Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Nick Castellanos back in the LakelandFlyingTigers lineup tonight after leaving early last night. He'll DH tonight

Even though the Whitecaps lost tonight I went to run some errands and right when i turned the radio on I heard and 'Kaline steps to the plate' Talk about a double take from my youth.. Even though I knew it was Al's grandson it was a big thrill to hear the name again on a ball diamond... I know the kid is struggling but he rapped out a single and he had the game winner the other night... But his average is only .105... ouch...I see Westlake is batting over .300

Tigers Load Lakeland With Prospects.
Several players land on high Class A roster.

DETROIT?The Tigers have made some interesting decisions regarding the shape of their minor league rosters.

For example, many of the organization's top pitching prospects have congregated in Triple-A Toledo to form the Mud Hens' rotation. Three of Detroit's top five prospects?lefthanders Drew Smyly, Casey Crosby and Andy Oliver?will make starts for Toledo, and lefty Adam Wilk drew Toledo's Opening Day assignment.

When Phil Nevin was asked if he worried about the youth of his rotation?-24-year-olds Wilk and Oliver are the oldest prospects in that rotation?the Mud Hens manager simply smiled.

"I'm not big on worrying about stuff like that," he said. "If you can pitch, you can pitch. And these guys all can pitch."

Smyly will be promoted to Detroit to become the Tigers' fifth starter, but eventually he will be replaced by the organization's top prospect, righthander Jacob Turner. Turner was slowed in spring training by arm problems but is expected to be ready quickly.

Turner headlines a prospect-studded roster at high Class A Lakeland. He and lethander Alex Burgos will headline the Flying Tigers' rotation, while righthander Bruce Rondon will probably close.

Many of Detroit's top prospects will be on display around Lakeland's diamond, a group led by third baseman Nick Castellanos. He will be joined by shortstop Dixon Machado and second baseman Hernan Perez, while the outfield includes Avisail Garcia, Tyler Collins and Daniel Fields.

TIGER TALES

There are some famous names on the low Class A West Michigan roster, including Colin Kaline, grandson of Tigers Hall of Famer Al Kaline; Marcus Lemon, whose father Chet played for Detroit from 1982-90; and Patrick Leyland, whose father Jim manages the Tigers.

Outfielder P.J. Polk was among the Tigers' final roster cuts. Polk stole 29 bases in for short-season Connecticut in 2010 but was limited to 72 games in 2011 because of injuries.

from Baseball America

Last edited:
It's still not official, but Jacob Turner has been told he'll be starting on Monday for Lakeland, barring any last minute set back.

Back