Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Software Change

You did away with less active forums? Which ones?

Which of the forums were done away with? I could not find the Blues, Jazz, Rock Musicians + Entertainers Birthday Thread
until I put it in the search. Please tell me how to sticky a thread?
... top right of thread. Click on that and sticky.

You did away with less active forums? Which ones

Gaming and media forums combined into one. All the sub-forums that were within those gone.

Gambling forum gone. Fantasy sports forum gone. There was even an old sports memorabilia forum that was hidden from the index, and that has been removed as well.

I could not find the Blues, Jazz, Rock Musicians + Entertainers Birthday Thread
until I put it in the search. Please tell me how to sticky a thread?

I removed the sticky from that topic. My goal is to have 2-3 sticky topics per forum, so that users can easily view the most active topics within the forum when they first view it, as opposed to a multitude of sticky topics displaying up top.

If you’re just trying to keep up with topics, bookmark them within your account, so you can always pull them up with ease. Crystal explained how to do that here: Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

I want sticky topics to be guidelines topics, special event topics, and/or the main discussion topics, such as Team Notes, Live Chat, etc.

Personal opinion but I think stickied vs non stickied should be in the hands of the mods. It's what most are used to and there are just so many threads that are important for us Detroit fans, just look at the Tigers forum. So many. We sticky those because we want to see them first.

Personal opinion but I think stickied vs non stickied should be in the hands of the mods. It's what most are used to and there are just so many threads that are important for us Detroit fans, just look at the Tigers forum. So many. We sticky those because we want to see them first.

I think it’s important to step into the shoes of someone from the outside looking in. The Tigers forum has 14 sticky topics. Imagine viewing that forum for the first time and seeing that, especially when part of those topics are inactive. You aren’t seeing the active discussions going on below. Yes, these are what you guys want to see, but I firmly believe we shoot ourselves in the foot from a growth perspective in that regard.

Do you use this forum on your phone at all? Mobile optimization is the most important aspect of any website right now, and that is another big reason why we dumped vBulletin. If you view the Tigers forum on your phone, you have to scroll a lot to get to regular discussions, and that’s what I’m certainly not keen on.

I understand we are the outsiders flipping things upside down, but it is what is. We have that outside perspective. That view as guests seeing DSF for the first time.

I haven’t touched these things just yet, because I understand that they are important to you guys, but that’s where my head is. Especially when we have topics stickied that haven’t had a reply in years.

Last edited:
I think it’s important to step into the shoes of someone in years. How does that look? Yes, these are what you guys want to see, but I firmly believe we shoot ourselves in the foot from a growth perspective in that regard.

Do you use this forum on your phone at all? Mobile optimization is the most important aspect of any website right now, and that is another big reason why we dumped vBulletin. If you view the Tigers forum on your phone, you have to scroll a lot to get to regular discussions, and that’s what I’m certainly not keen on.

I understand we are the outsiders flipping things upside down, but it is what is. We have that outside perspective. That view as guests seeing DSF for the first time.

I haven’t touched these things just yet, because I understand that they are important to you guys, but that’s where my head is. Especially when we have topics stickied that haven’t had a reply in years.
I'm 58, and though my work career has been in computers and tech in general, I'm old school I use my phone for talking and that's pretty much it. I just don't want others getting discouraged by something they've been use to for the 12+ years. No worries.

Reactions: Cam
It's what most are used to and there are just so many threads that are important for us Detroit fans
That's perfectly fine, but that's why we're showing off alternative methods of saving threads, such as the bookmarks, as Cam mentioned. You can save as many posts and threads as you like with bookmarks and they'll always be there for you. It's a little give and take, and understandably there's going to be a little adaptation needing to take place, but the end goal is to streamline things as much as possible for everyone, without losing the sense of familiarity you all have for the site.

I'm 58, and though my work career has been in computers and tech in general, I'm old school I use my phone for talking and that's pretty much it. I just don't want others getting discouraged by something they've been use to for the 12+ years. No worries.

I gotcha. It’s certainly not something I’m going to change today, but I think we need to establish what we’re trying to do here. Are we looking to appease the folks that are already here, or do we look to try and cast a wide net and appeal to the masses? We want to broaden our audience.

There’s plenty of give and take, and there’s no absolutes on how things have to be. We’ll just keep making changes little by little, as we determine our best path forward.

For one, most people here pop in and out quickly throughout their day. When I click on a thread like this that I've been on before I'd like it to bring me to the last post that I left off. Not back to the first page and then I have to scroll through pages to find the new posts. Personally, I don't need the newest bells and whistles. I'm just here for the sports banter.

Also, is there no "quick quote" option? I hit quote on your response to me and it didn't add it

Gaming and media forums combined into one. All the sub-forums that were within those gone.

Gambling forum gone. Fantasy sports forum gone. There was even an old sports memorabilia forum that was hidden from the index, and that has been removed as well.
Why would you take the Gambling Forum? I post there every year with the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and The Belmont. I understand this is your site ands everything, but don't you think it would be considerate to check with us Mods?

I think it’s important to step into the shoes of someone from the outside looking in. The Tigers forum has 14 sticky topics. Imagine viewing that forum for the first time and seeing that, especially when part of those topics are inactive. You aren’t seeing the active discussions going on below. Yes, these are what you guys want to see, but I firmly believe we shoot ourselves in the foot from a growth perspective in that regard.

Jesus Christ, we have so much history with the Tigers Forum. Please change the Historical Tigers Threads back to Stickies.

Jesus Christ, we have so much history with the Tigers Forum. Please change the Historical Tigers Threads back to Stickies.

I haven’t touched any of the sticky topics in that forum.

I thought I read that you did or planned to.

Can you please return the Gambling Forum?

It’s about activity in that particular forum. There was slim to none. We can start another forum for it within our Clubs add-on, but it won’t be featured on the index anymore.

It’s about activity in that particular forum. There was slim to none. We can start another forum for it within our Clubs add-on, but it won’t be featured on the index anymore.
Please add it to the 'other sports forum'. This DSF has been my place to get my mind off my health issues especially the past year, this is stressful on my ticker.

Please add it to the 'other sports forum'. This DSF has been my place to get my mind off my health issues especially the past year, this is stressful on my ticker.

I’ll create a Club for it and dig up the topics that were within that forum and send you a link. It essentially does the same, it just won’t be visible from index. We can create Clubs for sports memorabilia and fantasy sports as well.

Back