Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Caldwell hired

Because most of us thought Whisenhunt was a good hire. I'll be behind Caldwell now that he's the coach, but there aren't many positives based off of his resume.

He went 26-63 as the head coach at Wake Forest, with one winning season. He's been an assistant around the league for several different teams. His one positive is that he coached Peyton Manning. But when Peyton got injured, the Colts went 2-14. (so was it Caldwell elevating Peyton or Peyton elevating Caldwell?) Also, the Ravens were planning on firing him from his OC position if he didn't accept a head coaching offer.

So overall, not that much to be excited about. But maybe he can bring in a good OC and DC, who knows?

Whisenhunt absolutely dry fucked us. Fuck him ... seriously. Ill take the guy that WANTS to be here

At least I won't have high expectations for this team next season.

I'll wait till we hear whom the new OC and DC are going to be and whether or not Washburn is kept or not before making a final decision as to whether or not I'm going to consider allowing myself any hope for the future but on the surface I don't like this hire, Caldwell has proven nothing with his track record of sub par Peyton less offenses.

Terrible

Last edited:
You dont know that. Not even close

But if the Lions end up hiring Caldwell, they actually will help Baltimore as well. As colleague Jamison Hensley writes, the Ravens were going to have to make a tough decision on what to do with Caldwell after his offense finished 29th in the NFL this season.

I think I am at least on the map.

My thoughts exactly, just hoping the Vikings hire someone even worse.

Idk, I think I could get back on the rooting for a high draft pick bandwagon. It's easier to root for this team to lose because they're quite good at it.

Getting a new staff was like Christmas. I couldn't wait. Now I feel like Charlie Brown on Halloween, I get a rock.

Last year in Baltimore. Lost Boldin, Pitta hurt almost all year, Rice hurt early in year, Jones out a couple games. Lost Matt Birk, left tackle was trash so they traded for Monroe.

Flacco 11 TDs and 0 ints with healthy weapons and good Olines. Caldwell gets a huge talent upgrade in the 2014 Detroit Lions over the 2013 injured Baltimore Ravens

Look at Peyton 2001 and prior before Caldwell and then 2002 and after. Caldwell taught Peyton plenty.

2012 as OC can't be ignored. Nor a 14-2 first season as HC.

Usually I don't drink as much koolaid as you....but you make some good points here.

Also, remember the team that he put together went to the playoff the next two seasons after they got a real QB (Luck). And Luck wasn't even that good his rookie year, statistically. Stafford was across the board better this year than Luck his rookie year.

QB's win in this league......they are MORE important than having a good HC.

Belichick had a losing record in Cleveland with Kosar/Testeverde as QB.....

Goes 5-11 in his one year in NE without Brady.....

0-2 in his 2nd year without Brady.....

Then.....

Idk, I think I could get back on the rooting for a high draft pick bandwagon. It's easier to root for this team to lose because they're quite good at it.

Yeah but when those high draft picks become BMW it is like losing the Super Bowl you fought so hard to get to.

Maybe they hired him for 1 season. Do it all over again next year..I'm just waiting for the press conference when Mayhew said Jim was my guy from the start..Two Gyms in a row.

So being the OC for Baltimore was too much for him to handle but he will be able to be a head coach in Detroit?

Back