Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Ausmus throwing ASG support behind Kinsler.
Manager Brad Ausmus is throwing his support behind the campaign to help Ian Kinsler gain some All-Star votes in the race for the starting job at second base for the American League.

To Ausmus, Kinsler's performance is worthy of an All-Star spot.
"Absolutely, no question," Ausmus said.

Kinsler entered the week trailing Seattle's Robinson Cano by just under 670,000 votes. Voting runs through Thursday, July 3, at 11:59 p.m. ET.

Some of that encouragement was a vote of support for All-Star consideration. Some of it, too, was a good word for Kinsler and his impact on the local media upon his return to Texas.

"I played against Kins, and I always knew he was a good player," Ausmus said, "but I didn't know the guy. And he has been a breath of fresh air. I've really enjoyed having him around. He's a blue-collar player. He's a baseball rat. He loves the little things in the game that can help the team win, steal a base, get a hit or make a play. He's been great."

Fans can cast their votes for starters at MLB.com -- online or on a mobile device -- using the 2014 All-Star Game MLB.com Ballot Sponsored by Experian. The 2014 All-Star Game will be played at Target Field on Tuesday, July 15 on FOX.
Tigers official site

J.D. Martinez grateful to have learned from struggles.
On Tuesday it was Ian Kinsler playing in his former home park, meeting with the local media for the first time since his offseason trade out of Texas. J.D. Martinez has a reunion coming later this week.

When the Tigers go to Houston for a three-game series against the Astros this weekend, Martinez will be back in his old home, the place he was expecting to still call home until the Astros released him in the final weeks of Spring Training.

The move is not something Martinez is likely to dwell on. The way he's looking at things, everything happens for a reason. If he hadn't struggled last season, he wouldn't have been on his way out of Houston, but he also wouldn't have made the changes to his swing that helped him, either.

"Everything happens for a reason," Martinez said. "I feel like if I didn't go through what I did, I'd never have my eyes opened to the changes that I needed to make to really kind of come into my own. I feel like that's kind of what happened.

"All of a sudden, my eyes just kind of got opened through all that struggling. God led me to the right person to help me and point a lot of things out. Hopefully, I can just continue to learn and keep making those changes. I'm not perfect. There's some stuff that I still want to continue to work on."

He's also relishing his time in Detroit. And although everyone wonders how long he can keep his bat as hot as it's been, or how often he'll get to play in a four-man outfield mix, he's just hoping he can keep contributing.

"You don't get too many chances, I feel like, to be on a team like this, to have a chance to go a long way," he said. "That's just the biggest thing for me. Whatever I've got to do to help us win."
Tigers official site

Torii rests one more day with matchups in play.
Torii Hunter was healthy and available to play in Tuesday's series opener against the Rangers. He was also 2-for-22 lifetime off Texas starter Colby Lewis.

So although Wednesday is expected to mark Hunter's return to the lineup and the start of Brad Ausmus' outfield rotation, Tuesday seemingly marked the first day of Ausmus playing his outfield by matchups. Ausmus gave Hunter one extra day of rest, but Hunter's struggles off Lewis surely made the decision to be patient easier.

"I don't want to make any predictions," Ausmus said on Tuesday afternoon. "I'm sure it'll be a little bit of both [matchups and rotations]."

Hunter spent Monday's off-day resting in his own bed at his home in nearby Prosper. He made it through all of his required workouts on Sunday without any issues, and he did some early work running on the field at Globe Life Park.

Ausmus insists that finding time for four outfielders shouldn't be terribly complicated. He also doesn't expect to be resting Hunter much more often than usual.

"Even before J.D. [Martinez] heated up, there were times -- basically once a week -- that I would give Torii a day anyway," Ausmus said. "So I don't think that's going to be an issue. And when Torii's swinging the bat the way he normally does, this guy can still hit. So he's still going to get the bulk of the playing time in the outfield."
Tigers official site

June 25 in Tigers history:

1953 - Signed to a contract with the Detroit Tigers less than a week ago, after graduating from Baltimore Southern high school, 18 year old teen phenom Al Kaline makes his major league debut vs. the Philadelphia Athletics and pitcher Harry Byrd. 22 years later Kaline will have set ML records, and finished in the top 5/10/15/20 in many offensive and defensive career leaderboards. Kaline's throwing arm is considered one of the strongest in history, as well as the most accurate of all time.

1961: Vic Power is the baserunner on first base in the bottom of the 9th, when Chuck Essegian pinch-hits a single. Power, thinking it is a home run, waits to shake hands with Essegian, and is forced out at second base. Detroit and Jim Bunning win 6 - 3.

1962 - The Tigers trade Charlie Maxwell to the White Sox for OF Bob Farley.

1974 Tigers workhorse Mickey Lolich completes his 11th straight start. He’s 9-2 with a 1.98 ERA in 100 IP

1980 - Five Cleveland pitchers issue 14 walks, including five with the bases loaded, in a 13 - 3 loss to Detroit.

1991 - Detroit trades former franchise stalwart pitcher Dan Petry to the Braves.

2002 - For the first time ever, a major league game pits two Dominican Republic born managers against each other, as Luis Pujols of Detroit and Tony Pena of KC match wits. The president of the Dominican Republic is on hand for the game, which is broadcast all over Latin America.

Tigers players birthdays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/deerijo01.shtml
John Deering 1903.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pasekjo01.shtml
Johnny Pasek 1933.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garboal01.shtml
Alex Garbowski 1952.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Don_Demeter
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/demetdo01.shtml
Don Demeter 1964-1966.

from baseball reference

Last edited: