Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

Its either McDaniels, Patricia or Caldwell. Not sure what I think about McDaniels, he caused an uncomfortable locker room when he became the coach of the Broncos.

Also I kind of think Calvin is waiting to see who the coach will be before making the decision. If it's not Caldwell I think he retires. Doesn't want to deal with another coaching change.

Its either McDaniels, Patricia or Caldwell. Not sure what I think about McDaniels, he caused an uncomfortable locker room when he became the coach of the Broncos.

Also I kind of think Calvin is waiting to see who the coach will be before making the decision. If it's not Caldwell I think he retires. Doesn't want to deal with another coaching change.

He wont be drafting tim tebow this time. And he wouldn't have that type of power with Quinn here who im sure they are comfortable working together at this point. Totally different situation. Mcdaniels in Denver was a new hc that was given way too much of a voice.

He wont be drafting tim tebow this time. And he wouldn't have that type of power with Quinn here who im sure they are comfortable working together at this point. Totally different situation. Mcdaniels in Denver was a new hc that was given way too much of a voice.

Hopefully that was it.
He also pissed off Marshall by benching him for season finale game that was important. Of course Marshall could of deserved it. Just hope McDaniels isn't a petty little man that lets minor things get in the way.

Hopefully that was it.
He also pissed off Marshall by benching him for season finale game that was important. Of course Marshall could of deserved it. Just hope McDaniels isn't a petty little man that lets minor things get in the way.

Bill benched a back that rushed for over 200 yards the week before in an important game...basically just cause. He never saw the field again. We see him as a genius for it. Just sayin...

Bill benched a back that rushed for over 200 yards the week before in an important game...basically just cause. He never saw the field again. We see him as a genius for it. Just sayin...

Yep. There is usually another reason. I remember when Leshoure, in year 2 (his first), had 800 yards. Basically sat the entire next year. 800 yards was a solid year for a Lions RB.

Edit: Also had 9 TD's.

Last edited:

Not sure what the point is. A 3rd string guy that never rushed for more than 100 yards before that 1 game, and never did again. He had a career game good for him. It is not exactly the same thing as benching Brandon Marshall week 17.

A win or go home game is not the same thing as a week 12 game against the Lions.

Not sure what the point is. A 3rd string guy that never rushed for more than 100 yards before that 1 game, and never did again. He had a career game good for him. It is not exactly the same thing as benching Brandon Marshall week 17.

A win or go home game is not the same thing as a week 12 game against the Lions.
To strengthen my point. That rb was late to 1 practice. Brandon marshall was a nucklehead for half a decade. Do you remember him punting the ball away during practices and shit? Guy was a moron. I will say. ..he cleaned up his act. But he ran himself out of Denver.

To strengthen my point. That rb was late to 1 practice. Brandon marshall was a nucklehead for half a decade. Do you remember him punting the ball away during practices and shit? Guy was a moron. I will say. ..he cleaned up his act. But he ran himself out of Denver.
Wasn't the reason they bench Marshall because they felt like he was exaggerating an injury? Calvin is always missing practice because of an injury, is he going to bench our 24 million dollar WR.

Guy has a bigger ego than Schwartz did. Maybe failing finally gave him some humility, but he seems like another guy that thinks he is the smartest man in the room at all times. In his 3 years without Belichick and Brady he has failed pretty hard. Poor years in Denver and horrible year as OC in St. Louis (12 points a game). He made them so bad they left the state a few short years later.

Weeeelllp!. IMO if Quinn goes and talks to the players and hears nothing but high praise for Caldwell and a preference for him to stay then I don't see how he then turns around and gives him the boot. If he doesn't want to get off on the wrong foot with the existing unit that is. I see this as two possible outcomes really.

a) Keep Caldwell, cooter stays, Austin perhaps even as well (still hasn't been hired by anyone surprisingly.) Calvin gives it one more year, easier schedule gets em back to the playoffs and who knows.. a shot is a shot they have a great year.

b) Caldwell goes, as well as cooter and austin, Quinn hires McDainels (shudder) Or the other pats guy (don't know much about him) New offensive and defensive schemes are implemented, Calvin says the hell with that and hangs em up, new systems then lead to a wasted year before any chance of getting back to contention, by the time things start to work Stafford hasn't gotten any younger, and before ya know it rinse wash repeat the cycle of unmitigated shit continues

all IMO of course. I would prefer option A

Last edited:
Weeeelllp!. IMO if Quinn goes and talks to the players and hears nothing but high praise for Caldwell and a preference for him to stay then I don't see how he then turns around and gives him the boot. If he doesn't want to get off on the wrong foot with the existing unit that is. I see this as two possible outcomes really.

a) Keep Caldwell, cooter stays, Austin perhaps even as well (still hasn't been hired by anyone surprisingly.) Calvin gives it one more year, easier schedule gets em back to the playoffs and who knows.. a shot is a shot they have a great year.

b) Caldwell goes, as well as cooter and austin, Quinn hires McDainels (shudder) Or the other pats guy (don't know much about him) New offensive and defensive schemes are implemented, Calvin says the hell with that and hangs em up, new systems then lead to a wasted year before any chance of getting back to contention, by the time things start to work Stafford hasn't gotten any younger, and before ya know it rinse wash repeat the cycle of unmitigated shit continues

Why would new schemes lead to a wasted year? We went to the playoffs in year 1 with an easy schedule and Caldwell and Lombardi and Austin.

He's not going to listen to the players about keeping their HC nor should he. They're all going to say they love him and he's a great coach etc. A good GM doesn't do that.

If Calvin actually stays because of Caldwell and leaves with someone else as HC then he's not the person I thought him to be.

Why would new schemes lead to a wasted year? We went to the playoffs in year 1 with an easy schedule and Caldwell and Lombardi and Austin.

Typically it takes time for a unit to get a completey new system down cold, I wouldn't expect serious contention year one, that and maybe I just can't stand the thought of McDaniels I think he's a douche

http://www.freep.com/longform/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/17/detroit-lions-bob-quinn/78923258/
New Lions GM graduated from ?Ivy League of scouting?. Good read.
HARD-WORKER RISES FROM PATRIOTS INTERN TO LIONS GM.
Freep

?Things in New England, when I started there 16 years ago, didn?t happen overnight,? Quinn said. ?It?s a step-by-step, day-by-day, month-by-month process. One of many things I learned in New England was, we?re always striving to get better, whether it?s scouting, whether it?s coaching, whether it?s in the weight room, nutrition, analytics. If we can get one step better every day, that?s putting this organization in the right direction".

Back