Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bonderman called up

Because Iggy is talked about as a long term option. So its fair to discuss his inability to hit in the minors.

Reed, on the other hand, is a short term solution so it makes more sense to talk about what he's currently doing compared to say, AA or Bonderman.

So, another words, it is okay to have double standards.

Because Iggy is talked about as a long term option. So its fair to discuss his inability to hit in the minors.

Reed, on the other hand, is a short term solution so it makes more sense to talk about what he's currently doing compared to say, AA or Bonderman.

Iggy is young enough to make significant improvements yet. Reed is not.

Reed's history is far more relevant than Iggy's is.

So, another words, it is okay to have double standards.

That's not double standards. We know Reed won't be here in 2014. But in a playoff run its fair to talk about whether one or the other is a better option between him and AA.

Iggy is young enough to make significant improvements yet. Reed is not.

Reed's history is far more relevant than Iggy's is.

In 2014 and beyond I agree with you. But as far as now until October, arguing about Reed and AA is fair without using age ..

Last edited:
In 2014 and beyond I agree with you. But as far as now until October, arguing about Reed and AA is fair without using age ..

Who's talking about now Mitch? I said he should not have been on the 40-man roster period, and I think Rebbiv said that too, or at least hinted at it.

The argument was started as why was Reed demoted rather than AA? Saying Reed shouldn't have been on the 40 doesn't change that argument.

And he brought up double standard when I brought up Reed and Iggy. Its not a double standard ..

And, thumb, because you said: Reed's history is far more relevant than Iggy's is.

As far as 2013, not really. If a guy is pitching decent now, playoff run - why would history matter.

Last edited:
The double standard would be like people who want to see Tui over Dirks when Tui, as far as history is concern, is much worse.

Mitch, it is all about sample size. Even Jose Valverde looked pretty good this year after 12 IP (0.75 ERA). Even after 18.3 IP (3.93 ERA).

Neglecting the entire history and only focusing on a short recent past will get you a bull pen full of Valverdes.

Mitch, it is all about sample size. Even Jose Valverde looked pretty good this year after 12 IP (0.75 ERA). Even after 18.3 IP (3.93 ERA).

Neglecting the entire history and only focusing on a short recent past will get you a bull pen full of Valverdes.

I get that. I really do. But what has AA done in the now or the past. He's had some success before the injuries, which who knows might be effecting him.

I don't even care Reed was sent down instead of AA. But I think its a viable argument of which one should have been demoted. Both the same age..

Nice to see Bondo pitch 3 scoreless innings and get the W. Hopefully he has re-invented himself as a relief pitcher.

Bondo looked great last night. 94mph fastball and an 84mph slider. He had hitters visibly uncomfortable. Great to see that.

I'm happy for him, but I'm not going to get too excited yet. Simply because he's also had some terrible games with Seattle earlier.

But so far, so good.

He surprised me. I thought he was a thought for next year and didn't want him on the 2013 team. Hope he keeps it up.

I'm happy for him, but I'm not going to get too excited yet. Simply because he's also had some terrible games with Seattle earlier.

But so far, so good.

I didn't follow him in Seattle but wasn't he a starter there? I think he may be better suited for a relief role because he only has 2 plus pitches. iirc that was his problem when he was a starter here....only 2 good pitches.

I didn't follow him in Seattle but wasn't he a starter there? I think he may be better suited for a relief role because he only has 2 plus pitches. iirc that was his problem when he was a starter here....only 2 good pitches.

Yes he was a starter there, but MLB hitters are MLB hitters.

I'm just saying it was a nice outing, but even Valverde looked untouchable for a while. I'm rooting for the guy, but my expectations are not much.

I'm pulling for him even if he had a few hissy fits along the way

although I can see where the guy may be a little bitter about his luck with health....he was truly dominant for that front half of 2007....had he stayed healthy I believe that tiger team makes the playoffs

Bonderman likes this new situation as a reliever. Says he can let it rip without having to hold anything back for later innings as a starter.

Bonderman has the pedigree of a dominant reliever. Mid-90's fastball with a mid 80's slider. MLB hitters are MLB hitters, but a good reliever only needs two good pitches. Look at the best. Rivera, Kimbrel, Chapman etc. All have 2 pitches. Most relievers combine the fastball with the slider like Bondo. I say it's a good fit.

Back