Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Saturday's 2 HR game for Miggy was his third multi-HR game vs. NYY, the 8th Tigers hitter in modern era to post 3 or more.
The others were: Norm Cash, Cecil Fielder, Hank Greenberg, Charlie Maxwell, Dick McAuliffe, Vic Wertz and Rudy York.

Leyland pregame;

Leyland: "I have a bench, there's just nobody sitting on it." Santiago the only sub again today.

Leyland: "What's killed us this year is not the DL, it's the guys not on the DL."

Leyland said after Worth in LF, next sub would've been Villarreal, if game had gone extras.

Leyland: "Sparky, God rest him, used to run Jack Morris. I can't imagine doing that with Verlander."

Leyland hoping Benoit will be good for Tuesday. Waiting to see how he feels today though.

Last edited:
Captain Crust, a.k.a. Jim Leyland, choked up in positively authentic fashion during the Magglio Ordonez press conference. Ordonez looks player-grade.

There remains this touching duality to Leyland: barking, fuming, snorting -- and he can't get through any tribute to people without tears.

Ordonez: It's hard to leave something that you've been doing your whole career, your whole life. But I'm happy, I'm at peace.

Ordonez on what he'll miss: I think the smell of the grass on the field, my teammates, all the things that have to do with baseball.

Magglio: "It’s been a wonderful time here in the city, and having support from the greatest fans in the world."

Ordonez: I got 3 young kids, a beautiful wife & I'm just going to spend time with them & see them grow up.

Ilitch: "Magglio is just an automatic leader, and a very, very good-natured man."

Ilitch: "He was a star, and stars usually have pretty big egos. But Magglio didn’t have that big ego."

Ordonez on son: I think it's too early to see but hopefully he can sign as a professional in the big leagues. He's got talent.

Ordonez: White Sox, I always appreciate everything they give me. They signed me when I was 17 years old & give me a chance to play.
Ordonez: If it wasn't for the WhiteSox, I wouldn't be here 15 years.The fans always support me, the org. too.They were great to me.

Ordonez: The season's still early. The Tigers have a wonderful team. They're going to win this division.
Ordonez: Once they get hot, they're going to win a lot of games, they're going to win this division.

Dombrowski: "You’re talking about a true pro, and a professional, you’re talking about Magglio Ordonez."

Magglio Ordonez getting set to address the crowd here at Comerica as he officially retires from baseball. Tigers Live starts in 2 minutes.

Ordonez: I’m really thankful to be part of this organization for 7 years. It’s been a wonderful time here ...

DD: "We’ll also smile, in 2006, in that 4th game of ALCS when we see that ball going over LF fence for 1 of biggest hits in Tigers history".

Ordonez: ... and having support from the greatest fans in the world. I’m just happy to be here, and I thank you all for the support.

Ilitch: Magglio is just an automatic leader, and a very, very good-natured man, who got along with everybody.

Ilitch: Everybody loved him.He was a star, and stars usually have pretty big egos. But Magglio didn’t have that big ego.

Ilitch: He was praised and praised and praised because of his patience, and his discipline, and I said to myself — that’s Magglio.

Leyland: "We always talk about stars — Mr. Ilitch likes stars. And Magglio certainly came along at the right time for the Detroit.

Ordonez: If fans, people in here remember the way that I play on the field, the way that I handled myself outside the field.

Leyland (getting choked up): "I can’t tell Magglio what a treat it was for me ... to watch him play on a daily basis."

Leyland: "I think the best thing I can say to Magglio is, over the years, not all of them become friends but you’ve become a friend".

Leyland: "I thank you for all the wonderful things you did for me, all the respect you showed me ...You’ll be missed. I love you."

dugout is full watching Magglio presentation. Curtis Granderson, Robinson Cano, Nick Swisher watching from Yankees dugout.

MC Dan Dickerson introduces everyone, talks about Magglio's career w/ Tigers. Now a video montage playing on HD screen.

Here it is, Tigers talking about the home run. And the fans standing up to cheer the HR as they show it.

Comerica crowd comes alive (again) watching the 2006 GW HR in the ALCS.

Tigers fans cheer as Magglio walks in from right field, where he played for seven years.

Magglio strolling in from the service entrance to the field in RF, where he played for 7 seasons. Standing ovation begins.

Granderson points to Magglio on his way in from right field. Magglio points back. Most of Yankees now on top of dugout applauding.

Magglio Ordonez reaches Comerica infield for his retirement ceremony. Fittingly came from RF.

Cabrera, Magglio pose for photo on Magglio's way off field. Cabrera strongly believes Magglio can still play.

Wakiji, Mowery, Beck

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back