Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Today's Good Old American mass shooting brought to you by...

I don?t know what universe that?s happening in, but it ain?t happening in the world where I live.

Teachers

School police

I don?t know if teachers in that little podunk Texas town have had a recent pay cut or not. The police there got some ?splainin? to do, regardless of how much they?ve been getting paid recently.

This is not to excuse the cops - they absolutely should have been better prepared and entered the building sooner - but from what I read, most of the shooting (and killing) happened very early on. On or around the time cops started arriving the shooter had already done most of the killing.
He fired on cops as they were arriving, causing them to retreat, he then sort of barricaded himself in a classroom waiting for cops to enter. Cops waited way too long and from what I read, made it worse calling for kids to yell out for help. Kids who did, betrayed their locations and were then killed by the shooter.

The whole thing was a cluster f*** start to finish pretty much. I do think much if not all of it could have been avoided but I don't think paying teachers more would have gotten it done.

Last edited:
The fact that some of you guys could read this story and try to find a way to pin blame on a teacher is a sign of how functionally retarded you are.

I'm sure if the teacher had made sure the door was locked, or locked it herself (while an insane mutant kid armed with an assault rifle was shooting at people nearby and the school itself), he would have left and not shot up the school, and wouldn't have like shot a window out or glass door and just entered that way.

We should fire all teachers and replace them with fully armed Marines so that we can keep letting insane, angry, or suicidal people to buy assault rifles and shoot up schools, rather than just not letting such people buy assault rifles or firearms and making longer waiting periods to do so.

Which wouldn't of course stop all mass shootings but would make them harder to do. But the political opposition to that means you can say "the united states prioritizes the rights of homicidal maniacs over the rights of other citizens" and you wouldn't be wrong, or even unfair.

here you go:

The Texas Department of Public Safety said Uvalde school district?s police chief Pete Arredondo, who made the decision to wait for more resources rather than confront the gunman sooner, has stopped cooperating with state investigators and had not responded to requests for information for over two days. Arredondo contests the claim.

And the agency walked back an assertion that a teacher at Robb Elementary School propped open a back door prior to the shooting, allowing the gunman to enter and kill 19 students and two teachers. Earlier Tuesday the teacher?s lawyer had pushed back on the state?s account.
?She remembers pulling the door closed while telling 911 that he was shooting,? Don Flanary, the teacher?s lawyer, told the Express-News. ?She thought the door would lock because that door is always supposed to be locked.?​

The cops walked back their statement when challenged... like most of their statements related to this one.

Sad you need an attorney even when you didn't commit a crime now, when dealing with the cops even as a potential victim of a mass shooting.

so she thought it was locked because it is always supposed to be locked...except for when she opens it to get a cell phone. I'm sure she was very calm while there was a gunman right outside...she was probably very careful.

Why on earth would someone open a door when there is gunfire outside??

so she thought it was locked because it is always supposed to be locked...except for when she opens it to get a cell phone. I'm sure she was very calm while there was a gunman right outside...she was probably very careful.

Why on earth would someone open a door when there is gunfire outside??

I believe she was outside before or as the shooting started. But regardless, Yeah, let's focus on THAT of all things here. why would someone ever go out to their car for any reason? We live in a country where the rights of insane mass murderers are prioritized, so everyone else needs to exercise extreme caution at all times.

You want to open a door or a window? Then it's your own goddamn fault when a crazed lunatic armed with an AR-15 slaughters you and your coworkers, entire family, children, etc. etc.

The fact that some of you guys could read this story and try to find a way to pin blame on a teacher is a sign of how functionally retarded you are.

who is blaming the teacher? This post is particularly funny (although crude and vulgar) considering you're basically spouting Beto O'Rourke talking points then telling the opposition they're functional imbeciles.

Last edited:

Of course 99% of the blame is on the insane gunman. But there are always other things that happen that could possibly have changed how it went down. Having locked doors is one of them. Not being able to access an AR-15 is another.

I'm sure if the teacher had made sure the door was locked, or locked it herself (while an insane mutant kid armed with an assault rifle was shooting at people nearby and the school itself), he would have left and not shot up the school, and wouldn't have like shot a window out or glass door and just entered that way.

We should fire all teachers and replace them with fully armed Marines so that we can keep letting insane, angry, or suicidal people to buy assault rifles and shoot up schools, rather than just not letting such people buy assault rifles or firearms and making longer waiting periods to do so.

Which wouldn't of course stop all mass shootings but would make them harder to do. But the political opposition to that means you can say "the united states prioritizes the rights of homicidal maniacs over the rights of other citizens" and you wouldn't be wrong, or even unfair.

You can only say that if you ignore that fact that there are other solutions that are more effective than banning guns especially if, as you say yourself, banning those guns won't stop mass shootings. Your side knows banning these weapons won't stop mass shootings and yet they continue to politicize them in order to ban those weapons - probably for another reason, no? Why do they not even discuss hardening schools and shout down people who mention that or other measures, accusing them of loving guns more than they love kids? It's not about protecting kids for them, it's about power.

Last edited:
I believe she was outside before or as the shooting started. But regardless, Yeah, let's focus on THAT of all things here. why would someone ever go out to their car for any reason? We live in a country where the rights of insane mass murderers are prioritized, so everyone else needs to exercise extreme caution at all times.

You want to open a door or a window? Then it's your own goddamn fault when a crazed lunatic armed with an AR-15 slaughters you and your coworkers, entire family, children, etc. etc.

again, why don't we focus on everything that led to this? why is it only about the gun? especially if getting rid of the gun won't prevent future mass shootings.

And how do you know if the door was secure, the gunman still would have gotten in? Do all schools have big glass doors that can simply be shot out? Also, how is securing schools making everyone else exercise extreme caution at all times? How about you take the drama and hyperbole down a few notches and stop misrepresenting everyone else's position to push your ineffective gun control agenda?

Last edited:
again, why don't we focus on everything that led to this? why is it only about the gun? especially if getting rid of the gun won't prevent future mass shootings.

I don't see what's wrong with focusing on what seems to be the common denominator in every school shooting.

Whether you feel it's guns or mental health, we're not doing shit to fix it as a country. Kids of the Columbine era are now having their kids killed in schools. That's not hyperbole. What the fuck are we doing?

I don't see what's wrong with focusing on what seems to be the common denominator in every school shooting.

Whether you feel it's guns or mental health, we're not doing shit to fix it as a country. Kids of the Columbine era are now having their kids killed in schools. That's not hyperbole. What the fuck are we doing?

Maybe security checkpoint in all schools? Expensive but we have it. Other than that no idea.

Hand guns and hunting rifles - everything else should be banned to the public. I don't know much about guns so maybe there's other firearms that would be okay.

Maybe security checkpoint in all schools? Expensive but we have it. Other than that no idea.

I know that all of the schools in our area already have them. One entry and exit point (other than emergency exits).

In our school district every school has a vestibule. The first doors are open and once you get in there is an intercom and you tell the person at the desk who you are and why you are there...then you get buzzed in.

I know that all of the schools in our area already have them. One entry and exit point (other than emergency exits).

In our school district every school has a vestibule. The first doors are open and once you get in there is an intercom and you tell the person at the desk who you are and why you are there...then you get buzzed in.

That's good hopefully more and more get them?

Seems pretty clear what we should target. Weapon's that should be used in combat in the military. What is so wrong with moving the age from 18-21 years old ? We can?t legally drink until we are 21.

The following is a partial list of when an AR-15-style weapon was used in a mass shooting:

Feb. 14, 2018: Shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida leaves 17 people dead.
Oct. 1, 2017: The Las Vegas slaughter of 58 people.
Nov. 5, 2017: The Sutherland Springs, Texas, church shooting that claimed 26 lives.
June 12, 2016: The Pulse nightclub shooting in Orlando, Fla., that left 49 dead.
Dec. 2, 2015: The San Bernardino, Calif., shooting that killed 14 people.
Dec. 14, 2012: The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut that took 27 lives.

It's not the gun, it's the maniac with the gun. So we mostly get symbolic BS, like trying to ban certain guns that has little to nothing to do with stopping mass shootings. The problem is that one side only wants to talk about guns and when the other side pushes back, they say the opposition loves guns more than kids. to the people pushing gun bans, there's not room to talk about hardening schools, age restrictions, mental health screening, etc.

Last edited:
So many easy ways to get guns even if its raised to age 21. Maybe it will curtail some but not by a lot I suspect. You can 3D print a gun fairly easy..

It's not the gun, it's the maniac with the gun. So we mostly get symbolic BS, like trying to ban certain guns that has little to nothing to do with stopping mass shootings. The problem is that one side only wants to talk about guns and when the other side pushes back, they say the opposition loves guns more than kids. to the people pushing gun bans, there's not room to talk about hardening schools, age restrictions, mental health screening, etc.

Then do something so a maniac can't get the gun or an obstacle that prevents him from getting though. They, as in US of A, haven't clearly done enough.

I get why people object to banning certain guns, I don't get why people object to hardening schools.

Our kids school has 2 doors, both with intercoms and cameras that you have to be buzzed through, the first is a steel mesh reinforced glass door to a vestibule where you can drop off/pick up materials for your kid. If you need access to the school, there is another door either steel or wood that you also have to get buzzed through. All the other doors are steel, some with a thin vertical window nobody could get through. They are locked at all times during the school day. The kids have recess outside when it's not freezing cold or raining - that's the only time they're really vulnerable.

Last edited:

We have this without the 'airlock'. Doorbell/cameras are becoming more and more accessible. Even for poorer districts I can't imagine an excuse not to have one.

Back