Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Preview of the new clothes

Nike's marketing budget plus endorsements for 2015 was $9.2Bln, that's more than 4x New Balance's TOTAL SALES. And NB manufactures just 25% of their shoes in the United States (70% and 5% are made in China and Vietnam, respectively) and probably none of their apparel, although NB probably licenses it's brand for apparel. It's absurd to think Nike could simply shift manufacturing to the US, keep prices the same and hold everything else (besides those evil profits) constant. This comparison and your conclusion are totally false - this post is beyond meaningless.

Those people following you off the soap box aren't Nike security, their Bernie Sanders supporters wanting to invite you to a drum circle.

I remember a headline from The Onion, probably 96-98 or so, that read - "Nike to stop making shoes, focus exclusively on commericals"

It was when the ads were those vague, artsy black and white ads where at the end, they'd put up the swoosh but otherwise you'd never know it was Nike.

[EDIT] - I was right about the year (1996) but off on the headline a bit -- http://www.theonion.com/article/nike-to-cease-manufacturing-products-1687

I think Nike is as much a brand as it is clothing for sure. Hence, Jumpman, MDen.com crashing and all the nonsense all summer long..

Last edited:
Yeah...there's a part of me that sees all this Jordan stuff and can't help but think of Brandon's focus on branding.

Nike's marketing budget plus endorsements for 2015 was $9.2Bln, that's more than 4x New Balance's TOTAL SALES. And NB manufactures just 25% of their shoes in the United States (70% and 5% are made in China and Vietnam, respectively) and probably none of their apparel, although NB probably licenses it's brand for apparel. It's absurd to think Nike could simply shift manufacturing to the US, keep prices the same and hold everything else (besides those evil profits) constant. This comparison and your conclusion are totally false - this post is beyond meaningless.

Those people following you off the soap box aren't Nike security, their Bernie Sanders supporters wanting to invite you to a drum circle.

pulling a bunch of sales figures out if your ass doesn't disprove anything I claimed. plenty of shit was and still is profitably manufactured here

Yeah...there's a part of me that sees all this Jordan stuff and can't help but think of Brandon's focus on branding.

in Canham's book he talks about how in the 70's the ath dept was at the forefront of licensing the logos, putting out block-M branded merchandise and what not. he would even give seminars to other AD's on how to do what we were doing. so it was going on long before Brandon.

It wasn't that Brandon commercialized the brand, but how he did it, particularly gouging fans on ticket prices.

pulling a bunch of sales figures out if your ass doesn't disprove anything I claimed. plenty of shit was and still is profitably manufactured here

they're pulled from 10-Ks, not my ass and yes, it does disprove everything you said. and no, plenty of stuff is not manufactured here at a profit - if it were we wouldnt have such high unemployment, so many mothballed factories and our economy wouldn't be so heavily dominated by service jobs. if it were plenty, why are you always bitching about things being built overseas?

first you say athletic shoe and sports apparel demand is inelastic so cost doesn't matter (and you claim to have studied economics) to support your argument that Nike should manufacture in the US, then you contradict what you just said not to mention thousands of posts of your libtard drivel over the years with claims about the robust manufacturing sector. you just can't help yourself, can you!

Last edited:

Tiger must be so mad right now - they probably cost him a couple majors with the sub-par equipment they made him use when they first got in the equipment business. I think Phil Mickelson once said we had no idea how good Tiger really is because he plays with such garbage equipment and if you just gave him the ball Phil played with, Tiger would win every tournament walking away. Poor Tiger.

Back