Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bonderman called up

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers recall Jeremy Bonderman from Toledo. Will be new long man.
Evan Reed optioned.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2013/08/jeremy_bonderman_promoted_to_b.html
Jeremy Bonderman promoted to big leagues, will join Detroit Tigers for series opener in Cleveland.
from Mlive

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2013/8/...man-returns-detroit-tigers-evan-reed-optioned
The Return of Mr. Snappy: Tigers option Evan Reed, call up Jeremy Bonderman.
from bybtb

http://motorcitybengals.com/2013/08/04/detroit-tigers-to-bring-up-jeremy-bonderman-option-evan-reed/
Detroit Tigers To Bring Up Jeremy Bonderman, Option Evan Reed.
from mcb-tb

Out of the quartet of Darin Downs, Luke Putkonen, Evan Reed, and Jeremy Bonderman, I’d rather have Downs given his actual LOOGY ability — I’m not sure if any of the others have a role that makes them “plus” — but it probably makes sense for the club to audition all of these guys in case they eventually need to take one of them for the postseason roster. Then again, Octavio Dotel is apparently improving and getting somewhat close to returning, so they may have one arm too many as it is.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130804/SPORTS02/308040133/1050/rss15
Detroit Tigers calling up Jeremy Bonderman from Triple-A Toledo.
from the freep

http://opoutofleftfield.blogspot.com/2013/08/tigers-recall-bonderman-to-be-another.html
Tigers recall Bonderman to be another veteran presence in bullpen.
from the Oakland Press

Last edited:
OH boy! I have never been a fan of Reed but Bondo scares me as a long reliever!

I suspect Bondo will only see mop up duty when the Tigers are way ahead or way behind. I doubt he will see any kind of significant role. It's pretty cool to see him back though.

I suspect Bondo will only see mop up duty when the Tigers are way ahead or way behind. I doubt he will see any kind of significant role. It's pretty cool to see him back though.

We all suspect that (and I do think that is how he'll be used). But we also all know Leyland tends to say one thing and then immediately do another.

I'm not a fan of Reed, not that I think Bondo has it all in one sock either, but in limited work, he probably can't be too bad.

DD said Reed did nothing wrong but wanted another veteran in the pen. So take it fwiw.

At Toledo:

7 G 9.6 IP 3 H 0 ER 0 BB 5 K 0.00 ERA 0.31 WHIP

Give the man a chance. He has to be better than a slug like Evan Reed.

We all suspect that (and I do think that is how he'll be used). But we also all know Leyland tends to say one thing and then immediately do another.

Right. Probably throw him into the fire right away, and see what he has through August.
Maybe he can be ok for an inning.

From what I read, and not the glowing reports from Tony Paul at the detnews, his fastball is straight, slide still good. and looks like he is still a 2 pitch pitcher. maybe 3 with his splitter if he can get swing and miss.

Last edited:
Right. Probably throw him into the fire right away, and see what he has through August.
Maybe he can be ok for an inning.

From what I read, and not the glowing reports from Tony Paul at the detnews, his fastball is straight, slide still good. and looks like he is still a 2 pitch pitcher.

The more I think about it I'm absolutely positive Bondo's first outing will be in a stressful situation. Like you said...find out what he has. Plus I know Leyland is going to give a vet a chance. If he gets through it he should have some confidence. If not, you know he's the mop duty guy. To me Bondo always seemed to lack confidence. He always had that look like he was just waiting for something bad to happen.

From John Wagner's post game Mudhen notes of July 29.

For those who were wondering, Detroit general manager Dave Dombrowski WAS at Monday's Mud Hens game. So was assistant general manager Al Avila and director of pro scouting Scott Bream.

Here's a closer look at Bonderman's two-inning effort. Bonderman threw 20 pitches, 14 for strikes, and got two flyouts and a strikeout in the eighth, then two groundouts and a strikeout in the ninth.
As for pitches ... he threw nine fastballs, six for strikes (two called, two fouled, two put in play). The fastball sat in the 91-93 mph range (one at 93, three at 92, three at 91, two at 90). He threw four split-finger fastballs, three for strikes (two groundouts, one taken). The split-finger sat in the 87-89 mph range (two at 89, one at 88, one at 87). He threw seven sliders, five for strikes (three swinging, one fouled, one taken).

I thought Bonderman's slider looked better than it did Friday night ... he got three swings-and-misses, which is a pretty good number. His fastball isn't a swing-and-miss pitch these days, but he seemed to be throwing it for strikes (first pitch to four of the six batters he faced, but just two were strikes).

There is almost no chance he starts a game for the Tigers. They will call up Alverez IMO

And send who down? Al Al? Rondon? Bondo?

I think it;s likely that was the main reason he was called up was because they also needed him to make a spot start.

And send who down? Al Al? Rondon? Bondo?

I think it;s likely that was the main reason he was called up was because they also needed him to make a spot start.

I didn't think they signed him to start any games and I doubt the main reason they called him up now was for him to make a start in about 2 weeks. Rondon must have a shit load of options left.

I didn't think they signed him to start any games and I doubt the main reason they called him up now was for him to make a start in about 2 weeks. Rondon must have a shit load of options left.

So you send him down and weaken your bullpen when you have a spot starter going?

So you send him down and weaken your bullpen when you have a spot starter going?

that's usually what happens when a team has a double header. Most teams will call up a minor league pitcher to spot start....you have to send someone down. Depends on the roster at the time.

Back