Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Software Change

@kalinecountry, we've installed an add-on for this. You will now see all birthdays in the widgets (side tables) on the index page, regardless of when they last logged in.
Cam, I just came onto the site and it was the first thing I noticed. I think that these additions you and Crystal are adding are most helpful, and will make the transition easier by seeing the same parts of the site we were all used to seeing for the last 12 years. I am grateful for your help, and I'm sure I speak for all of us that come here daily.

Cam or Crystal, When I click on my profile pic, I see this thing called points. What is that?

Cam or Crystal, When I click on my profile pic, I see this thing called points. What is that?
It's a part of the shop system that's in place for the favourite team icons (outlined here: Adding your favourite team to your profile ). It would be a form of currency usable to purchase items from the shop section, however, none of the items added have a fee of any kind attached to them, nor likely will they, so for now points are a little bit of a useless metric, but there might be a use for them at some point down the road :)

That's a feature that I don't intend on us using. I need to figure out how to remove it from displaying everywhere.

Kevin Durant Mvp GIF by NBA

Every day I leave and later come back there are more changes. Now the general message boards for MLB NFL etc are moved to a new place.
The Digglers Junk has changed to Off Topic and subdivided those. When is it going to be enough? Some of the changes are nice, others.....
More changes for those of us who were here all these years, we are not going to recognize the board by the time summer rolls around.

Every day I leave and later come back there are more changes. Now the general message boards for MLB NFL etc are moved to a new place.
The Digglers Junk has changed to Off Topic and subdivided those. When is it going to be enough? Some of the changes are nice, others.....
More changes for those of us who were here all these years, we are not going to recognize the board by the time summer rolls around.
It's understandable that change can be difficult, but these changes are mostly common sense / ease of flow changes to make things easier for all. Diggler's Junk, I understand the humour behind it, but it really needed a change. It's an off-topic forum, so naming it off-topic makes sense. The division of the sports forum was to help bring more focus to the Michigan-based sports and provide the more generalized sports a place to co-exist. It's all intended to help everyone find their footing a bit faster. It'll take a little bit to adapt from the old look, of course, but it should have a better flow that you'll start to feel as it settles in.

I like the breaking up of the locals vs off topic sports. Easier to see what's going on, imo.

I like the breaking up of the locals vs off topic sports. Easier to see what's going on, imo.
Exactly, it puts a focus on the Michigan-based teams, the main focus of the forum itself. There's room for everyone, but plenty of focus on the local markets.

I'm not looking for a gold star on my forehead by agreeing to every change here. I understand about the naming off topic for those select forums, but the general boards to the 4 sports teams were fine as a sub section under the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, etc forums.

I'm not looking for a gold star on my forehead by agreeing to every change here. I understand about the naming off topic for those select forums, but the general boards to the 4 sports teams were fine as a sub section under the Tigers, Lions, Red Wings, etc forums.
To an extent, yes, but it seemed like they were lost at times, now they've got a dedicated spot of their own.

I can't say what you're comfortable with but is it really that hard to find what what you need?

We had a number of things in the works, and this was one I put off a little bit while everyone got acclimated to the new software and style. The only other significant change we've got in the works now is the development of our homepage, which is already live, it's just not set up correctly yet.

I understand the hesitation to accept change, but the ultimate goal is to find ways to reinvigorate the community. As of today, we are starting the process in trying to promote the community and generate growth, and I believe that the expanded exposure to non-Detroit sports will help with that as well. On top of that, we've done away with less active forums, and moved things like Politics to the index, since it's so popular. We're also going to start regularly hosting contests/competitions, where there will be legitimate prizes, such as Lions/Tigers/Red Wings/Pistons apparel/gear. With all of these things in mind, I believe we are headed in the right direction.

You did away with less active forums? Which ones?
We had a number of things in the works, and this was one I put off a little bit while everyone got acclimated to the new software and style. The only other significant change we've got in the works now is the development of our homepage, which is already live, it's just not set up correctly yet.

I understand the hesitation to accept change, but the ultimate goal is to find ways to reinvigorate the community. As of today, we are starting the process in trying to promote the community and generate growth, and I believe that the expanded exposure to non-Detroit sports will help with that as well. On top of that, we've done away with less active forums, and moved things like Politics to the index, since it's so popular. We're also going to start regularly hosting contests/competitions, where there will be legitimate prizes, such as Lions/Tigers/Red Wings/Pistons apparel/gear. With all of these things in mind, I believe we are headed in the right direction.
Which of the forums were done away with? I could not find the Blues, Jazz, Rock Musicians + Entertainers Birthday Thread
until I put it in the search. Please tell me how to sticky a thread?

Back