Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Lions - Team Notes

Matt Patricia looked at OC candidates he struggled against defensively.
A little intel into what the Lions? offensive coordinator search looked like.

It?s been nearly an entire month since we?ve heard from Detroit Lions head coach Matt Patricia, and the team has gone through some important changes since he?s last addressed the media. Most notably, the team has a new special teams coordinator and a new offensive coordinator.

The hiring of Darrell Bevell to coach up the offense may be one of the most important moves Patricia will make all offseason, but aside from a short explanation from general manager Bob Quinn, we don?t have much information on how the Lions head coach came to the conclusion that Bevell was their guy.

However, MMQB?s Albert Breer joined Tori Petry at the Senior Bowl this week and dropped a little interesting nugget about Patricia?s coaching search.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1088536958358511616
Webvideo Tori Petry caught up with Albert Breer in Mobile to get his take on the Lions' 2018 season and their new offensive coordinator hire in Darrell Bevell.

?What I was impressed with, with what Matt (Patricia) did was it really looked to me?and you sort of heard this a little bit, too?he was looking at guys who he had trouble with as a defensive coach,? Breer said.

Breer was also the reporter that noted Lions offensive line coach Jeff Davidson was in on coordinator interviews, so it appears he?s one of the very few who had a little access to the behind-the-scenes look at Detroit?s offensive coordinator search. And while this isn?t exactly a bombshell, it?s a nice look at Patricia?s methods.

POD

Detroit not looking at cornerback in the 1st round?
A couple of beat writers don?t think the Lions will go cornerback early in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Lions Wire?s Jeff Risdon spent the last couple weeks at practices for the Shrine Game and Senior Bowl, keeping a close eye on the prospects and what the Detroit Lions were keying in on. On Friday morning, Risdon shared a couple of observations that Lions fans should keep in mind come April?s draft.

First, and perhaps most noteworthy, Risdon believes the Lions didn?t show a ton of interest in the top cornerbacks and thinks they won?t be looking in that direction with their first round pick:
"3 Lions-related thoughts as I wait for my plane to finally head home from Senior Bowl and Shrine Game weeks":
"1. It's still early, but I will be SHOCKED if they go CB in the 1st round. SHOCKED".

That?s a pretty surprising hypothesis considering Detroit pursued some of the top cornerback free agents last year, and there are some top prospects?like LSU?s Greedy Williams and Washington?s Byron Murphy?that may be worthy of a top-10 pick.

And Risdon isn?t the only one who feels this way after spending the week around the Lions. Chris Burke of The Athletic ?seconded? Risdon?s claims, emphasizing that the Lions could go offense with their first-round pick.

Here?s a look at the other two takeaways from Risdon:
"2. The team feels better about the offensive line than the fans do, in part because of Tyrell Crosby but also because of Bevell's schematic desires. I was reliably told his plan for the OL/blocking was a big selling point in his hiring".
"3. They spent a great deal of time checking out the WRs in both Mobile and St. Pete, almost inordinately so relative to other positions. Draw your own conclusion there, but know the Senior Bowl WRs came off quite a bit better than advertised".

Obviously, we?re extremely far from the draft, and, as we saw from their coaching search, the Lions like to keep things close to the vest. So I would take this observations with a grain of salt. Still, keep this in mind for the upcoming months.

POD

Back