Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Lions and Suh NOT close to a deal

Not surprising. Been saying since last year this would be his last year in Detroit. The larger cap increase gave some hope, but still thought it was unlikely.

We aren't in a position to offer him what he will get as a free agent. In the prime of his career there is no reason to take a "home town" discount.

Very concerning if true though I don't trust Chris Mortensen and mlive piggy backing off them.

Mortensen is one of the only guys in the ESPN circle that I actually trust.

And alot can happen. Lions could change their offer quickly for one. Plus winning this year makes Detroit more desirable I'm sure.

Winning only matters if offers are close. We don't have room to offer what he will most likely get in free agency.

Suh is smart. Once Fairley rededicated himself losing weight and such, Suh knew that Fairley is going to go beast mode this year, just like he did in his final year at Auburn. They will both have monster years working off of each other and get huge deals, whether in Detroit or elsewhere.

Winning only matters if offers are close. We don't have room to offer what he will most likely get in free agency.

We have room for 14/15 per year. If some teams offers him more than that, they are really dumb.

You do know that link is wrong. We have 1.9 milion in space right now. Fact. Spotrac is counting 2 million of dead money(base salary) on Houston that isn't actually counting against Detroit.

And next year we have the room to handle a new contract for Suh even if his cap number is like 17 million.

This is the official report updated every day from the league

https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

Last edited:
You do know that link is wrong. We have 1.9 milion in space right now. Fact. Spotrac is counting 2 million of dead money(base salary) on Houston that isn't actually counting against Detroit.

And next year we have the room to handle a new contract for Suh even if his cap number is like 17 million.

This is the official report updated every day from the league

https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

You act like we are swaggering around flush with space. Other teams can sign him in that same range if they wish. The Jets have $22 mil according to your link. You think Rex wouldn't want his hands on Suh, I'd love to see him as a 3-4 end myself.

That's just one example. Raiders? The average team in your link has $10 mil we have $2.

Last edited:
So if we have $1.9 mil, 30 other teams have more and will have more next year.

That's just the carry over. You do realize the numbers change alot for 2015. We have 128 million committed right now for 2015 and more room with the carry over. That 128 committed has Suh at 13 million (still count the player option year until Suh opts out). And the cap will increase over 133 million. So yes we can handle Suh at a 17 million cap number. Plus we have restruture options with Tulloch, Quin and Bush. And we have a cut option if Jason Jones doesn't produce (3.1 million). And depending how they structure the contract, Suh may not have a 17 million cap number in 2015. Could be around 12-13 million. So many options for Detroit.

You act like we are swaggering around flush with space. Other teams can sign him in that same range if they wish.

We have enough to keep Suh at a 14/15 million per year deal. Lots of ways to structure it too. But the Lions might not want to give him Richard Sherman money.

15 is too much, Stafford has a lot of money coming his was in 2016/2017. Same with Calvin.

Not to mention he is still under a microscope, Suh is always going to be called for penalties, be a stupid play away from a multiple game suspension.
Not saying Suh isn't worth it, just not worth it to us. Could cost us a well rounded team in the future.

15 is too much, Stafford has a lot of money coming his was in 2016/2017. Same with Calvin.

Not to mention he is still under a microscope, Suh is always going to be called for penalties, be a stupid play away from a multiple game suspension.
Not saying Suh isn't worth it, just not worth it to us. Could cost us a well rounded team in the future.

Stafford should get a new deal after 2015. Calvin will have a big number but the 2015 and 2016 numbers are manageable for the other contracts on the team. Suh can get 15 million per and the cap could still be manageable for him early (first three years just like Calvin). After 2015, the restructure money/original option bonus money is off the books for Suh. There easily ways to keep all three and have other decent sized contracts plus many players on rookie deals.

Last edited:
I think the point is that no DT has enough impact on the game to warrant $15M per year.

I think the point is that no DT has enough impact on the game to warrant $15M per year.

Suh has DE like numbers in overall pressure the last 3 years combined. And the market is changing with this cap rise. I'd rather them pay 12-13 but 14-15 may be his asking price. And that may be why they aren't even close.

In the open market 14-15 is very possible for him.

Comes down to this. Is Suh more important than a combination of Reggie bush, Golden Tate, levy and Quinn?

Those are the players you can get for the price of Suh. We would need to consistently hit on 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders. I haven't seen that enough to assume we can do that.

Back