Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Golf Tour

What does that have to do with anything?

It has to do with that I'm far more unhappy with the U.S. Government and its agencies in regards to relations with Saudi Arabia than I am with a handful of professional golfers.

And the saddest aspect of this is that I can't believe that the CIA's report is accurate.

It has to do with that I'm far more unhappy with the U.S. Government and its agencies in regards to relations with Saudi Arabia than I am with a handful of professional golfers.

And the saddest aspect of this is that I can't believe that the CIA's report is accurate.
But it has nothing to do with my hatred for LIV. Talking golf here.

But it has nothing to do with my hatred for LIV. Talking golf here.

To me, the dots are pretty close together. I don't like LIV either. Not the business model, nor the golfing model.

I, however, am outraged over the U.S. government's close and disingenuous ties with the Saudi-Arabian government.

Seems to me that they are intrinsically intertwined. Both are an endorsement of Saudi Arabian policy and principles. And the U.S. government is by far the greatest offender. And these golfers don't seem to be too concerned that people are treated at chattel in SA in general as well as in US airports in particular, thanks to 9/11. After all, they fly NetJets.

Last edited:
To me, the dots are pretty close together. I don't like LIV either. Not the business model, nor the golfing model.

I, however, am outraged over the U.S. government's close and disingenuous ties with the Saudi-Arabian government.

Seems to me that they are intrinsically intertwined. Both are an endorsement of Saudi Arabian policy and principles. And the U.S. government is by far the greatest offender. And these golfers don't seem to be too concerned that people are treated at chattel in SA in general as well as in US airports in particular, thanks to 9/11. After all, they fly NetJets.

add that to the fact that the PGA has no issue with golfers playing in the Saudi International tournament from 2019-2023.

Okay so. Start another thread then.

No. This is relevant to this thread. It's my main objection to LIV. You have yours.
I don't like them playing PGA sponsored events or the governments dealings with them just as much. I just didn't know we were going to have a political debate.

I don't like them playing PGA sponsored events or the governments dealings with them just as much. I just didn't know we were going to have a political debate.

This was you, right? Link

That reads pretty political to me.

this is important news for aging white "athletes" with excessive gambling and/or divorce-related debts

why do you assume everyone who appears to have a better life than you is just as or even more miserable than you are?

this is important news for aging white "athletes" with excessive gambling and/or divorce-related debts

All I say is that I see, interact, and play rounds of golf with black people as much as I do white people. At the local country club? No. But I'm not interested in playing there.

so now they are merging

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/37805785/pga-tour-liv-golf-dp-world-tour-announce-merger

I thought the Saudi money was blood money :lmao:

sounds like the Saudis decided to cut their losses and the PGA was happy to buy them out to eliminate a threat to their monopoly. win/win among those two.

I recall some of the LIV players potentially having burned a bridge with the PGA when they left... so they might find themselves screwed in some way (if the PGA folks hold grudges)

sounds like the Saudis decided to cut their losses and the PGA was happy to buy them out to eliminate a threat to their monopoly. win/win among those two.

I recall some of the LIV players potentially having burned a bridge with the PGA when they left... so they might find themselves screwed in some way (if the PGA folks hold grudges)

Probably Tiger Woods just won?t buy them rounds of cocktails.

I think you probably have it backwards. It's more likely that LIV was going to prevail in the lawsuit so the PGA decided to cut it's losses and merge with them. The Saudi PIF is the sole investor in the newly formed for profit entity that will run all of golf (except 3 of the majors) - and they have first right of refusal for any future capital investment.

As for the players, I think it's also the opposite. Some PIF official is the chairman of the new entity while the PGA commissioner is now his top employee - doesn't look like the PGA has much leverage to screw over the LIV players. LIV guys got 8 and 9 figure paydays to join LIV, plus equity stakes in their teams (plus any money they made on the tour). The value of those teams post merger will likely skyrocket. The guys that got screwed were the ones who stayed loyal to the PGA - their commissioner sold them a bill of goods then he took the Saudi money and they got nothing.

Last edited:
Back