Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Team Notes Over 3 Million Views!!! Thankyou!

The Tigers will have a move after the game to clear a roster spot for Drew Smyly.
Already found him a locker spot: Don Kelly's old one.
most likely putkonen?

Have confirmed that the BaseballAmerica report of Tigers DJ Driggers being suspended 50 games for PEDs is correct.
MLB came out with a release on it. Also said David Pauley suspended 50 games for drug of abuse.
Mark Anderson at TigsTown

Injured ankle relegates Cabrera to DH duty.
Miguel Cabrera doesn't like to serve as a designated hitter unless he has to. On Friday, with his sore right ankle wrapped, he had to.

"The [head athletic] trainer suggested I DH him tonight," manager Jim Leyland said, "so I DH'ed him."

Neither Leyland nor Cabrera knows how long Cabrera will have to start at DH. Cabrera suggested that "maybe" he'll be able to play third base on Saturday, saying that his ankle is much better on Friday then it was when he had to leave Thursday's game. But even after he returns, it'll clearly be an issue to watch.

This isn't the same ankle that bothered him for a few weeks earlier in the season. That was the left ankle, and that doesn't appear to be as big of an issue as it was. Still, all the minor injuries are enough for Leyland to at least mention the possibility that he'll give Cabrera a day off sometime soon.

Leyland saying that might have been at least a bit self-serving, potentially softening the reaction of fans if it happens, but nonetheless, it might have been a warning.

"You know what? That would be good for a controversial discussion," Leyland said on Thursday. "If I give him a day off and I rest him, everybody will say, 'How can you do that in a pennant race?' But you know what? If I have to do it, I have to do it. And I don't know that I'll have to do it.

"I'm not going to do anything stupid. I mean, look at the lineups. Look at them all over baseball. Guys get days off. If you have to give a guy a day off, I mean, I'm not going to put a guy out there that's hurt and can't perform. If it means [giving] him a day, if it means two days, you give it until the kid's right."
from the Tigers official site

Last edited:
Leyland sees similarities between Trout, Fidrych.
Jim Leyland managed Mark Fidrych in the Tigers' farm system in the 1970s, and he watched a Fidrych game as a fan at Tiger Stadium during the right-hander's magical 1976 rookie season. So when he talks about the phenomenon that "The Bird" created, he knows it from experience.

He sees some of the same reaction over Angels wunderkind Mike Trout.

"This is a little exaggeration, because it's a different type of admiration, but this is a Mark Fidrych-type thing," Leyland said about fan reaction. "Here's this young kid, and everybody's paying attention to him. It's great for the game."

Leyland noted that there's an influx of young players making an impact this year, citing Blue Jays third baseman Brett Lawrie before he was injured, plus others. That type of infusion with new faces, he said, can be good for the game.

From a publicity standpoint, Fidrych might be a fitting comparison. From a talent and impact standpoint, the last 20-year-old to make that big of a splash might be Miguel Cabrera, whose rookie season with the 2003 Marlins ended in a World Series title.

When asked if Trout's rookie season reminded him of his own, Cabrera said, "He's better."

Berry making the most of chances to steal.
Stealing bases in a blowout game with the outcome decided is one thing, manager Jim Leyland likes to say. Stealing them in a close game is another.

Stealing bases when everyone expects it is yet another.

That's what Quintin Berry did on Thursday in the 11th inning with the score tied, as the pickoff throws and pitchout preceding the steal proved.

"It's tough," Berry said on Thursday, "but you've got to take those little windows that you get. I'm going to give everything that I got. I'm not playing every day, so I've got a lot of energy built up, so I'm going to try to put all that into one play for them. I'm just glad we were able to get it."

Berry had entered the game as a pinch-runner. Whether that becomes a primary role for him, especially now that Andy Dirks is getting the vast majority of starts in left field against right-handed pitching, remains to be seen, but it would certainly be playing to a strength.

So far Berry is 17-for-17 stealing bases in the big leagues. Five of those stolen bases have come in the seventh inning or later in either a one-run game, tied contest or with the tying run on deck, according to baseball-reference.com.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2012/08/detroit_tigers_open_series_wit_2.html
Detroit Tigers shut down by Zack Greinke, suffer 2-1 loss despite fine outing by Rick Porcello.
from Mlive

Tigers optioned Luke Putkonen to Toledo following tonight's game. Drew Smyly will be recalled on Saturday.

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...it-tigers-los-angeles-angels?odyssey=nav|head
Los Angeles 2 - Detroit 1: Angels' Zack Greinke outduels Rick Porcello as Tigers fall.
from the freep

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/mlb/g...012_08_24_anamlb_detmlb_1&mode=recap&c_id=det
Tigers see streak end after being held to one run.
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/mlb/g...d=det#gid=2012_08_24_anamlb_detmlb_1&mode=box
Boxscore.

August 25 in Tigers and mlb history:

1913: Ty Cobb swipes home in the 5th inning to help the Tigers edge the Senators 6 - 5.

1930 - Tommy Bridges walks 12 Brownies, but Detroit still beats St. Louis 7 - 5.

1934 - Schoolboy Rowe, Detroit's sensational rookie P, defeats the Senators 4 - 2, for his 16th win in a row tying the American League record held by Walter Johnson, Joe Wood, and Lefty Grove.

1945 - The Tigers' Joe Hoover will swipe only 19 bases in his career, but the most valuable one comes today. On the front end of a 3rd-inning double steal, Hoover steals home against the Browns for the game's only run.

1952: Tiger Virgil Trucks (5-14) throws the second of his two no-hitters this season blanking the Yankees 1 - 0. Phil Rizzuto's third inning at-bat is quickly scored as an error but is changed to a hit only to be reversed again in the sixth inning making the no-hitter a bit controversial.

1961: Jim Bunning (15-9) allows just two hits while blanking the Senators 6 - 0, in a game called after eight innings because of rain. The win keeps the Tigers two games ahead of the Yankees.

1966: The owners approve a 55 percent raise in contributions to the players' pension fund. It will come from television, World Series, and All-Star Game money. Some money will also go to pay the salary of the Players' Association executive director.

1968: The Tigers ahead 5 - 0 fail to score with two on in the 4th inning when the Yanks bring in Rocky Colavito to pitch. The 35-year-old slugger retires Al Kaline and Willie Horton and tosses 2 2/3 innings of scoreless relief to earn the win. In Rocky's only other appearance in 1958, he also faced Kaline, and the victory by a non-pitcher will be the last this century. Bill Robinson and Bobby Cox crash successive homers to tie the score and, after a walk, Rocky comes around to score the winning run. In the 8th Yankees reliever Lindy McDaniel ties the American League record for consecutive batters retired by setting down the first Tiger he faces, giving him 32 straight batters retired over four appearances. New York sweeps, winning 6 - 5 and then topping Mickey Lolich 5 - 4. The four losses in New York leaves the Tigers just five games ahead of the Orioles.

1978: Major League umpires stage a one-day strike in defiance of their contract, in order to gain recognition for their union as their bargaining agent with Major League Baseball. Semipro and amateur umps are pressed into service until a restraining order forces the strikers to return. The umpires will walk out again at the beginning of the 1979 season.

Tigers players birthdays:

Tigers players who passed away:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/h/hoytwa01.shtml
Waite Hoyt 1930-1931.

from baseball reference

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...ly-vs-Angels?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Tigers' missed chances costly vs. Angels.
from the freep

http://www.freep.com/article/201208...-frustrating?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Detroit Tigers
Tigers' lack of offense frustrating.
from the freep

Comerica Park had become a sanctuary. But they're now 4-5 in their last nine games in Detroit, where they were once indomitable. Miguel Cabrera's solo home run Friday was only the 10th extra-base hit for the Tigers in their last six games. It was their first home run in the last four games.

Back