Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Tigers didn't file protest over rain-shortened ruling Tuesday game.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland and spokespersons for the Tigers and Major League Baseball both said Wednesday the team filed no formal complaint with MLB over the umpire's decisions on Tuesday night's rain-shortened game. That followed an ESPN Boston report saying a complaint was filed over crew chief Jerry Layne's decision to start the game and the timing to stop the game with the bases loaded for the Tigers in the sixth inning, citing a Tigers official.

That doesn't mean they were happy, but they didn't protest.
"We never protested the game," Leyland said. "The umpire made a decision, you respect it and move on. He waited and waited a long time after the delay. Could we have gotten one more out in or a home run? I don't know. But we didn't protest any game.

"Jerry Layne was absolutely tremendous. He kept us posted. He knocked on this door and said, 'It's supposed to get a little worse, but I'm going to wait. I'm going to wait until it's time. ... If it's not better by 11:15, I'm going to bang it.' That's all that was ever said."

The Tigers were also under the impression well before the game that the game would start on time, even if there was light rain, catcher Alex Avila said. So whether or not the Tigers agreed, they were kept up to date on the plan.
"There's not many times we've started a game in the rain," Avila said.
Avila said the field conditions were "pretty nasty" by the third inning. The grounds crew did what they could, but they were fighting a losing battle.
As for the decision to call it in the sixth with the bases loaded, Avila said, "It's unfortunate and disappointing."
from the Tigers official site

Tigers move Boesch up to fifth behind Prince. pre-game story.
Wednesday's Tigers lineup shuffle to move Brennan Boesch up to the fifth spot behind Prince Fielder and Delmon Young down to sixth was a move designed to get another left-handed bat in the middle of the order against Red Sox starter Aaron Cook, who entered his start giving up a .309 batting average to lefties this year.

Whether the Tigers make it a longer-term lineup decision is a matter that could be coming up shortly.

"I've been contemplating this for a little bit," Tigers manager Jim Leyland said before the game. "I'm going to think about it [on the off-day Thursday], maybe have a little bit of a different look, see what it looks like. Gotta try something."

It would put left-handed hitters back-to-back in the order, which could make it easier for an opponent to bring in a left-handed reliever to face Prince Fielder. But then, Young's .278 average and .775 OPS off lefties -- the average a steep drop from last year -- hasn't stopped opponents from doing that anyway.

Boesch batted .295 in July with seven doubles, four homers, 17 RBIs and an .828 OPS. All of those numbers were his best for any month so far this season.

"I thought he got in a pretty good groove for a while," Leyland said. "I think he was laying off pitches a little bit better, being a little more selective, and I think it paid some dividends for him. Hopefully, he can do that the last two months. That would be big for us, obviously."
from the Tigers official site

August 2 in Tigers history:

1907: Senators rookie Walter Johnson makes his major league debut, losing to the Tigers, 3 - 2. Ty Cobb gets the first hit off the future Hall of Famer with a bunt single.

1929: The A's spot the Tigers six runs in the 1st inning, then rally to win, 11 - 10. Harry Heilmann has four hits, including two homers, for the losers, as do Marty McManus and Dale Alexander. The Tigers outhit the A's, 13-10. The A's victory increases their American League lead to 11 1/2 games over the Yankees

1942: At Detroit, the Tigers sweep a pair from the Red Sox, 8 - 4 and 6 - 2, to knock Boston out of 2nd place. Dizzy Trout wins the opener, helping himself with a 3-run home run. Virgil Trucks wins the nitecap, giving up a 9th-inning home run to Ted Williams. Along with Jim Tabor, CF Dom DiMaggio has a homer in the opener, then adds an unassisted double play in the nitecap.

1959: Jim Bunning of the Tigers pitches the only "perfect" inning of the last four decades, striking out three Red Sox on nine pitches. Bunning wins, 3 - 0. The last American League hurler to strike out the side on nine pitches was Lefty Grove, in 1928.

1964: Detroit P Larry Sherry suffers a fractured left foot when struck by a liner off the bat of Leon Wagner in Cleveland's doubleheader sweep. Sherry will be out for rest of the year.

1972: The Tigers purchase P Woodie Fryman from the Phillies. In two days, the Bengals will purchase C Duke Sims from the Dodgers. Fryman, just 4-10 for Philadelphia, will go 10-3 for Detroit, while Sims will hit .316 in 38 games. The two veterans will spark Detroit to the American League Eastern Division title.

Tigers players birthdays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lewisco01.shtml
Colby Lewis 2006.

Tigers players who passed away:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Dan_Brouthers
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/broutda01.shtml
Dan Brouthers Detroit Wolverines NL 1886-1888.

from baseball reference

Reminder;
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120716&content_id=35023622&vkey=pr_det&c_id=det
Join us when Tigers honor Carlos Guillen during seventh annual ?Fiesta Tigres! Celebration.
Guillen to be inducted in the Hispanic Heritage Baseball Hall Of Fame.

The Tigers will host the seventh annual ?Fiesta Tigres! Celebration, sponsored by Miller Lite, on Saturday, August 4 to recognize and honor the contributions of Hispanic and Latino players to the game of baseball. Current Tigers players with Hispanic or Latino heritage will be honored as part of the Fiesta Tigres celebration. In addition to current Tigers players, the Tigers will host former Tiger and three-time All-Star infielder, Carlos Guillen, who will be honored in a special pregame ceremony and will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Back