Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

New Golf Tour

I think you probably have it backwards. It's more likely that LIV was going to prevail in the lawsuit so the PGA decided to cut it's losses and merge with them. The Saudi PIF is the sole investor in the newly formed for profit entity that will run all of golf - and they have first right of refusal for any future capital investment.

As for the players, I think it's also the opposite. Some PIF official is the chairman of the new entity while the PGA commissioner is now his top employee - doesn't look like the PGA has much leverage to screw over the LIV players. LIV guys got 8 and 9 figure paydays to join LIV, plus equity stakes in their teams (plus any money they made on the tour). The value of those teams post merger will likely skyrocket. The guys that got screwed were the ones who stayed loyal to the PGA - their commissioner sold them a bill of goods then he took the Saudi money and they got nothing.

this is what I took from the article as well. However, I'm sure that all of the details are not public yet.

this is what I took from the article as well. However, I'm sure that all of the details are not public yet.

they're not all out yet, and I suppose the Saudis could try to f the LIV guys out of their equity, but I doubt it and I don't see a scenario where McIlroy, Rahm, Spieth, Thomas, etc get anything close to what the LIV guys got.

they're not all out yet, and I suppose the Saudis could try to f the LIV guys out of their equity, but I doubt it and I don't see a scenario where McIlroy, Rahm, Spieth, Thomas, etc get anything close to what the LIV guys got.

I agree.

I would be curious to see exactly how much these LIV golfers really got "up front"

I'm not seeing anything in the article about LIV prevailing in the lawsuit. where did you get that from? anti-trust lawsuits in sports are notoriously fraught with disaster, even if you win them: see, e.g. Donald Trump and the USFL

FWIW there's a quote (albeit anonymous) from someone that the PGA had been doing well in court.

and I saw on CNBC tv at work the PGA will establish a board to oversee the joint entity and appoint a majority of the directors for it.

Now, I'm not a genius, but it seems to me if I was running a profitable golf league competing with another league, and beating them in court, I wouldn't suddenly sell out to them and give them control over everything.

I'm not seeing anything in the article about LIV prevailing in the lawsuit. where did you get that from? anti-trust lawsuits in sports are notoriously fraught with disaster, even if you win them: see, e.g. Donald Trump and the USFL

FWIW there's a quote (albeit anonymous) from someone that the PGA had been doing well in court.

and I saw on CNBC tv at work the PGA will establish a board to oversee the joint entity and appoint a majority of the directors for it.

Now, I'm not a genius, but it seems to me if I was running a profitable golf league competing with another league, and beating them in court, I wouldn't suddenly sell out to them and give them control over everything.

I think what could have been a likely outcome would have been that the golfers would have been free to play whenever and wherever they wanted, which would have been a disaster for the PGA tour

it's speculation, but the facts of the merger indicate it's more likely than this being a PGA bailout of LIV. Monahan looks to be the only PGA person that benefits from this deal. the Saudi PIF Governor Al-Rumayyan is the Chairman and they're the sole investor with exclusive rights on future capital investments. That doesn't sound like the kind of deal you get if you're about to go bankrupt and lose in court.

We'll see as more details come out but at this point unless the reporting so far has it completely wrong, it looks like LIV got a great deal and as far as the players go, it seems clear that the LIV guys are coming out way ahead of the PGA players.

Last edited:
it's speculation, but the facts of the merger indicate it's more likely than this being a PGA bailout of LIV. Monahan looks to be the only PGA person that benefits from this deal. the Saudi PIF Governor Al-Rumayyan is the Chairman and they're the sole investor with exclusive rights on future capital investments. That doesn't sound like the kind of deal you get if you're about to go bankrupt and lose in court.

We'll see as more details come out but at this point unless the reporting so far has it completely wrong, it looks like LIV got a great deal and as far as the players go, it seems clear that the LIV guys are coming out way ahead of the PGA players.

My guess is most of these PGA tour members that stood beside Monahan are going to be pretty pissed. It turns out that the LIV players were right all along (as I suspected)

Did you guys know that regardless of what happens, golf sucks?

I love golf. I'm getting ready to head out in about 30 minutes. It's probably the best "sport" because you can pretty much play your entire life.

Last edited:
I love golf. I'm getting ready to head out in about 30 minutes. It's probably the best "sport" because you can pretty much play your entire life.

same with: bowling, shuffleboard, tiddlywinks, marbles, bocci, and any sport where you don't have to bend your back much or your knees

same with: bowling, shuffleboard, tiddlywinks, marbles, bocci, and any sport where you don't have to bend your back much or your knees

Most guys that try the game really love it. But it's not for everyone. However, about 42M Americans play golf.

As far as the activities you mentioned above. Bowling is OK, Bocci ball on the beach can be fun. I don't know what tiddlywinks is, and have never tried shuffleboard.

BTW...you can't hit a golf ball very well if you don't bend your knees.

Most guys that try the game really love it. But it's not for everyone. However, about 42M Americans play golf.

As far as the activities you mentioned above. Bowling is OK, Bocci ball on the beach can be fun. I don't know what tiddlywinks is, and have never tried shuffleboard.

BTW...you can't hit a golf ball very well if you don't bend your knees.

Your back is probably a lot more involved than in those other games as well.

I don't play nearly as much as I used to (down to about 5 rounds a year) because I have 3 kids still in elementary school and a wife that doesn't play. So far none of my kids have shown interest. If I had more time, I'd definitely play more - I miss it but nearly as much as I thought when I used to play 40+ rounds/yr.

Last edited:
Did you guys know that regardless of what happens, golf sucks?

Yeah, I get it. People who can't play golf say that all the time. It's a great activity from all angles. Exercise, focus, fun, meet people, time spent with friends, and there's always room for improvement.

I would enjoy a round with tomdalton22 and Spartanmack.

Anyway. Regarding PGA/LIV merger. Double Bogey. I speculate that a lot of frustrated PGA players who remained "loyal" will "not forgive" PGA pezzovante Monahan, that stronz.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, I get it. People who can't play golf say that all the time. It's a great activity from all angles. Exercise, focus, fun, meet people, time spent with friends, and there's always room for improvement.

I would enjoy a round with tomdalton22 and Spartanmack.

This was always my problem.

Way too much room for improvement, and improvement came at a snail?s pace.

From PGA testimony before Congress re: the impending merger...

?They?ve got a management team that wants to destroy the Tour,? Dunne said of LIV Golf. ?And even though [LIV] could take five or six players a year, they have an unlimited horizon and an unlimited amount of money.

?So it isn?t like the product is better. It?s just that there?s a lot more money that will make people move.

?I?m concerned with exactly what the senators are worried about, [but] I?m more concerned, though. If we do nothing they?re going to end up owning golf if we don?t. They can. They can do it. Because it isn?t that big. It?s only a couple of hundred players [on the PGA Tour].?

I assume they are testifying under oath, but that doesn't mean this isn't b.s. However, taken at face value, it certainly doesn't sound like PGA had LIV over a barrel.

people lie under oath ALL THE TIME, and nothing ever happens to them.

So is the merger off? That must mean he?s the new favorite to win the a Bone Saw Invitational.

Last edited:
I see it has an opportunity to admit talented golfers into the PGA. The LIV format on its face I find uninteresting, not to mention the political aspects, but we also all know that the USGOV and INTEL have been in the warp and woof of Saudi affairs since FDR. And they have been anything but savory.

Back