Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Leyland on Scherzer: "He doesn't know how high his ceiling can be if he doesn't get in the way of himself. He doesn't realize how good he is".

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/08/detroit_tigers_jim_leyland_gen_1.html
Detroit Tigers' Jim Leyland: Gene Lamont made great decision sending Austin Jackson home.
from Mlive

Leyland said Lamont is a great third base coach and explained why he feels that way.
"He knows the runner," Leyland said. "He knows the outfielders. He's got the ability to make a split-second decision. He knows the score. He takes chances when you're supposed to take chances. And you are supposed to take chances at times even though you know the guy's probably out if they make the play."

Leyland said an example of that took place last month in Baltimore, when Brennan Boesch was an easy out at home plate on a ball hit to left field.
Leyland recalled a conversation he had with a colleague years ago during baseball's annual winter meetings in which Leyland asked him who he thought the best third base coach was.

"He gave a name," Leyland said. "I said, 'Well, why was he the best?' He said, 'Well, he never got anybody thrown out.' I said, 'Then he was the worst (expletive) third base coach in the history of baseball.'

"You show me a third base coach that never gets anybody thrown out and I'll show you a conservative guy who cost his team a lot of runs."

Leyland says, Scherzer can be 'something special'.
Max Scherzer talked about his win over the Rangers on Friday night like it was a confidence boost, holding down one of the best lineups in the American League.

"To me, you always measure yourself against the best," Scherzer said.

On Saturday, it was manager Jim Leyland's turn to measure Scherzer. His confidence in Scherzer might be a little higher.

"Max is one of those guys to me that doesn't know how high his ceiling can be if he doesn't get in the way of himself," Leyland said. "I don't mean that disrespectfully. The point I'm trying to make is, when he realizes how good he can be, there's no ceiling for him. He has a chance to be something special."

One example of Leyland's idea of getting in the way would be the way Scherzer pitched cautiously, in Leyland's opinion, to Rangers hitters in the early innings Friday.

He finished with eight strikeouts, allowing two runs on eight hits over six innings.

"He complicates it too much once in a while," Leyland continued. "That's just an opinion. Once again, I know he'll disagree. That's OK. That's the way I feel. I'm paying him a compliment, because he doesn't really realize yet how he good he is."
from the Tigers official site

Dotel stepping up in bigger role for Tigers.
Tigers manager Jim Leyland has been praising Octavio Dotel and his role in the bullpen for a few weeks. Now that Leyland is trying to get his pitching staff through the recent struggles of Phil Coke and Joaquin Benoit, that role might be a little bigger.

When Dotel sent down the Rangers in order on 13 pitches in the seventh inning Friday, Leyland decided to send him back out for the eighth. He gave up a hit but recovered for an eight-pitch scoreless inning, sending the game to closer Jose Valverde with a four-run lead.

It marked just the third time in 39 outings this year that Dotel has gone two full innings. Both of the other times came in late June, after Valverde had sprained his wrist and was out for a short spell.

"He's done a heck of a job," Leyland said.

What makes him work in that role, at age 38, Leyland said, is his aggressiveness.

"I think the best thing about him is he's got no fear," Leyland said. "If they hit it, they hit it, and he turns the page real good. He's a neat guy, but I think people don't realize how good of an arm he's got yet. He's got a good arm."

Leyland gives Lamont green light to take chances

ARLINGTON -- The focus on Austin Jackson's inside-the-park home run Friday was the way Jackson gained speed rounding second and left Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler with almost no play short of a perfect throw home. Manager Jim Leyland went out of his way to praise third-base coach Gene Lamont's early, decisive call to send him home.

It was an avenue into Leyland's defense of Lamont, who has taken his share of criticism from fans this year on runners thrown out at home plate.

"There's not a better third-base coach in the American League than Gene Lamont. That's all I know," Leyland said. "I'll argue that with anybody. I don't use the word best, but there's nobody better than him. He's good.

"He knows the runner. He knows the outfielders. He has the ability to make a split-second decision. He knows the score. He takes chances when you're supposed to take chances -- and you are supposed to take chances."

Lamont is one of three coaches, along with hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and infield coach Rafael Belliard, who have been with Leyland through his entire seven-year tenure in Detroit. He's Leyland's longtime friend, and he's regarded as Leyland's closest confidant on discussing in-game decisions. Essentially, he's Leyland's bench coach, but in a bigger role.

He takes chances, Leyland said, but he wants his third-base coach taking chances.

"People don't realize, in actuality, when the game starts, the third-base coach is the one most important coach you've got," Leyland said. "Everybody focuses on hitting coach or pitching coach. But when the umpire says, 'Play ball,' the third-base coach is the most important coach you've got. Trust me.

"I've been there. I've gotten them thrown out. I've made mistakes, like all third-base coaches do. But I know one thing: Never in my 21 years of managing in the Major Leagues have I ever gotten on a third-base coach. If you find that a manager's on his third-base coach, then he should get a different third-base coach, because the third-base coach will get so jittery worrying about making a mistake."

The Tigers are now 14-10 in Justin Verlander starts this season. (25-9 last year). Verlander's ERA this year: 2.46. In 2011: 2.40.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...ff-fashion-after-Tigers-waste-chance-in-ninth
Rangers 2 - Tigers 1 : Rangers win in walk-off fashion after Tigers waste chance in ninth.
from the detnews

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/mlb/g...012_08_11_detmlb_texmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=det
After Verlander duels, Tigers fall on walk-off hit.
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/mlb/g...d=det#gid=2012_08_11_detmlb_texmlb_1&mode=box
Boxscore.

http://www.blessyouboys.com/2012/8/12/3236596/tigers-rangers
Rangers 2 - Tigers 1: Rangers walk off as Tigers' offense, bullpen come up short.
from blessyouboystigersblog

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/08/...anding_tigers.html?blockID=774529&feedID=3706
Tigers fall to Rangers on walk-off single.
from DetroitFox

Last edited:
August 12 in Tigers and mlb history:

1912: Three men attack Ty Cobb on his way to the Detroit rail station. Cobb sustains a cut on his shoulder, but catches one of his attackers and pistol-whips him. Cobb then travels to Syracuse and gets two hits in an exhibition game.

1932: American League president Will Harridge upholds Detroit's protest of its August 1st game against New York and orders it replayed on September 8. Detroit had protested because Tony Lazzeri's and Ben Chapman's batting order was orally reversed after the lineup cards were handed in before the game.

1945: In the lid-lifter at Briggs Stadium? pitcher Jim Tobin acquired on waivers? pitches 3 scoreless innings against New York and clubs a 3-run game-ending homer in the bottom of the 11th to win 9 - 6. Another former Brave Jim Turner? serves up the homer. The Tigers win the nitecap 8 - 2? behind Hal Newhouser's 18th win.

1947 - After losing the first game to Detroit 7 - 1? the Browns take the nitecap 6 - 5? beating Hal Newhouser in relief. For Newhouser? it is his first loss to the Browns after 15 consecutive wins.

1953: At St. Louis? Ray Boone smashes his 4th grand slam of the year to tie a ML record? as the Tigers win 7 - 3 over the Browns.

1970 - Judge Irving Ben Cooper rules against Curt Flood in his antitrust suit. Cooper says "Decisions of the Supreme Court are not lightly overruled... We find no general or widespread disregard of the extremely important position the player occupies... Clearly the preponderance of credible proof does not favor elimination of the reserve clause." However the judge says changes in the reserve clause should be made through negotiation, but denied Flood damages.

1974: Mickey Mantle and Whitey Ford head a group of 6 inductees at Cooperstown.

1980 - Tiger Stadium is packed with 48?361 fans to see Mark Fidrych's return to the big leagues a 5 - 4 loss to the Red Sox. The 1976 American League Rookie of the Year will go 2-3 with a 5.73 ERA in what will be his final attempt to come back from injury? and his last ML season.

1984: Harmon Killebrew? Rick Ferrell? Don Drysdale? Pee Wee Reese? and Luis Aparicio are inducted into the Hall of Fame at Cooperstown? New York.

1987 - The Detroit Tigers, needing pitching help for the pennant drive, acquire Doyle Alexander from the Atlanta Braves for minor league pitcher John Smoltz. Alexander will go 10-1 for the Tigers, but Smoltz will turn out to be a perennial All-Star.

1993 - The Tigers defeat the Orioles 17 - 11? as C Chad Kreuter hits a grand slam. It marks the third consecutive game in which a Tiger has hit a grand slam? tying a major league record set by the Milwaukee Brewers in 1978. The two teams combine for 37 hits. Travis Fryman is the only one with 4 hits including 3 doubles.

1994 - Major League Baseball players go on strike. For the first time in 90 years, the World Series will not be held.

2007 - Magglio Ord??ez homers twice in the 2nd inning as the Tigers score eight against Dallas Braden. He becomes the second player in Detroit Tigers history to hit two home runs in an inning. All-time great rightfielder Al Kaline was the other back on April 17, 1955.

Tigers players and managers birthdays:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Fred_Hutchinson
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hutchfr01.shtml
http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/hutchfr01.shtml
Fred Hutchinson 1939-1940, 1946-1953, manager 1952-1954.

from baseball reference

Back