Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Tigers have claimed LHP Kelvin De La Cruz off waivers from the Indians today.
De La Cruz has been optioned to Double A Erie.
De La Cruz is the guy who was traded to Rangers, then traded back to Indians, now claimed by Tigers. Busy spring for him.

Last edited:
Tigers have claimed LHP Kelvin De La Cruz off waivers from the Indians today.
De La Cruz has been optioned to Double A Erie.
De La Cruz is the guy who was traded to Rangers, then traded back to Indians, now claimed by Tigers. Busy spring for him.

Pretty much a "nothing" pitcher.

"After a disappointing 2010 campaign De La Cruz was looking to re-establish himself as one of the Indians? top pitching prospects last season, but that did not happen and he has slid considerably as a prospect. The physical tools, stuff, and abilities are still there, but unless he can develop his fastball command he is never going to get over the hump and be a true Major League option. Last year at Double-A Akron he continued to be inconsistent and did not show any improvement as he had a nice strikeout rate (9.9 K/9) but walked way too many batters (6.0 BB/9). He had a 6.1 BB/9 rate in 2010 at Akron so a return trip last season did not help, and now it appears the Indians have resorted to putting him in the bullpen to hopefully fix the command issues. The Indians have not given up on him, but his future looks to be in the bullpen, a move which may help his fastball play up some. He has potential as a left-on-left Major League reliever that has the ability to get strikeouts. He should open the 2012 season in the Triple-A Columbus or Akron bullpen."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/majors/organization-reports/detroit-tigers/2012/2613162.html
Tyler Stohr Delivers Healthy Returns For Tigers. subscription
LAKELAND, Fla.?For Tigers righthander Tyler Stohr, spring training this season is far different from a year ago.

Last spring Stohr was trying to prove he could bounce back from the Tommy John surgery that had derailed him in 2010.

Fast forward to this spring: Stohr now is on the 40-man roster, and the sixth-round pick in the 2008 draft out of North Florida is viewed as a potential relief option in Detroit, perhaps as soon as this summer.

"I threw in the first game in minor league camp last year, and that was the first competition I'd faced since April of the year before," Stohr said. "I went out there not knowing the first hitters I was facing, not really knowing how I'm going to feel, and the velocity was there.

"That was the big step. My arm felt good, my velocity was there, so I kind of felt like I was back."

One key to his return was proving that he was healthy, and he did that by posting a 3.45 ERA with 23 strikeouts in 31 innings for high Class A Lakeland. The 6-foot-2, 210-pounder was promoted to Double-A Erie in July but struggled before getting a tip from teammate Luis Marte.

"I went up (to Marte) and said, 'Dude, how do you throw your slider? I've got to change something because it just doesn't feel right when I'm throwing it,' " Stohr said. "And he gave me some pointers for a new grip, and I went out and threw it that night and it was back."

Aside from one rough outing, Stohr finished strong with Erie. He allowed just 10 hits and three runs in his last 17 innings with the SeaWolves, striking out 18 and walking six.

"(I'm learning) how (major leaguers) go about their business and the way things are up here as opposed to minor league camp," he said. "I learn more from sitting back and watching and keeping my mouth shut than going out and doing my own thing."

from Baseball America

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/prospect-pulse/2012/2613157.html
2012 Prospect Position Rankings: Third Base.
from Baseball America Subscription.

1. Miguel Sano, Twins: The ball makes a different sound coming off his bat thanks to his plus-plus raw power.

2. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: Rendon may see some time at second base because Ryan Zimmerman is ahead of him, but he's a Gold Glove-caliber defender at third base.

3. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: One of the best swings in the minors, with the power to back it up and improving defense.

4. Mike Olt, Rangers: One draft pick the Rangers haven't traded, he's a potential two-way threat with smooth defense and plus power.

5. Nick Castellanos, Tigers: Natural hitting instincts are already evident, but he'll be more dangerous when he adds strength.

6. Will Middlebrooks, Red Sox: A stellar defender, Middlebrooks needs to tighten his strike zone but has plus power potential.

7. Xander Bogaerts, Red Sox: A good athlete for his size with huge power, Bogaerts could be Boston's best international signing since Hanley Ramirez.

8. Javier Baez, Cubs: First-round pick from 2011 gets plus or better future grades from scouts for his hit and power tools.

9. Cheslor Cuthbert, Royals: Royals beat the Pirates to the punch to sign Cuthbert for $1.35 million three years ago, and now have their best international prospect with an offensive-oriented game.

10. Zack Cox, Cardinals: Cox doesn't have huge power, but he has a knack for putting the bat to the ball.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/majors/organization-reports/detroit-tigers/2012/2613204.html
Tigers' Crosby Makes Impression In Brief Showing.
from Baseball America

Lakeland, Fla.?Casey Crosby didn't last long in the competition to be the Tigers' fifth starter. The 23-year-old lefthander pitched in three spring training games, allowing six hits while walking six in six innings.

But don't think Crosby didn't make an impression on Detroit manager Jim Leyland.

"His ceiling is, for me?I'm not talking about (Justin) Verlander or those guys, I'm talking about a lot of the young guys?I think this guy's ceiling is as high as anybody's," Leyland said.

Crosby will begin this season as part of a Triple-A Toledo rotation that should feature some of the Tigers' top arms, including top prospect Jacob Turner. While some scouts expect the 6-foot-5, 200-pound Crosby may eventually become a reliever, he will get innings to help him make up for lost development time.

A fifth-round pick in 2007, Crosby signed, hurt his elbow in instructional league and missed nearly all of 2008. He returned in 2009 and pitched well at low Class A West Michigan, but more elbow problems wiped out almost all of his 2010 campaign.

He bounced back last season at Double-A Erie, going 9-7, 4.10. And while Crosby has shown flashes of brillance?he had 117 strikeouts in 105 innings in 2009, then fanned 121 in 132 innings last year?the injuries have slowed his development.

The Tigers hope to speed things back up with consistent work as a starter this year with the Mud Hens.

"He's a little crude yet, obviously, but he has a chance to be a really good major league pitcher," Leyland said. "He should have a big future."

Last years #1 draft pick James McCann with his second Spring homerun, a grandslam in todays split squad game.
Tigers have several bona fide catching prospects in the organization. McCann, Holaday, Brantly, Casali, .....and Leyland's kid.

Nick Castellanos officially starts at Single A Lakeland, along with Avisail Garcia, Daniel Fields, Corey Jones, Eichhorn, Burgos, Gaynor, and Bruce Rondon.

Back