Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Lions and Suh NOT close to a deal

You can keep Suh and still have the next level contracts too. We are doing it right now with Tate, Tulloch, Quin, Bush, Levy, Jones etc. If players don't live up to their contracts (Houston due to injury, Delmas injury), they are the ones that get cut. Jones could be next. Burleson had to take a pay cut due to injury and age. I'm not worried about the backends for Bush, Quin, Levy. Tulloch may not be worth his 7.3 million number in 2016 (he'll be old then).

If Suh gets a new deal, his cap number will be much lower than 22 million every year. If you want space and top notch talent, you extend Suh at a fair price. If Suh is asking too much, well then you let him walk but you damn well better replace him.

Franchising Fairley is an option for 2015. Around 9.6 million. Less if you end up re-signing him. Plus 9 million dead money still for Suh i n2015. Fairley still in a contract year in 2015 then. 18.6 tied into DT, which would be similar to a Suh sign. You could go that route too. 128 commited less 4 million for letting Suh walk, less 1.9 carryover, less 3.1 cut Jones. You could franchise Fairley.

I highly doubt we start from scratch without Fairley and Suh.

You can keep Suh and still have the next level contracts too. We are doing it right now with Tate, Tulloch, Quin, Bush, Levy, Jones etc. If players don't live up to their contracts (Houston due to injury, Delmas injury), they are the ones that get cut. Jones could be next. Burleson had to take a pay cut due to injury and age. I'm not worried about the backends for Bush, Quin, Levy. Tulloch may not be worth his 7.3 million number in 2016 (he'll be old then).

If Suh gets a new deal, his cap number will be much lower than 22 million every year. If you want space and top notch talent, you extend Suh at a fair price. If Suh is asking too much, well then you let him walk but you damn well better replace him.

Franchising Fairley is an option for 2015. Around 9.6 million. Less if you end up re-signing him. Plus 9 million dead money still for Suh i n2015. Fairley still in a contract year in 2015 then. 18.6 tied into DT, which would be similar to a Suh sign. You could go that route too. 128 commited less 4 million for letting Suh walk, less 1.9 carryover, less 3.1 cut Jones. You could franchise Fairley.

I highly doubt we start from scratch without Fairley and Suh.

It's too hard to fit Suhs numbers in with Calvin's and Stafford's numbers.

Is there any site that shows projected future years cap space? Like Hoopshype for the NFL?

We are already affording Suh at over 20 million. Certainly we can fit him for a contract that costs less. We can argue about the individual value of a DT, but saying we can't fit his salary (even if it's the biggest for a DT to date) is wrong. Cap will keep going up, and we are obviously making it work right now.

Is there any site that shows projected future years cap space? Like Hoopshype for the NFL?

We are already affording Suh at over 20 million. Certainly we can fit him for a contract that costs less. We can argue about the individual value of a DT, but saying we can't fit his salary (even if it's the biggest for a DT to date) is wrong. Cap will keep going up, and we are obviously making it work right now.

Except we won 11 games in two years. Maybe we should say we can't afford him and compete at the same time. Obviously he will have a less cap than what it is now..But the fact we can't get quality players to fill holes and depth..too many players making too much money..

Last edited:
Thanks, grandy!

Mitch, I'm not any more optimistic about the team's free agency prowess. Young guys with championship hope aren't signing here. Superstars at more pressing positions (DB) are just as expensive as Suh will be. It's a great idea to say that we can just turn 15 million of Suh into 15 million of decent CBs, but it's just conjecture. The best CBs we've signed in the last few years have been Houston (who fell apart) and Mathis (who miraculously became good for us). If it's Suh or cap space, I'd rather take Suh, as I already know he is great - I don't have to rely on Mayhew to find something equally as good.

It's too hard to fit Suhs numbers in with Calvin's and Stafford's numbers.

No. No it's not. If you knew all the numbers and the options and how to structure contracts, you would agree they can fit all three and others.

Like it or not, when a team's franchise player is being a baby and won't sign a deal, it's a story. If he truly cared about Detroit he would have done this long ago and focus on playing football.

That's just the carry over. You do realize the numbers change alot for 2015. We have 128 million committed right now for 2015 and more room with the carry over. That 128 committed has Suh at 13 million (still count the player option year until Suh opts out). And the cap will increase over 133 million. So yes we can handle Suh at a 17 million cap number. Plus we have restruture options with Tulloch, Quin and Bush. And we have a cut option if Jason Jones doesn't produce (3.1 million). And depending how they structure the contract, Suh may not have a 17 million cap number in 2015. Could be around 12-13 million. So many options for Detroit.

Everyone else has those same options with much, much more carryover.

If Suh doesn't want to be here, be gone.

If Fairley goes beast mode on the field in a walk-year.. begone.

Put that money into Gerald McCoy and a rookie, and move on. The league is not short on talented DTs.

Personally, I'd rather find some big bodies up front that can close of the gaps, and put that kind of money into a few CBs, another Safety, etc...

How are you going to get Gerald McCoy? He can be franchised! Not like our tard. He's good to go to the highest bidder. Suh may take less or equal to go the Championship route like his almost home town Hawks or even the 9ers who will need to replace their aging DTs or he may go to a team with cash to overspend and make a splash like the Raidahs. He may want to be on the West Coast again. Who knows.

I'm not saying he's gone but he's going to at least hit free agency next year. He hold all the cards.

Austin connection terrance cody....boom 700k. Sign him in the offseason and save 40 mil.

Reid Cody Ansah
Webster Tulloch Levy Van Noy
Slay Quin Ihedigbo Mathis

Put the saved money into upgrades for Webster Ihedigbo and Mathis....done deal.

Lions....if youre reading this ill quit my job at coke and come be an advisor for the special ed gm you have. Thank you for your serious consideration.

Austin connection terrance cody....boom 700k. Sign him in the offseason and save 40 mil.

Reid Cody Ansah
Webster Tulloch Levy Van Noy
Slay Quin Ihedigbo Mathis

Put the saved money into upgrades for Webster Ihedigbo and Mathis....done deal.

Lions....if youre reading this ill quit my job at coke and come be an advisor for the special ed gm you have. Thank you for your serious consideration.

better yet you can save the 40 mil and put it towards more weapons for Stafford LMAO BWAHAAHAHAAHhAHA!

How are you going to get Gerald McCoy? He can be franchised! Not like our tard. He's good to go to the highest bidder. Suh may take less or equal to go the Championship route like his almost home town Hawks or even the 9ers who will need to replace their aging DTs or he may go to a team with cash to overspend and make a splash like the Raidahs. He may want to be on the West Coast again. Who knows.

I'm not saying he's gone but he's going to at least hit free agency next year. He hold all the cards.

thank you mayhew! only time in nfl history I can think of where you cant even franchise your star player lmao. what a turd....

better yet you can save the 40 mil and put it towards more weapons for Stafford LMAO BWAHAAHAHAAHhAHA!

Fire Mayhew and give the $40 mil to Ted Thompson, his contract is up next year. You draft replacements that aren't in Henry Ford Medical Hospital Wards and aren't on the 10 year project plan. Plus you make Green Bay worse. Bonus. Doesn't even count against the cap. Double bonus.

Last edited:
Trade Suh, tank this season, draft a QB with that top 3 pick, cut Stafford in 2015

Save $3MM ($13MM from Suh - $10MM dead money hit from Stafford) in 2015, save $22MM in both 2016 and 2017

Commit that $22MM to several positions and make a run in 2016/2017

Is that too crazy?

I'd much prefer the Lions spent that kind of money on a more impactful position. I'm also curious to see if there are actually 3 teams that end up spending that much money on Fairley/McCoy/Suh.

Trade Suh, tank this season, draft a QB with that top 3 pick, cut Stafford in 2015

Save $3MM ($13MM from Suh - $10MM dead money hit from Stafford) in 2015, save $22MM in both 2016 and 2017

Commit that $22MM to several positions and make a run in 2016/2017

Is that too crazy?

too crazy...after we tank you can draft Rapeis Winston then just use Stafford as a back up over dan orlovsky. that way you don't have all the dead money :D

Back