Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

The contract of RHP pitcher Evan Reed today has been outrighted to Triple A Toledo.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2014/06/detroit_tigers_outright_reliev_2.html
Detroit Tigers outright reliever Evan Reed to Triple-A Toledo after he clears waivers.
mlive

Reed headed back to Triple-A Toledo.
Evan Reed is headed back to Triple-A Toledo. The right-handed reliever, designated for assignment by the Tigers last week to make room for Chad Smith, cleared waivers and had his contract outrighted to the Mud Hens on Thursday.
Reed spent most of last season in Toledo, save for a few stints in Detroit. The 28-year-old cracked the Tigers' Opening Day roster this year by showing an effective breaking ball to go with his upper 90s fastball, but struggled over the past month or so.
Because Reed had been designated for assignment previously, he had the option of declining the outright and becoming a free agent. To do that, however, would require him to give up his Major League contract.
Tigers official site

Last edited:
Joba clinging to lineup-card superstition.
Tigers relievers don't usually have a lot to do in the early innings of games. Some of them hang out in the dugout before venturing out after an inning or two. Some go out early and goof around in the bullpen. Joba Chamberlain sticks around the dugout these days and takes out the lineup card just before first pitch.

It's a duty usually reserved for the manager or a coach, which makes the sight of Chamberlain and his scraggly beard trotting out to home plate an odd one. Since he started doing it last week, though, the Tigers went on a winning streak.

Often, bench coach Gene Lamont was taking out the lineup card. In the midst of the Tigers' struggles last week, Chamberlain asked him if he could do it.

"I was like, 'Hey, let me take it,' because usually a coach takes it," Chamberlain said. "Let me try it out. [Lamont] said if we don't win today you take it out tomorrow. And we didn't win."

He brought out the lineup card for last Thursday's series finale against the Royals, and the Tigers ended their skid. That started a winning streak that had reached six, entering Thursday.

"Hey, so far, so good," Chamberlain said. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

It's a superstition that has become a social activity for Chamberlain. His visits are usually followed by a chat with the umpiring crew. Sometimes, it's just conversation. Other times, it's a joke.

"I'll drop a joke in there every once in a while," he said. "I mean, I've been around long enough so I kind of know all the umpires."

Said manager Brad Ausmus: "I know he usually tries to have a joke ready. I asked him a couple times what the joke was."

Chamberlain said he brought out the lineup card one time during his seven-year tenure with the Yankees. It happened last season, he said, and he brought it out with Andy Pettitte.
Tigers official site

Tigers catch World Cup fever.
Anibal Sanchez and his Tiger teammates are into the World Cup.
ARLINGTON -- The Tigers hadn't arrived at the ballpark until well after Team USA's World Cup game against Germany had ended. They were still talking about it.
The Tigers had picked teams for the World Cup before the tournament started. Team USA, according to Max Scherzer, had fallen to Venezuelan pitcher Anibal Sanchez.
Victor Martinez has been following the World Cup closely, spotted frequently in the clubhouse with a Neymar Brazilian jersey. He's also a Barcelona fan who follows Messi passionately. Martinez himself grew up playing futbol in Venezuela before baseball became his career.
He sees the USA's elimination matchup with Belgium as a potential upset.
"You know what," Martinez said, "I think they have a chance."
Tigers official site

With 3 hits tonight, Miguel Cabrera has 600 multi-hit games in his career, tying him with Magglio Ordonez for 158th in MLB history.

Last edited:
Tigers now 24 - 13 on the road.

Porcello scoreless streak has reached 16 innings going back two starts...improves record to 10-4, lowers ERA to 3.41...

Porcello 3rd pitcher since 1900 to win 10G+ ea. of first 6 seasons in ML, before turning 26.....the other two to win 10G+ each of first 6 yrs before 26? Dennis Eckersley and Bert Blyleven....

Rick Porcello's Game Score of 84 tonight - 2nd best of his career (May 28, 2013) and 2nd best for Tiger in 2014 (Scherzer CG).

Rick Porcello in last 365 days:
194 IP
3.47 ERA
3.59 FIP
19-7 W/L
139 K
51 BB
17 HR

Last edited:
Back