Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Why hasn't Casey Crosby appeared in a game yet? Because he recently felt discomfort in his throwing elbow and was shut down for a few days.
Schmehl @Mlive

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/03/detroit_tigers_reliever_casey.html
Detroit Tigers reliever Casey Crosby dealing with elbow discomfort: 'It's way too early to be frustrated'.
from Mlive

Crosby sidelined because of elbow soreness.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- The list of Tigers pitchers reveals one reliever on the 40-man roster who has not yet pitched in a game. Casey Crosby's conversion from starting prospect to lefty reliever is behind schedule while he works his way back from elbow discomfort.
Crosby said he felt the issue after his second bullpen session, then noticed it flare up while throwing to hitters last week. He was shut down while they underwent tests and put him on a medication program. An MRI exam revealed inflammation in his triceps, Crosby said, but no structural damage.
Crosby is throwing long toss from 120 feet at this point. He's scheduled to get back on the mound for a bullpen session on Sunday and then face hitters again before he can begin game action.
It's the latest setback for a hard-throwing lefty who was among their top prospects not too long ago. Crosby has dealt with several health issues over the years, including a procedure last season to remove bone chips from his elbow.
To him, though, the latest medical matter is too minor for him to get worked up.
"It's way too early to get frustrated," Crosby said.
from the Tigers official site

Last edited:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...028/A-sure-sign-spring-Tigers-tickets-go-sale
A sure sign of spring: Tigers tickets go on sale.
from the detnews

The Tigers announced they sold out available single-game tickets for Opening Day within 25 minutes after they went on sale Saturday morning. Tickets for the March 31 opener against the Royals are still available to fans who purchase a season-ticket package of 20 games or more.

Last edited:
Ausmus encouraging aggressive baserunning.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- The Tigers stole four bases and manufactured half of their offense in their Grapefruit League opener on Wednesday against the Braves. Two days later, they made five outs on the basepaths in their loss to the Yankees.

They've already seen both extremes of their aggressiveness on the basepaths, and they still have four weeks to go in Spring Training. For the manager behind the emphasis, however, it's more about the mindset than the result.

"I've been very happy with how the baserunning has gone, despite the fact that there were outs on the bases," Ausmus said. "That doesn't bother me, because we're trying to change the frame of mind."

The more chances they take, the more they learn their capabilities when they press the issue. That's part of Ausmus' goal.

"We want them to take chances now," Ausmus said. "You hope that creates kind of an overall mentality for baserunning as a team that we're always trying to go the extra 90 or 180 feet. But it gets refined. As players realize what they can and can't do, they start to understand, 'Well, we can't run hog wild.' But the third day of Spring Training games, let's go after it. Let's force them to make the play."

Hank Aguirre is one of only 6 pitchers to lead his league in ERA in a season (1962) with 20+ starts and 20+ relief appearances (and the only one of the six to also lead in WHIP).
All 6 saw their ERA+ drop the next season by at least 20 points, including 4 by 50+ points led by Aguirre?s 83 point plunge.

Filling Verlander's spot, Lobstein makes most of it.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- Kyle Lobstein went into Spring Training last season worrying about where he was going to end up. As a Rule 5 Draft pick, the left-hander had to either make the Opening Day roster or be offered back to Tampa Bay, his former organization.

He didn't make the roster, but the Tigers saw enough to acquire his full rights from the Rays in a trade. It might have ended up being the best thing that could have happened to him. A year later, and a full Minor League season in the Tigers organization under his belt, he's showing the difference.

"It's such a funny situation being a Rule 5 pick," Lobstein said. "It's an exciting time for sure, but at the same time it's so uncertain. It's hard to try and settle down, so to say. But last year, the guys were very welcoming to me, so it helped a lot to try to make me more comfortable. With this year, definitely, I can tell a difference just in how comfortable [I feel]. It's a better feeling."

With Justin Verlander poised to rejoin the rotation next week, Lobstein stepped into the open rotation spot this first turn through Grapefruit League play on Saturday against the Astros. He not only shut down Houston, he became the first Tigers pitcher this spring to toss three innings, walking one and striking out four without allowing a hit in a 5-1 victory.

In so doing, he staked his claim to an insurance starter role he would have had no chance at without last spring's trade. Had he made the Tigers roster, he would've filled an extra bullpen role, his situations limited. Had he gone back to the Rays, he would've been stuck in the middle of their farm system again, behind their young core of talented starters.

The 24-year-old Lobstein went 13-7 with a 3.27 ERA in 28 starts, near-evenly split between Double-A Erie and Triple-A Toledo.

"I'm really trying to build off of last year," Lobstein said. "I went the whole regular season as a starter, and I know that's what they want me working on right now. I just really have to take that mindset."

Lobstein doesn't overpower hitters, but his pitches have movement that will keep them off-balance, resulting in a strikeout rate that belies his style. He hit 88-90 mph Saturday, according to a scout in attendance, but his pitches had life. Three of his four strikeouts were called, at least two of them on offspeed pitches.

"He threw well. He looked good," manager Brad Ausmus said. "He threw everything for strikes, clean innings. His command looked really good."

Back