Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Some of Tigers Verlander's pitches are just plain unfair. That last one to Twins Span was one of them.

Tigers defeat Twins 5-1, thanks to Verlander and Cabrera.

Verlander: I can't imagine pitching when it's 100 and humid like it was because it was 75 and I was sweating a whole lot.

Verlander on ASG: it would be nice, it would be fantastic. But I know there's some other guys out there having exceptional years.

Verlander: If I get the start in the All-Star Game, I want to know it's because I've been the best pitcher up to this point."

Verlander: It'd be nice, I'd like to have that on the resume but there's some other guys out there having fantastic years as well."

Verlander: I know it's been frustrating for us, it's been frustrating for the fans and the city. ...

Verlander: But I think they should hang with us. I think this second half holds good promise.

Verlander: Miguel, what can you say? He's the best in the game, in my opinion. It's a pleasure to watch him every day & have him on my side.

Cabrera: That's why Justin is the best pitcher in the AL & I think, in baseball. Because he always gives you a chance to win the game.

Cabrera: It's hard to get it out to CF here. It's too big. When you see a ball go out to CF, it's kind of like, OK, thank God.

Avila on JV: He makes everything look easy. That's a really good offensive team. He just made his pitches. He was nasty today.

from d.wakiji

Tigers beat Twins in game 3 of 4G series, 5-1. Cabrera hits two HR, drives in 3, and Verlander tosses 5th CG of year for 9th win.

Verlander was the story...pitched to contact early, got easy outs...then geared up late, upper 90s FB, K'd 4 of last 8 batters...

Complete game was 5th of the year for Verlander - a new career high, and there are 80 games left. 4-hitter puts record at 9-5, 2.58ERA

Tigers took early 2-0 on pop fly double off bat of Fielder in first. Then it was the Cabrera show...

....Cabrera hit line drive, 429 foot HR to CF in 6th, then ripped HR down LF line in 7th - 2-run shot - and Tigers had 5-1 lead.

Jackson finished 3-3 plus a walk...avg. up to .329, OBP .410...and slugging .547. He's scored 19R in last 20G.

Game ended late after 2 1/2 hr rain delay to start...so #Tigers come back in few hours to wrap up series.

Dan Dickerson

July 5 in Tigers history:

1952 - The Tigers fire their manager of four years, Red Rolfe, replacing him with the popular pitcher Freddie Hutchinson a Tigers pitcher for 10 years. Detroit loses over 100 games for the first time in franchises history. Hutchinson, who manages through the Tigers 1954 season, has new blood on the team with players Harvey Kuenn and Al Kaline, and pitchers Billy Hoeft*, and Paul Foytack.

1969: OF Mickey Stanley plays his 220th straight errorless game and C Bill Freehan picks Paul Blair off third base unassisted. Blair, on third with a triple, strolls too slowly back to the bag after the bat flies out of the hands of Frank Robinson.

1972: In a game against the Royals in Kansas City, Mickey Lolich strikes out the 2,000th batter of his career. In the fifth inning, Lolich fans Cookie Rojas to become the first Tiger hurler to reach the 2,000-K mark. He will end up with 2,679 strikeouts in his career with Detroit, the most by a left-hander in American League history.

1984 - Down 4 - 1 with two outs in the 9th, the visiting Tigers score six runs to beat the Rangers 7 - 4. Lou Whitaker's bases-loaded single scores two, Alan Trammell's single scores another, and Kirk Gibson seals it with a three-run shot down the right field line. Charlie Hough is the loser, while reliever Aurelio Lopez's record goes up to 7-0.

2011: Justin Verlander may be headed to the All-Star Game, but it is Dan Haren who pitches a two-hitter, outdueling the Tigers' ace in a 1 - 0 Angels victory. Verlander and manager Jim Leyland are both ejected by umpire Joe West after Verlander exits the game in the 8th inning.

Tigers players birthdays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/worreti01.shtml
Tim Worrell 1998.

Tigers players who passed away:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Pete_Fox
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/foxpe01.shtml
Pete Fox 1933-1940.

from baseball reference

Last edited:
Game Notes from July 4th:
Tigers 5 - Twins 1: Adding to his MLB lead in IP and CG, Justin Verlander went the distance on 4 hits, beating Minnesota for the 6th straight time, and took over the lead in strikeouts.
Austin Jackson and Miguel Cabrera reached safely in all 8 trips. They would be the first Tigers teammates since 1961 with OPS at least .940.
Cabrera (2 HRs, double) scored 3 runs for just the 2nd time this year; he has a .578 OBP in his last 10 games. Of his 18 HRs, 16 have come against righties, and 13 at home.
Jackson?s .957 OPS would be the highest for a Bengal CF since Heinie Manush in 1926.
Since 2009, Verlander leads the majors in IP, SO and Wins. He?s the only Tigers SP with an ERA below 4.35 this year.
from HighHeatStats

Last edited:
Banged-up Avila gets break from starting lineup.
Tigers catcher Alex Avila got a scheduled day off Thursday, and manager Jim Leyland said Avila will likely get another break in the upcoming Royals series as they try to keep him fresh for a second-half run.

"He's sore. He's beat up," Leyland said. "He got hit on the inside of the leg the other night. He had a little pulled muscle reaching up for one of those intentional walk throws that [Brayan] Villarreal threw [Tuesday]."

Those are just the minor issues. Avila has also suffered through hamstring and knee injuries this season, so the All-Star break might be a blessing in disguise for the Tigers' backstop.

For outfielder Andy Dirks, he's still not close to returning from dealing with lingering right Achilles tendinitis, Leyland said. The skipper was asked if he was being told Dirks would be back with the team after the break and quickly responded with a "No."

"We got a little better news on Dirks, but I don't know when that's going to happen," Leyland said. "He's going to have to go out and play a while, he's been out a long time. He's going to have to go out and get some at-bats, but I don't even know when that's going to be."

Right-hander Max Scherzer, who missed his scheduled start Tuesday with a minor left hamstring strain, is still on schedule to make his start Sunday against Kansas City.
from the Tigers official site

Back