Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Verlander traded to Houston, TJ Surgery, Wins 2 WS, Wins 3rd Cy Young Now a Met

Full trade, per ESPN sources:

Astros receive: RHP Justin Verlander.

Mets receive: OF Drew Gilbert and OF Ryan Clifford.

Deal is done.

Tigers have released Franklin Perez, Chavez Fernander and Johan Camargo?

Perez was the jewel in the Verlander trade and now all we have left from avila's brain fart deals is a part time catcher Jake Rogers.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/06/monday-musings-77/
MONDAY MUSINGS.
Totally Tigers

Throughout the week, there are so many smaller stories hitting the media. They may be bite-size, but often they are just as important as the headline-grabbing news. Sometimes, even more.

And that?s what brings me to today. A way to bring them out in the open and invite conversation about some of these subjects.

It?s the plan for Mondays. Keeping track of these mighty little bits that hit my radar throughout the week and sharing them with you today because I know one or more will also resonate with you. So, let?s kick off this week?s musings?

It?s rather ironic that given this trade deadline week, we are hearing once again about 2 former Tigers ? and 2 different experiences.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/15/watercooler-wednesday-97/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

Players behaving badly appears to be the theme of this week. To be more accurate, it?s more like star players behaving badly.

Now that Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer have been traded, Mets players are unloading on them. Both being described as ?difficult.?

They called JV a ?diva? and someone only concerned with himself, while ignoring the rest of the team. Max, as we know, flamed team ownership and management, and was caught surprised when he was immediately traded. Just this week, he had another meltdown on the mound with his new team when things didn?t go his way. Three episodes and counting so far this year.

We now know that both did not get along when they were with the Tigers and there were problems with 3 out of the 5 starting pitchers during those last playoff years.

It has been insinuated that the issues surrounding these 2 players with both the Tigers and Mets negatively impacted their team chemistry.

Of course, there have been plenty of other incidents of star players causing disruptions and distractions to their organizations. Enough to disrupt the balance of personalities and performance to various degrees.

And this week, another alleged scandal involving one of baseball?s best players ? Wander Franco. He is now on unpaid leave while MLB investigates. (Nothing is yet official and the subject is a delicate one so we will not be getting into the details of what supposedly transpired. Nor will we be approving any comments today that delve into this subject matter as a result.)

Over a year ago, the Tampa Bay Rays made their first really big investment by signing Franco to a 12-year contract that is worth a maximum of $223 mill. He is their best player.

But there have been some red flags. Bad decisions, immaturity or attitude problems depending upon whom you ask. One in particular that teed off teammates and got him benched for multiple days. Yet despite instances over the past 2 years, he got the mega-contract anyway.

And now, if things go really south, the Rays could be taking a really big hit both competitively and financially.

It?s a huge risk when extreme talent, personality issues and really big bucks collide. For some, the risk pays off. For others, it can cost a team dearly.

Which brings us to ask how important a player?s personal make up is in comparison to his talent.

Is having a difficult/demanding personality worth having on a team esp. when their talent is significant?

Or is the price created by their behavior too much of a cost when it comes to the overall roster and team performance?

What would you do if faced with a similar situation? Is it all about getting the talent or are there other factors to consider?

How should big talent and personality be addressed when giving out mega-contracts?

1. Talent is the only thing that matters.

2. Bad behavior and ?me first? attitude are deal breakers.

3. Both talent and behavior require equal scrutiny before a contract is offered.

VOTE

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/08/25/saturday-survey-92/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

This weekend, the Houston Astros are in town. Justin Verlander is scheduled to start Sunday?s game.

Verlander is still a hometown fave and the Tigers aren?t in the running for a wild card spot ? or even near .500. But?. they are our favorite team.

Will you be rooting for JV to pitch well or will you be cheering on the Tigers? You can pick only one!

Who will you be rooting for the most during Sunday's game?

1. The Tigers

2. Justin Verlander

August 27, 2023: JV beats his old team and despite pitching just five innings, Justin Verlander secured his 100th win at Comerica Park. Only six pitchers in the last 50 years have reached the century mark at one ballpark.

Justin Verlander on facing Miguel Cabrera one last time.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1695909983563505936

?His right handed swing is one of the most pure right handed swings in the history of baseball?
What Justin Verlander noticed about Miguel Cabrera right away all those years ago.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1695910648889164048

Astros manager Dusty Baker is 74 years old so he?s seen some pretty amazing matchups over the years and he puts Justin Verlander-Miguel Cabrera right up there with Barry Bonds-Pedro Martinez and Willie Mays-Bob Gibson.
And Verlander loved it.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1695912859161538788

Justin Verlander?s postseason numbers with the Astros compared to the Tigers:

HOU:

3.68 ERA
115.1 IP
124 SO

DET:

3.39 ERA
98.1 IP
112 SO

Not quite today though. Not sure why we still talk about JV. 3 teams since us.

I know, right?

Yet here we are.

I guess for macro baseball fans, the relationship between Verlander and Scherzer is a story.

Not surprising they didn?t have a love affair. Max is a wack job; Verlander landed America?s sweetheart.

I know, right?

Yet here we are.

I guess for macro baseball fans, the relationship between Verlander and Scherzer is a story.

Not surprising they didn?t have a love affair. Max is a wack job; Verlander landed America?s sweetheart.
America's sweetheart, whore - its all the same thing.

Back