Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Bunt work part of Santiago's regular routine.
Ramon Santiago's sacrifice bunt attempt Tuesday night couldn't have worked out much better than if he was trying to bunt for a hit. The bunt single loaded the bases for Austin Jackson's two-run double two batters later.

It was the best and most productive bunt of the season from Santiago, who had some very productive bunts the past few seasons. He had struggled on some this year, but he's hoping this gets him on a roll.

"I just have to do it more," said Santiago, who now has two of Detroit's seven bunt hits on the season, but no sacrifices. "I just have to push myself to do it. It depends, because sometimes they play you in. I don't want to give away an out."
Santiago said he puts in bunt work during batting practice every day. The key for him, he said, is to get his bat out front. Otherwise, he said, he has trouble getting the bunt down.
from the Tigers official site

Tigers getting healthier, but no change for Dirks.
Aside from the most recent injury to closer Jose Valverde, the Tigers are progressively becoming a healthy ballclub. Alex Avila is set to return to the lineup Thursday, Drew Smyly will pitch three innings for Triple-A Toledo on Thursday and now it's down to Andy Dirks and the players with long-term injuries.

Head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said there's still not much positive news to share on Dirks, who has been sidelined since May 31 right Achilles tendinitis.

"Andy's just treatment-only right now," Rand said. "He still has some residual soreness. He's just treatment and he's still in the walk boot at this time. No changes."

Rand also had updates on relievers Al Alburquerque and Daniel Schlereth.
He said that Schlereth is continuing his rehab from left shoulder tendinitis in Denver, where he's progressed to throwing from 120 feet and is closing in on throwing off a mound.

Alburquerque, who has missed the entire season after undergoing surgery on his right elbow, is throwing in Lakeland, Fla., and completed a bullpen session Wednesday, which Rand did not yet have a report on.

Checking for pine tar not Leyland's style.

DETROIT -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland wasn't criticizing Nationals manager Davey Johnson for asking the umpires to check the glove of Rays reliever Joel Peralta for pine tar Tuesday night. But Leyland said Wednesday that's just "not his style."

"It's just a situation where, in my personal opinion, some things are just better off left alone," Leyland said. "In reality, if I wanted to go to home plate tonight and check somebody's bat, you will find that the pine tar is too high. And I probably got some on my team that it's too high. That's just the way it is."

League rules state that any application of a foreign substance to a ball -- including pine tar -- is prohibited, which is why Peralta was immediately ejected from the game and his glove was confiscated and sent to the Major League Baseball offices in New York.

Leyland said Wednesday during his pregame session with the media that he's been told by players that pine tar provides minimal advantages to a pitcher.

"I've been told that pine tar does absolutely nothing as far as making the ball move and everything else," he said. "In fact, I've been told by a lot of guys that hitters are glad they use it, because they don't have to worry about getting beaned."

Asked if there would be any situation where he'd ask for an inspection of an opposing pitcher's glove, Leyland said: "If a guy's standing out there in an obvious situation, loading Vasoline on the ball or something, that's one thing. But putting a little rosin on it or pine tar to get a little bit better of a grip, I'm not going to say anything."

Tigers top hitting prospect Nick Castellanos returned to the starting lineup for Double-A Erie on Tuesday after missing three games with a bruised hand. Castellanos left last Thursday's game as a precaution, but then didn't play in the weekend series at New Britain.

Less than three weeks after the Tigers promoted Castellanos from Class A Lakeland to Erie, they did the same with top relief prospect Bruce Rondon. The big Venezuelan right-hander with the 100-mph fastball received the call Wednesday morning after posting 15 saves and 34 strikeouts over 23 1/3 innings for the Flying Tigers.

The Tigers released outfielders Eric Patterson and Jeff Frazier from Triple-A Toledo. Patterson, signed as a Minor League free agent last winter, exercised the opt-out clause in his contract after not getting to the big leagues by mid-June. Frazier, a former Tigers Draft pick signed last month after playing in Mexico, became expendable once Jared Head returned from the disabled list.

Alex Avila postgame move just got trickier. Gerald Laird leaves with what looks like a strained hammy tagging up for 2nd.

Laird left tonight's game due to left hamstring cramping. He is day-to-day.
not as bad as it looked and led to believe.

http://beck.mlblogs.com/2012/06/20/laird-leaves-game-with-left-hamstring-cramping/
Laird leaves Wednesday nights game with left hamstring cramping.
from Jason Beck

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/06/detroit_tigers_gerald_laird_le_2.html
Detroit Tigers' Gerald Laird leaves game in fifth inning with left hamstring injury.
from Mlive

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/...20&content_id=33659168&vkey=news_det&c_id=det
Hamstring cramp forces Laird from game.
Tigers catcher day to day after injury strikes in fifth inning.

Last edited:
Back