Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

I agree with the "let it play out approach".

He can't hire one of the New England coaches until after the Superbowl now, so if he does want to make a move, there is no reason for him not to sit with Caldwell, sit with the players, and get an honest assessment going.

Nothing to be gained by jumping in right away except easing the anxiety of the fans.

I say let the man take his time, since he has it available anyway, and make sure he's comfortable with the decision he's about to make. It's not a small decision.

Does anyone actually think Quinn did not talk to those Pats coordinators while still officially with the Pats? You know...

"So, hypothetically...i might apply for that Lions GM position and...hypothetically...might replace Caldwell...so...what do you think? Would you be interested? If not, that's fine, I'm just curious because I think you would be perfect for it."..."Sure I'm interested. We can do the whole interview thing and all that if...hypothetically...you got that job, just keep it between us till then, ok?"

Not violating rules for them to discuss it when Quinn was still officially with Pats...and frankly I cannot imagine a situation where a conversation would not have played out like that. Quinn was probably asked by Wood and Martha who he might interview in search and he probably said he feels good about one of those guys which likely helped him get the job. Maximize your leverage and opportunity. As long as it doesn't violate rules, no one I can think of would do any different...and plenty of immoral guys who would "bend" the rules past breaking...but what I described is totally legit.

As for why he doesn't fire Caldwell yet, a billion things can happen. You don't fire Caldwell till the replacement is ready. People have unexpected medical or personal things happen that prevent them from following through with goals every day. Don't fire Caldwell till the last second to protect again the unexpected.

Honestly, I'm not sure talking to the players should matter on Caldwell. I understand Jim would still be paid but it's a shitty thing to do not let him get a chance to go somewhere else. I also think he has to know by now so just say it. No one takes this long. Typically they're quick as hell.

Does anyone actually think Quinn did not talk to those Pats coordinators while still officially with the Pats? You know...

"So, hypothetically...i might apply for that Lions GM position and...hypothetically...might replace Caldwell...so...what do you think? Would you be interested? If not, that's fine, I'm just curious because I think you would be perfect for it."..."Sure I'm interested. We can do the whole interview thing and all that if...hypothetically...you got that job, just keep it between us till then, ok?"

Not violating rules for them to discuss it when Quinn was still officially with Pats...and frankly I cannot imagine a situation where a conversation would not have played out like that. Quinn was probably asked by Wood and Martha who he might interview in search and he probably said he feels good about one of those guys which likely helped him get the job. Maximize your leverage and opportunity. As long as it doesn't violate rules, no one I can think of would do any different...and plenty of immoral guys who would "bend" the rules past breaking...but what I described is totally legit.

As for why he doesn't fire Caldwell yet, a billion things can happen. You don't fire Caldwell till the replacement is ready. People have unexpected medical or personal things happen that prevent them from following through with goals every day. Don't fire Caldwell till the last second to protect again the unexpected.

he worked for the Patriots...of course he bent the rules...it's the Patriot way!

It's quite funny to see so many people turning on Quinn less than 3 days on the job. This fan base needs some wins (that matter) badly.

It's quite funny to see so many people turning on Quinn less than 3 days on the job. This fan base needs some wins (that matter) badly.

Didn't realize we were all turning on a guy but just make a decision. Not rocket science. If he keeps Caldwell then I know the decision maker is, Martha.

Didn't realize we were all turning on a guy but just make a decision. Not rocket science. If he keeps Caldwell then I know the decision maker is, Martha.

A bit presumptuous don't you think? Considering every poll I've seen shows the majority of fans want Caldwell one more year, is it out the realm of possibility that after speaking to Caldwell that Quinn might favor continuity over the other head coach options?

I just don't understand the rush some of you are in. If the candidate(s) he really wanted to interview was in danger of being employed by someone else I'm sure he would act.

I just think he is going to make sure Caldwell is a fit out of respect for him. The man has been in the game a long time and is well respected. Just think of the message it would send to other potential coach's if he just offed him. I think he is calculated in this whole thing. Honestly, I think Caldwell will save himself. I also do not believe that Quinn has his mind set on current Patriot coach's. He has met a lot of people over the years.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A bit presumptuous don't you think? Considering every poll I've seen shows the majority of fans want Caldwell one more year, is it out the realm of possibility that after speaking to Caldwell that Quinn might favor continuity over the other head coach options?

I just don't understand the rush some of you are in. If the candidate(s) he really wanted to interview was in danger of being employed by someone else I'm sure he would act.

I think there's a reason why GM typically look for a new HC right away. So they don't have a HC who's on the hot seat, 1 more year means that. You don't want to be looking for a HC in year 2. And maybe there is someone better, and that's assuming Caldwell is eventually fired.

Assuming he's fired, he's losing on possible candidates because they're being hired elsewhere. Assuming he stays, I'm going to go with the "Quinn is a dumb ass" crowd.

And to be honest, I did like his press conference. I thought it was a good hire when I first heard. I just can't stand Jim Caldwell as head coach.

And to be honest, I did like his press conference. I thought it was a good hire when I first heard. I just can't stand Jim Caldwell as head coach.

I think that's what it boils down to whether people admit it or not. It's less about the GM having their choice of available coaches and more about getting rid of Caldwell because they hate him (which is fine, while I don't hate Caldwell I also won't shed a tear if he's gone).

It's also about a possible coaching change next season. Based on 2015, a new HC is possible. I think that's a bad thing for a new, first time GM.

Another former Patroits scout, Jon Robinson gets the Titans GM job.

If Caldwell was staying, I would think an announcement would have taken place already. I personally think Caldwell has one foot out the door already. It's much easier for Quinn to tell the fanbase that he's staying. Case closed....lets focus on 2016. That's not the case. Quinn has someone in mind and is waiting for a chance to talk to someone from the teams that are still in the playoffs. My guess is that McDaniels is his guy....

Last edited:
He brings in his guy from ne and we're married to that for awhile. Good news is that will be stable. Bad news is its stable with a complete unknown that had little to no experience. I think the Caldwell decision still rests on what his coordinators do our else he would be starting the interview process already with the rooney rule dufusses.

Last edited:
Hey Elrod and Hughes. I still read this message board often lol. Thanks for thinking of me. I don't think I was right about anything actually (remember Jason Smith walking out with the jersey over his shoulder? haha). I think the only thing I was right about was because my wife dated Dan Orlovsky the first time he was here, but that obviously gave me no football insider info. The bad news is, I really had that luxury box for the game and was hoping some guys from this board would come and hang out and do some drinking. We are all older now so I think it would be fun (maybe not Tony, he would probably try starting a fight), but I've been on these boards since the ESPN days in 2001 with DrewMike99 and Spawn. Back then people were saying how great of hire Millen was! Have mourned the loss of guys like that Vatech kid (esper-something), and others. Enjoy seeing the pissing matches with the new crew, and you guys are still so wrong about so much and never admit it. Especially Ink and Tony. They are the Donald Trumps of this board except they have no money.

I guess I worry about the delay because of the other coaches. If it's not Caldwell maybe the new HC won't retain Cooter and/or Austin. Or all the other coaches, QB, ST, Secondary etc? Need time to gather new people.

The only reason Caldwell will be coach next year is if McDaniels says no / changes his mind.

I normally hope NE loses but this week specifically so the process can be sped up.

Back