Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

Tigers have scored just 44 runs in their last 12 games, which equates to about 3.67 runs per game.
When the Tigers score five or more runs, they're 47-11. When they score four or fewer, they're 20-47.

Manager Jim Leyland didn't seem too worried about it.....GTFOH.

From Aug.24
Is Tigers ace Justin Verlander a first round pick in 2013? I know a lot of us don't like to take a pitcher in round 1, but Verlander might be one of the safest starters in baseball. Then again, we thought the same of Roy Halladay coming into the 2012 season.

Verlander dominated the Blue Jays yesterday, giving up just 2 runs on 4 hits, 2 walks, and 12 strikeouts in 9 innings pitched. Verlander induced a crazy 24 swinging strikes yesterday. That is the most I have seen in awhile....although, I don't always look at that stat when reviewing box scores. Verlander is now 12-7 ( a far cry from the 25 he won last season) with a 2.50 ERA, 1.00 WHIP and a 192-47 strikeout to walk rate in 190.2 innings this season. He leads the AL in strikeouts, innings pitched and complete games, and is 2nd in ERA and WHIP. He will get some Cy Young award votes again this season, despite the low win total.

Defending yesterday's assertion that Miguel Cabrera should be the AL MVP
According to Baseball Reference, Mike Trout leads the AL in WAR with 8.9 wins above replacement. Miguel Cabrera sits in fourth place with 5.5 WAR. While this is a sizeable gap, so is the 28.1 WAR that the Angels' hitters have compiled this season compared to the 11.7 WAR that the Tigers' batters are responsible for. Trout's 8.9 WAR makes up 31.7% of his team's batter WAR. Cabrera, on the other hand, is worth 47% of the Tigers' batter WAR. Is this method flawed? Absolutely, but so is the award itself. Until then, debate away on who truly deserves the hardware.
from tonights game preview at bybtb

Infante motivated to improve timing after play.
Torii Hunter with the hard slide on Omar Infante at second base to break up a double play and extend Friday's sixth inning for Howard Kendrick's two-run double. That didn't stop Infante from beating himself up.

"It's a tough play, because I catch the ball and see [Hunter] and throw the ball to first base. But I have a chance," Infante said. "If my throw's good, I make the out."

Infante checked the replay later to see the timing on Hunter's collision and when he released the ball.

"When I see the replay, I see after I throw, he [slid in] to me," Infante said.

Tigers infield coach Rafael Belliard saw the same replay, and the same timing. Though Infante got rid of the ball quickly, he released it so soon that it sailed wide on him.

Both Infante and Belliard said that he could have avoided the slide by running towards the throw and coming across the bag for the out. He'd be throwing across his body and against his momentum, but he'd have a clean look.

"I have to go to the ball," Infante said. "When I wait, I stay back. That's why when I stay back, it's hard for me to throw. Sometimes I have to alter my body."

That's a play he said he needs to practice.
from the Tigers official site

Fister works out with encouraging results.
While Drew Smyly was preparing for his first Tigers start in six weeks, the man for whom Smyly was filling in was going through a workout to prepare for the next time his rotation spot.

Doug Fister, scratched from Saturday's start with an adductor strain in his right groin, isn't ready to say yet that he'll be ready for next Saturday. After his latest workout, though, his chances seem better.

"Today was a real good day for us," head athletic trainer Kevin Rand said. "We've got some steps to take yet, but by the same token, I think he was very encouraged by how things went today."

Fister, for his part, said he's approaching his situation on a day-by-day basis. On Saturday, went through a core workout before airing out his arm playing catch.

"It's a little tight, but no soreness," he said of his injury.

The Tigers do not have to keep Smyly around as a precaution. Though players optioned to the Minors usually have to stay for 10 days before they're eligible to be called up again, there's an exception when they're replacing someone who has been placed on the disabled list. Fister has not yet been placed on the DL, so if he's not ready for next Saturday, the Tigers can put him there and then call up Smyly.

Miggy at DH gives Tigers' lineup new look.
Miguel Cabrera was back at designated hitter for the Tigers on Saturday night, and there's every expectation he'll be there again for their next game Sunday afternoon.

"I doubt very much whether Cabrera will play third base before [next week's series at] Kansas City," manager Jim Leyland said.

However, Leyland said, don't expect Cabrera to get a day off anytime soon unless his sore right ankle worsens to the point that it affects him at the plate.

The move continues to cause a shuffle in the Tigers' lineup, forcing Detroit to essentially sacrifice an outfield hitter for a utility infielder at third base. After Ramon Santiago manned the hot corner Friday, Jeff Baker started there Saturday, hoping to take advantage of the .337 average from opposing right-handed hitters against Angels starter Dan Haren.

Despite the splits, Leyland said he had been hoping to get Brennan Boesch in the starting lineup against Haren. If Cabrera had been at third base, shifting Delmon Young to DH, that would have happened.

Instead, Young started in left field for the second straight night. Andy Dirks shifted to right, and Boesch was out of the lineup for the sixth time in the Tigers' last seven games. Leyland said Boesch will start on Sunday against Angels righty Ervin Santana. Unless Cabrera somehow starts at third base, Young will be out of the lineup.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...4/Tigers-must-play-Miguel-Cabrera-injured-not
Tigers must play Miguel Cabrera, injured or not.
from the detnews

Cabrera is batting .333 with 12 home runs and 28 RBIs in the seventh inning or later. He also has a .418 on-base percentage and 1.063 on base and slugging percentage.

Major League Baseball comes out with loads of top 10 batting lists.
Cabrera's name appears in 16 of them, including key stats like batting average, slugging percentage, runners in scoring percentage batting average, home runs and RBIs.

Last edited:
http://www.blessyouboys.com/2012/8/...-peraltas-8th-inning-double-gives-tigers-come
Tigers 5 - Angels 3: Jhonny Peralta's 8th inning double gives Tigers come from behind victory.
from blessyouboystigersblog

?There's been 2 season firsts for Jackson within the past 4 days. He left his feet to making a diving catch on Wednesday, then dropped a fly ball tonight. Neither I expected to see.
?Jackson's 4th inning error was his first since June 29, 2011, a stretch of 174 games.
?Stat via the Twitter must follow Matthew B. Mowery, the Oakland Press beat writer: The Tigers have grounded into 123 double plays, 7 more than any other team in baseball.
?Smyly's line: 6 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 6 K., 1 HR, 99 P Not bad, not bad at all...especially when you factor in the God awful defense.
?Stat via FSD: 4 of the top 5 AL OBP leaders were on the field in Detroit: Fielder (.405), Trout (.402), Cabrera (.392), Jackson (.388). Who was missing? Joe Mauer and his .411 OBP were in Texas.
?Tonight the much maligned 5-9 part of the order came through for the Tigers, batting .500 (10-20) with all 5 RBI.
?In the battle of the bullpens, the Tigers won in a walk. Dotel and Papa Grande combined for 3 scoreless innings. 3 Angels relievers allowed 3 runs in their 2 1/3 innings pitched.
?In the battle of MVP candidates, call it a draw, Both Cabrera and Trout were 0-4 with a K. Wonderboy is 0 for the series.

Back