Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Verlander's first spring start will have to wait. He'll now head indoors and throw a bullpen of sorts. Expected to throw around 45 pitches.
With Verlander throwing a 45-pitch bullpen today, and not being pushed back a day, he's still in line to "start" opening day, if he's ready.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/03/first_justin_verlander_start_o.html
Justin Verlander works to straighten out mechanics on side after first scheduled start is washed out.
from Mlive

http://www.freep.com/article/20140306/SPORTS02/303060140/detroit-tigers-justin-verlander
Justin Verlander's start with Tigers rained out.
from the freep

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-Verlander-strong-first-start-spring-training
Healthy Tiger Justin Verlander strong in first 'start' of spring training.
from the detnews

Verlander gets work in as he seeks 2012 form

Justin Verlander threw 45 pitches in the batting cage Thursday.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- Justin Verlander knew on his way in to Joker Marchant Stadium on Thursday morning that he probably wasn't going to be taking the mound at 1:05 p.m. ET. He was probably going to have to simulate game conditions while throwing in a cage.
Once the Tigers-Phillies tilt was rained out, Verlander did the best he could. He sat at his locker with music blaring through his earphones while the rain poured outside. He went through his usual pregame routine, except for long toss, which he didn't have room to do. He found hitters to stand in the box while he threw his 45 pitches. He sat down in between to simulate his break between innings.

"I did the national anthem and everything," Verlander said.
He couldn't duplicate the conditions completely, but he tried to make the best of it. By physically getting out of a game setting, he treated it as a chance to work on his mechanics once more, trying to regain what he says is his 2012 form, not his 2013 postseason form. He's not where he wants to be yet, he believes, but he's on his way.

"The adjustments I'm making come all the way back to last year," Verlander said. "I threw like this for a year, so it's not so easy. My body wants to fall back into that naturally, because it's a whole year's worth of muscle memory that I'm fighting right now."

That, he suggested, might have been related to the core muscle injury that required surgery to repair two months ago.
"What we're thinking is, the adjustments I'm making, the way I was throwing last year, might have had something to do with an injury being there without me knowing," Verlander said, "and that might have been why I had to change my mechanics a little bit. …

"We think it was a very slow kind of injury, and that's why there was never a pop or anything. I was losing strength through my core, and that was what I think -- what we think -- was my body trying to adjust to that and being able to pitch through it."

One difference Verlander said he noted was a tilt in his shoulders. Instead of having everything parallel, he was firing from a lower angle. He's now trying to bring that back to a level. It was a recent discovery on his part.

Pitching in the cage, he said, allowed him to focus on that again. Pitching in a game will let him see how hitters react to his pitches, but more importantly, give him video of his delivery to watch and compare.
"I know what I'm trying to get to," Verlander said, "and so I'll be able to stop the video and say that's right or that's not right."
from the Tigers official site

Last edited:
http://www.freep.com/article/20140306/SPORTS02/303060082/detroit-tigers-andy-dirks-back-injury
Detroit Tigers' Andy Dirks: 'It could be a lot worse'.
from the freep

Dirks to do 'nothing' for three weeks.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- Andy Dirks has no idea when his back started giving him problems, only that it had been bothering him for quite some time, back to his school days. However, he can pinpoint the play on which it flared up to the point that he had to get it checked.
It was a fly ball Dirks tried to run down last Sunday against the Braves at Disney's Wide World of Sports complex.
"I had a little bit of pain with it off and on [before that], but nothing extreme," Dirks said. "And then, I was running for a fly ball, and it kind of locked up. That was the first clue to me. It just kind of tightened up, and I could feel some pain going down my left leg. But then it kind of goes away. Like when I get loose, it wasn't too bad. But in the morning, waking up was the worst."
It clearly wasn't fine, but Dirks wasn't expecting it to require surgery to repair a disk in his back. Now, instead of spending the next few weeks trying to stake his claim to playing time in left field, he's going to be sitting around his Spring Training apartment, unable to do any workouts while his back heals.
"You prepare as well as you can, and when an injury happens you feel like all that was for nothing, because now I'm not going to be able to do anything for three weeks," Dirks said. "I'm just going to sit in the apartment. But you can't let it get you down at all. I know when I come back that I'll be stronger than I was before. …
"When you first think of back surgery, it seems like something that's just crazy, like you might not ever play again. And really, when you look at the facts, it's not as bad as maybe I played it out at first."
Doctors have expressed confidence to him that the surgery will be successful, and that his recovery should last about 12 weeks.
"It's like three weeks of nothing, let your body heal," Dirks said. "Then it'll be three weeks of physical therapy, then three to five weeks of some sort of baseball activities starting out."

Last edited:
Crosby upbeat about returning to action.
LAKELAND, Fla. -- Left-hander Casey Crosby's bid for a spot in Detroit's bullpen might not be over yet. The converted starting prospect, sidelined for the past couple weeks with tendinitis in his triceps, is scheduled for a live batting-practice session Friday at Tigertown.

If all goes well, the session will put Crosby at the same point he stood in his throwing program when he was sidelined late last month. He had been dealing with some soreness going into his first live BP session before the team's medical staff shut him down.

Crosby sounded upbeat when talking about his return. He came into camp as a candidate for a bullpen spot after his injury-shortened 2013 season prompted team officials to move him out from a starting role. By shortening his outings, the Tigers hoped to not only improve his consistency, but his health.

When Crosby is cleared for game action, he'll join a lefty relief mix that includes veteran Phil Coke, new arrival Ian Krol, swingmen Jose Alvarez, Duane Below and Kyle Lobstein, and now-darkhorse candidate Blaine Hardy.

The Tigers will host a free select-a-seat and open house event on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. ET at Comerica Park. Fans interested in buying a new season-ticket package can enter through the Tiger Den Lounge entrance off of Montcalm Avenue. Complementary parking is available in the Tigers parking garage off the I-75 service drive.

Back