Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Today's Legends of the Game are current 1-10 year SO leaders.

1) 2014 LEADERS

1 David Price 133 Rays
2 Felix Hernandez 128 Mariners
3 Stephen Strasburg 121 Nationals
T4 Max Scherzer 119 Tigers
T4 Johnny Cueto 119 Reds
T4 Masahiro Tanaka 119 Yankees
7 Yu Darvish 118 Rangers
8 Corey Kluber 114 Indians
9 Madison Bumgarner 111 Giants
10 Jon Lester 109 Red Sox

2) LAST 2 YEARS (2013-14)

1 Yu Darvish 395 Rangers
2 Max Scherzer 359 Tigers
3 Felix Hernandez 344 Mariners
4 Clayton Kershaw 326 Dodgers
5 Adam Wainwright 317 Cardinals
6 Stephen Strasburg 312 Nationals
7 Jeff Samardzija 311 Cubs
8 Madison Bumgarner 310 Giants
9 Chris Sale 304 White Sox
10 Justin Verlander 294 Tigers

3) LAST 3 YEARS (2012-14)

1 Yu Darvish 616 Rangers
2 Max Scherzer 590 Tigers
3 Felix Hernandez 567 Mariners
4 Clayton Kershaw 555 Dodgers
5 Justin Verlander 533 Tigers
6 Stephen Strasburg 509 Nationals
7 James Shields 504 Rays/Royals
8 Cole Hamels 502 Phillies
T9 Madison Bumgarner 501 Giants
T9 Adam Wainwright 501 Cardinals

4) LAST 4 YEARS (2011-14)

1 Clayton Kershaw 803 Dodgers
2 Felix Hernandez 789 Mariners
3 Justin Verlander 783 Tigers
4 Max Scherzer 764 Tigers
5 James Shields 729 Rays/Royals
6 Cliff Lee 728 Phillies
7 David Price 707 Rays
8 Cole Hamels 696 Phillies
9 Madison Bumgarner 692 Giants
10 Tim Lincecum 680 Giants

5) LAST 5 YEARS (2010-14)

1 Felix Hernandez 1021 Mariners
2 Clayton Kershaw 1015 Dodgers
3 Justin Verlander 1002 Tigers
4 Max Scherzer 948 Tigers
5 James Shields 916 Rays/Royals
6 Cliff Lee 913 Mariners/Rangers/Phillies
7 Tim Lincecum 911 Giants
8 Cole Hamels 907 Phillies
9 David Price 895 Rays
10 Jon Lester 859 Red Sox

6) LAST 6 YEARS (2009-14)

1 Justin Verlander 1271 Tigers
2 Felix Hernandez 1238 Mariners
3 Clayton Kershaw 1200 Dodgers
4 Tim Lincecum 1172 Giants
5 Max Scherzer 1122 Diamondbacks/Tigers
6 Cliff Lee 1094 Indians/Phillies/Mariners/Rangers/Phillies
7 Jon Lester 1084 Red Sox
8 James Shields 1083 Rays/Royals
9 Cole Hamels 1075 Phillies
10 Zack Greinke 1073 Royals/Brewers/Angels/Dodgers

7) LAST 7 YEARS (2008-14)

1 Tim Lincecum 1437 Giants
2 Justin Verlander 1434 Tigers
3 Felix Hernandez 1413 Mariners
4 Clayton Kershaw 1300 Dodgers
5 C.C. Sabathia 1295 Indians/Brewers/Yankees
6 Cole Hamels 1271 Phillies
7 Cliff Lee 1264 Indians/Phillies/Mariners/Rangers/Phillies
8 Zack Greinke 1256 Royals/Brewers/Angels/Dodgers
9 James Shields 1243 Rays/Royals
10 Jon Lester 1236 Red Sox

8) LAST 8 YEARS (2007-14)

1 Justin Verlander 1617 Tigers
2 Tim Lincecum 1587 Giants
3 Felix Hernandez 1578 Mariners
4 C.C. Sabathia 1504 Indians/Brewers/Yankees
5 Cole Hamels 1448 Phillies
6 James Shields 1427 Rays/Royals
7 A.J. Burnett 1386 Blue Jays/Yankees/Pirates/Phillies
8 Dan Haren 1383 A's/Diamondbacks/Angels/Nationals/Dodgers
9 Zack Greinke 1362 Royals/Brewers/Angels/Dodgers
10 Cliff Lee 1330 Indians/Phillies/Mariners/Rangers/Phillies

9) LAST 9 YEARS (2006-14)

1 Felix Hernandez 1754 Mariners
2 Justin Verlander 1741 Tigers
3 C.C. Sabathia 1676 Indians/Brewers/Yankees
4 Cole Hamels 1593 Phillies
5 Tim Lincecum 1587 Giants
6 Dan Haren 1559 A's/Diamondbacks/Angels/Nationals/Dodgers
7 James Shields 1531 Rays/Royals
8 A.J. Burnett 1504 Blue Jays/Yankees/Pirates/Phillies
9 Matt Cain 1462 Giants
10 Cliff Lee 1459 Indians/Phillies/Mariners/Rangers/Phillies

10) LAST 10 YEARS (2005-14)

1 C.C. Sabathia 1837 Indians/Brewers/Yankees
2 Felix Hernandez 1831 Mariners
3 Justin Verlander 1748 Tigers
4 Dan Haren 1722 A's/Diamondbacks/Angels/Nationals/Dodgers
5 A.J. Burnett 1702 Marlins/Blue Jays/Yankees/Pirates/Phillies
6 Cliff Lee 1602 Indians/Phillies/Mariners/Rangers/Phillies
7 Cole Hamels 1593 Phillies
8 Tim Lincecum 1587 Giants
9 James Shields 1531 Rays/Royals
10 Jake Peavy 1524 Padres/White Sox/Red Sox

All charts were generated using the Complete Baseball Encyclopedia.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...kson-odd-man-out-Tigers-outfield-gets-crowded
Austin Jackson odd man out as Tigers outfield gets crowded.
detnews

Jackson sits against left-handed starter.
Austin Jackson has hit left-handed pitchers much better this season than he has in years past, but he's just 1-for-7 with three strikeouts for his career off Rangers southpaw Joe Saunders. Thus, he ended up being the odd man out in the Tigers outfield Wednesday, the first night for manager Brad Ausmus to mix in four outfielders for three spots.

Rajai Davis started in Jackson's usual spot in center field, with red-hot hitting J.D. Martinez moving over to left field to accommodate the return of Torii Hunter in right after more than a week off with hamstring soreness.
It was not an easy decision, Ausmus said, to make.

"I really liked the way Austin swung the bat [Tuesday] night," Ausmus said Wednesday afternoon. "He almost turned me, because he really looked good and we need to get him going. But ultimately, I decided to give Austin a day, and he will be back in tomorrow.
"But he did look really good with the bat last night."

Jackson went 2-for-4 Tuesday night with a pair of opposite-field line drives -- one into the right-field corner for a leadoff double in the fifth inning, the other for a one-out single that kept a seventh-inning rally going. Both came on first pitches from Rangers starter Colby Lewis, improving him to 12-for-27 off the veteran right-hander.

Jackson was caught trying to steal third base after the double. It was a rare steal attempt of third for him, but Ausmus liked the aggressiveness.
"The way he was swinging, his aggressiveness on the bases, I really liked the way he played the game," Ausmus said.
The matchups won out, but Ausmus cautioned that it won't often be the deciding factor unless there's an abundance of history and an obvious difference. Tuesday was a rarity in that regard.

Nor, Ausmus said, will there be a pure rotation of four guys around three spots.
"If the numbers are overwhelming, I might lean towards the matchup," Ausmus said, "but it's going to be how guys are swinging the bat. That's why I almost got turned with Jackson, because he looked so good.

"I don't think the numbers will work out like this that often. J.D. doesn't have that many numbers against a lot of guys that we'll be facing. So really, I'm just going with J.D. because he's swinging the bat well. If I never have to take him out of the lineup again, that means he's swung the bat well all year."
Tigers official site

Last edited:
Davis adjusting to replay's impact on steals.
It took a replay review for Rajai Davis to be caught stealing Tuesday for the sixth time in 27 attempts on the season. It did not take the overturned call for Davis to note the impact that replay has had on teams defending him.

What used to be quick swipe tags on him as he slid into second base are now longer tags as infielders anticipate Davis oversliding the bag. With such plays now reviewable, contact with the bag is now being scrutinized in a way it never could before. A similar situation drew attention early in the year in a nationally televised Yankees-Jays game, and prompted a clarification from Major League Baseball that such plays could be reviewed.

It was replay that revealed Davis losing touch with second base as he got up from his slide, rewarding Rougned Odor for his tag.

"Can't get away with it," Davis lamented, shaking his head. "Before, that was an automatic safe. But I've had two calls that got overturned."

It has changed the way the Tigers have had their infielders tag would-be basestealers, too.

"We've talked to our infielders about riding the tag out," manager Brad Ausmus said. "Keep the glove on the guy, just because that may happen. He may come off the bag and not even know it, and then you look at replay and then you get the call."

It's not going to lead Davis to change the way he slides, partly out of fear that an awkward motion will lead to injury. It will, however, lead him to pay special attention to keeping contact with the bag, something he's usually good at doing.

"It's not going to happen again," Davis said.
Tigers official site

Dombrowski acknowledges search for relief help.
The Tigers need bullpen help, team president/general manager Dave Dombrowski acknowledged Wednesday. However, they have their closer. That was Dombrowski's message on MLB Network Radio.

Dombrowski acknowledged Wednesday what talent evaluators from other teams have been suggesting for some time: Detroit is in the market for relief help with the Trade Deadline about five weeks away. They are not, however, seeking another closer type, believing that the improvement Joe Nathan has shown in recent weeks should carry into the second half of the season.

"We may need a little bit of help in the bullpen," Dombrowski told Casey Stern and Jim Bowden on MLB Network Radio's Inside Pitch program, "maybe middle as we go forward, or someone that can help pitch later in the game. But we're not looking for that closer and that gives you a very comfortable feeling. ?

"We feel comfortable with Joba [Chamberlain] the way he's throwing later there. We have some young guys in our bullpen right now, so I think it's more somebody that feels comfortable pitching a combination of the seventh and eighth innings for us at this time."

That void could be filled by Joel Hanrahan, who continues to rehab in Florida as he prepares to take his surgically repaired elbow into game situations and an eventual Minor League assignment.

"We've got some encouraging signs with him, and he would be an ideal person if he stepped forward," Dombrowski said. "Right now, though, I could not tell if he would be ready to do that and be counted on in August and into September. I'm not saying he will not, but I can't say that he will be. He'd be the ideal type of guy for us, but if there's one thing we're looking to acquire at this point, we'd be keeping an open mind to sort of give us a little more depth in our bullpen."
Tigers official site

Back