:
EAST LANSING - Cameron Newhouse, like many college students, struggles with math. The 26-year-old senior tried and failed three times to pass college math classes at Michigan State University.

?It got to the point that I wasn?t passing math here, so I went to (Lansing Community College) and passed it there,? she said, crediting smaller classes and more one-on-one help from professors.

But heading into her senior year, she still lacked a necessary college algebra credit​

shit!

I graduated at 25. I was in the military, though. Maybe he has a similar excuse/reason.

Back