Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Tigers 2024 Spring Training beginning 2 - 14

I know that the Tigers tried to convert Tork to a 3B when he was a rookie. That seems like a more difficult transition than going from a 3B and transition to a 1B. I wonder if they ever considered converting Malloy from 3B to 1B? Jim Thome and Miggy both began their careers at 3B then moved to 1B.

I see they sent Manning now. Thought he might make the team. Probably all those HR he's given up. He'll probably be up relatively soon.

I see they sent Manning now. Thought he might make the team. Probably all those HR he's given up. He'll probably be up relatively soon.
I suppose it might be the HRs, but Maeda has given up 3, and manning 4. All 6 of the starters have pitched really well this spring, which is a good problem to have.

On a side note, Mason Englert has given up 6 HRs in 9.2 innings. Ouch!

Final line for Tigers starter Tarik Skubal: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. 86 pitches, 60 strikes.Mixed all five pitches. Generated 17 whiffs (on 46 swings) with six fastballs, five changeups, one sinker, four sliders and one curveball. Fastball averaged 96.4 mph.

Baez now 4-40 this spring
Torkelson 4-40 this spring

The #Tigers also reassigned right-handed reliever Drew Anderson to minor-league camp. There are four relieves in the mix for two bullpen spots: Joey Wentz, Beau Brieske, Alex Faedo and Miguel Díaz.
Wentz and Díaz don't have any minor-league options remaining.

One number that stands out among the candidates for the final rotation spot is the amount of home runs given up.
Mize: 15.1 IP 0
HR Olson: 14.2IP 1HR
Manning: 16IP 6HR

Tigers manager A.J. Hinch on Matt Manning to Triple-A Toledo: "This news is hard to deliver, it's harder to receive. He's vowed to go and do his part in Triple-A, but he wasn't happy. No player is at this point when their expectations weren't met."

The Tigers have announced the following roster moves:*Optioned INF Ryan Kreidler and OF Akil Baddoo to Triple A Toledo.*Reassigned OF Justyn-Henry Malloy to Minor League camp.
Looks like the Tigers bench is going to be Matt Vierling, Andy Ibanez, Zach McKinstry and Carson Kelly.

Final line for Tigers starter Tarik Skubal: 5.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K. 86 pitches, 60 strikes.Mixed all five pitches. Generated 17 whiffs (on 46 swings) with six fastballs, five changeups, one sinker, four sliders and one curveball. Fastball averaged 96.4 mph.

Baez now 4-40 this spring
Torkelson 4-40 this spring

The #Tigers also reassigned right-handed reliever Drew Anderson to minor-league camp. There are four relieves in the mix for two bullpen spots: Joey Wentz, Beau Brieske, Alex Faedo and Miguel Díaz.
Wentz and Díaz don't have any minor-league options remaining.

One number that stands out among the candidates for the final rotation spot is the amount of home runs given up.
Mize: 15.1 IP 0
HR Olson: 14.2IP 1HR
Manning: 16IP 6HR
I was looking at Manning's spring stats on ESPN. Said he has given up 4 HRs. Maybe they didn't update them after his game yesterday.

Tigers announce rotation, send Manning down to Triple-A.
Tigers official site

Casey Mize, Reese Olson Win Rotation Spots With Tigers; Matt Manning Optioned To Triple-A.
MLBTR

Tigers option Matt Manning to Triple-A Toledo.
RHP Drew Anderson was also reassigned to Triple-A.
BYBTB

Detroit Tigers make surprising demotion as they set their 2024 five-man rotation.
MCBTB

Detroit Tigers send Matt Manning to Triple-A; Casey Mize, Reese Olson make MLB roster.
Freep

Tigers resolve rotation battle, sending starter to Toledo.
Mlive

SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

While the world has been focused on how badly Javier Baez is doing at the plate in spring training, there is yet another player who is raising concern.
Spencer Torkelson has gotten just 4 hits in 35 at-bats. He leads the team in strikeouts at almost a 50% clip.
No HRs and his total bases equals that of Baez. His slash line is .114/.225/.200/.425. His batting stats are the 2nd worst by far, just ahead of Baez. Everyone else, including the invitees and prospects are hitting much better than he is.
Yes, it is spring training but you have to consider that he’s also hitting against pitching prospects as well as MLB-level ones. And it’s been a prolonged slump.
Tork has had problems in the past. In his rookie year, he got sent down to Toledo for failing to hit. Last year, he went through several slumps during the season.
There is some thought that his MLB-worst defensive skills at 1B are messing with his process at the plate. That he’s having a hard time focusing. Even Miguel Cabrera who is coaching him, said they are also working on the mental side of the game.
How concerned are you about Spencer Torkelson’s struggles at the plate?

How concerned are you about Spencer Torkelson's struggles at the plate?

1. Not at all concerned.

2. I am somewhat worried.

3. I am very concerned.

VOTE

SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

While the world has been focused on how badly Javier Baez is doing at the plate in spring training, there is yet another player who is raising concern.
Spencer Torkelson has gotten just 4 hits in 35 at-bats. He leads the team in strikeouts at almost a 50% clip.
No HRs and his total bases equals that of Baez. His slash line is .114/.225/.200/.425. His batting stats are the 2nd worst by far, just ahead of Baez. Everyone else, including the invitees and prospects are hitting much better than he is.
Yes, it is spring training but you have to consider that he’s also hitting against pitching prospects as well as MLB-level ones. And it’s been a prolonged slump.
Tork has had problems in the past. In his rookie year, he got sent down to Toledo for failing to hit. Last year, he went through several slumps during the season.
There is some thought that his MLB-worst defensive skills at 1B are messing with his process at the plate. That he’s having a hard time focusing. Even Miguel Cabrera who is coaching him, said they are also working on the mental side of the game.
How concerned are you about Spencer Torkelson’s struggles at the plate?

How concerned are you about Spencer Torkelson's struggles at the plate?

1. Not at all concerned.

2. I am somewhat worried.

3. I am very concerned.

VOTE
I voted 2. I am always worried when a player that we are counting on is struggling, but I am not too worried. Just like I try not to get too excited when a player is on fire in the spring.

I still think they should see how Malloy can handle 1B when he is in Toledo.

I voted 2. I am always worried when a player that we are counting on is struggling, but I am not too worried. Just like I try not to get too excited when a player is on fire in the spring.

I still think they should see how Malloy can handle 1B when he is in Toledo.
I don't see why play him at 1B. Where would Tork play? We have too many DH/1B - if Mallory can't be somewhere else get rid of him and trade him.

2024 Player Preview: Parker Meadows looks ready to seize the leadoff spot.
Excellent speed and defense will keep him in Detroit for a long time, but will his bat will keep him atop the lineup?
BYBTB

Back