Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Report: Lions and Suh NOT close to a deal

Suh has DE like numbers in overall pressure the last 3 years combined. And the market is changing with this cap rise. I'd rather them pay 12-13 but 14-15 may be his asking price. And that may be why they aren't even close.

In the open market 14-15 is very possible for him.

I don't buy it. DT's just don't have the impact that is worth the expense.

Comes down to this. Is Suh more important than a combination of Reggie bush, Golden Tate, levy and Quinn?

Those are the players you can get for the price of Suh. We would need to consistently hit on 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounders. I haven't seen that enough to assume we can do that.

They already have Suh on 22 million and can keep all those players. The cap is rising. Rookies are cheap for 4-5 years. And smart restructures are still possible.

Bush's number stays the same in 2014 and 2015. 4.5 million
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/reggie-bush/

Tate rises some but very manageable. 5.3 and 6.3

Levy is pretty cheap on a 3 million per year deal.

4.5 and 5 million very manageable for Quin in 2014 and 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/glover-quin/

Jones is cuttable for 3.1 million if he doesn't perform.

Suh and most everybody can be retained. Plus we get cheap rookies every year.

Bush's number stays the same in 2014 and 2015. 4.5 million

Tate rises some but very manageable. 5.3 and 6.3

Levy is pretty cheap on a 3 million per year deal.

4.5 and 5 million very manageable for Quin in 2014 and 2015.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/glover-quin/

Jones is cuttable for 3.1 million if he doesn't perform.

Suh and most everybody can be retained. Plus we get cheap rookies every year.

Jones should be cut now! He sucks!

They already have Suh on 22 million and can keep all those players. The cap is rising. Rookies are cheap for 4-5 years. And smart restructures are still possible.

They structured CJ and Staff to absorb the Suh contract this year. There has to be a benefit to CJ and Staff in order to get them to want to restructure or extend. it's not like the team can decide to extend them to help the team out, those two need to benefit too.

Those players I listed are the mid tier guys you will lose if you sign Suh.

So you are saying if Suh resigns, Reggie Bush, Golden Tate, Levy and Quin are for sure gone?? Screw that, let him walk. You can't afford to lose them.

They structured CJ and Staff to absorb the Suh contract this year. There has to be a benefit to CJ and Staff in order to get them to want to restructure or extend. it's not like the team can decide to extend them to help the team out, those two need to benefit too.

Those players I listed are the mid tier guys you will lose if you sign Suh.

The benefit is great for a player for a restructure. Talking changing base salary into a bonus. Players love that. Money up front for them.

An extension players usually get a nice bonus too. If Stafford did well and wants to stay here beyond 2015, he could extend during the 2016 offseason to lower his 20 million cap number.

And you will not lose those guys if you sign Suh. Especially since a Suh re-signing gives him a cap number much lower than his current 22 million. Last time I checked all those guys were still on the team.

There is 106 million committed for 2016. Plenty of room for a Suh contract, two rookie classes and others.

Last edited:
So you are saying if Suh resigns, Reggie Bush, Golden Tate, Levy and Quin are for sure gone?? Screw that, let him walk. You can't afford to lose them.

They won't be gone. Look at the numbers before you start making outrageous claims like that.

128 committed for next year (counting Suh at 13 million right now). Can handle up to 17 Suh 2015 cap number.

106 committed for 2016.

Dude, I'm quoting someone from earlier in the thread. That's the "So you are saying" comment is referencing. I didn't know, I haven't researched the cap stuff on Suh.

Dude, I'm quoting someone from earlier in the thread. That's the "So you are saying" comment is referencing. I didn't know, I haven't researched the cap stuff on Suh.

You agreed with his claim that we would lose those people. And said "screw that, let him walk".

That's the wrong answer.

But anyways, I don't believe ESPN fully unless Sexton is running his mouth. Still in a waiting game. Plus things can change with offers quickly. All it takes is one good offer to stick.

I've seen so many players all planning to hold out, then what do you know, they get a new deal last minute. Jamaal Charles just a few days ago.

Suh has DE like numbers in overall pressure the last 3 years combined. And the market is changing with this cap rise. I'd rather them pay 12-13 but 14-15 may be his asking price. And that may be why they aren't even close.

In the open market 14-15 is very possible for him.

A very shitty de.

LOL No I didn't dude. I agreed with the claim that if THAT IS WHO WE LOST, then it's not worth resigning Suh.

Completely and totally different compared to me saying we ARE going to lose those people.

They will still be here, I'm saying those are the equivalent players you can get for the same cap room as Suh. So we could keep Suh or get three or four solid players in FA.

Eventually with three players paid at the top of their position (or setting the market) you lose out on a well rounded team. If you sign Suh you better have confidence in mayhew to hit on 2nd 3rd and 4th rounders.

Ahh gotcha.

Well I don't have confidence in Mayhew to hit on 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounders, so get Suh the hell outta here lol. I would much rather have a well-rounded team and pay a DT reasonable money, vs blowing the entire lot on Suh.

Last edited:
If Suh doesn't want to be here, be gone.

If Fairley goes beast mode on the field in a walk-year.. begone.

Put that money into Gerald McCoy and a rookie, and move on. The league is not short on talented DTs.

Personally, I'd rather find some big bodies up front that can close of the gaps, and put that kind of money into a few CBs, another Safety, etc...

If Suh doesn't want to be here, be gone.

If Fairley goes beast mode on the field in a walk-year.. begone.

Put that money into Gerald McCoy and a rookie, and move on. The league is not short on talented DTs.

Personally, I'd rather find some big bodies up front that can close of the gaps, and put that kind of money into a few CBs, another Safety, etc...

I fully agree with your message..

Back