Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do you have a 2007 Appalachian State horror story?

I was in Nebraska at my parents house. No btn. No local radio obviously. Could not get the online feed to work for the life of me. I watched the boxscore all game. Finally got the online feed to work just before hart broke the long run to take the lead. I was going nuts. Then they go down and kick the field goal. Then Michigan gets set up for the field goal only to have it blocked and lose. Horrible to be around Nebraska friends that weekend.

What was fun after the game was the whole next week all of us were trying to convince ourselves that Michigan would be pissed and come out and try and beat up Oregon. Even the media was harping all over that. We had just been torched by Armanti Edwards and yet somehow we thought the defense would "man up" and stop Dennis Dixon. That Saturday against Oregon sure was fun...

What was fun after the game was the whole next week all of us were trying to convince ourselves that Michigan would be pissed and come out and try and beat up Oregon. Even the media was harping all over that. We had just been torched by Armanti Edwards and yet somehow we thought the defense would "man up" and stop Dennis Dixon. That Saturday against Oregon sure was fun...

I remember that.

That Oregon Saturday was the nadir of that season.

agree 100%. And that may even have been the lowest I ever felt as a Michigan fan, period.

That was a surreal feeling... we were 0-4 since Bo died at that point. The Appalachian State game was a disaster, but Oregon was just a nightmare that wouldn't end. I remember wondering if we would ever win a game again, and had no idea what to expect when 0-2 Michigan matched up against 0-2 Notre Dame the next weekend. Then we kicked the crap out of them.

I was in Barcelona, just got there the day before so I was whipped from the time change. i wasn't looking at scores (didn't have international data on my phone at the time), i logged into my email at the hotel and one of my friends emailed me that Michigan lost to App State. I just laughed and went about my day.

I was in Barcelona, just got there the day before so I was whipped from the time change. i wasn't looking at scores (didn't have international data on my phone at the time), i logged into my email at the hotel and one of my friends emailed me that Michigan lost to App State. I just laughed and went about my day.

d31479fe55a49c0d0c735cdb5a1c9cbfa0183c841c16703ce803d615dd1d3a72.jpg

agree 100%. And that may even have been the lowest I ever felt as a Michigan fan, period.

Yeah, I was really down, too. The bowl game made it feel better.

The lowest I've ever felt was last year, watching Sparty's defense beat our OL on every single play. That was absolutely the worst feeling I've ever had.

1. Last year's MSU game
2. App State
3. Kordell Stewart - Fuck him.

Yeah, I was really down, too. The bowl game made it feel better.

The lowest I've ever felt was last year, watching Sparty's defense beat our OL on every single play. That was absolutely the worst feeling I've ever had.

1. Last year's MSU game
2. App State
3. Kordell Stewart - Fuck him.

surprised Toledo isn't on your list, that was worse than App State

surprised Toledo isn't on your list, that was worse than App State

That would probably be 4 or 5 for me. App State is 2 because of the shock of everything. I mean, we were a top 5 team at the time coming off a really good year that we finished poorly. People were talking National Championship. The toledo game...that was probably the worst Michigan team I have ever seen. It was awful at the time, but I knew it was going to be a rough season. Didn't think it would be THAT bad, though.

1. Toledo ( This team was way worse then App st.)
2. App st.
3 Kordell Stweart like Moster said...
3B. Every other Michigan loss ever!!!!!!

Funny in the Wolverine 3-9 season I was at the Wisconsin game and the following year when we were 5-7 I was at the ND game... Too bad I was at last years Nebraska game last year..Only my second loss every in person in about 12-15 games.. I think 10-2 but I am getting fuzzy now... But that Toledo game was the worse... I took that game off to watch and was in Lansing and had to listen on radio going home... it was awful... But then all losses are awful.....

Last edited:
I remember the events of the day pretty clearly, as well as what I was doing, where I was, who I was with, and what I was thinking... it's a lot like September 11, 2001 for me in that way. Obviously, in the grand scheme of things, it was just a football game, but... this was Michigan Football.

I did forget a couple things, or at least didn't remember them as clearly as I remember losing. Looking back at the Box Score, I forgot our defense played pretty well in the 2nd half, only giving up 6 pts total, though 3 of those were the dagger, with App. St. scoring with only 50 seconds left. and we left pts. on the board with two late unsuccessful 2 pt. conversion attempts. Greg Mathews was our leading receiver... and that DOES make you wonder what AA and MM were doing before game day. App St. should not have been able to contain either of those guys.

and Jason Gingell had two (2) blocked FG attempts... and was later replaced at K by KC Lopata, who had a great season.

it's astounding the amount of things that went wrong for us that day. A few minor tweaks in personnel or coaching decisions would've resulted in a W. Or at least overtime...

I am not a huge UofM fan, but I recall where I was and what I was doing because it was a little different. I was on the Ambassador bridge coming back from a week long fishing trip in northern Canada. We had been driving for 8 hours and finally got to the bridge and got stuck in traffic on the bridge. We had a UofM fan in the truck with us so we tried to find the game and turned it on right as App State was scoring for the 2nd time. It got ugly real quick.

It was similar to 9/11 for me as well...just because I was in a weird spot and such a weird outcome to the game. I think we got to listen to most of the game sitting on the bridge.

Toledo loss in sime way was worse than app state given app state skill and championship yes 1-aa but no worse than other teams

But Toledo

Thankfully i was at a bar mitzvah in chicago and only caught the score

By the way that bar mitzvah boy will be here in a2 Thursday for freshman year (markley )

2006 Ohio State loss was worse than all of these except for maybe App. State because of the shock.

Last edited:
Wisconsin running the ball 55-something times in a row was not all that uplifting to witness.

Oregon loss in 2007 was worse for me. Upsets can happen, even crazy ones like App. State. It obviously sucked and I was pissed off about it, but I calmed down heading into Oregon. Convinced myself that by the end of the year we would be right back in conference championship and national title discussions.

Then Oregon happened....never felt so sick about what I was watching. Wisconsin game where they ran the ball at will was bad, but I expected it to be bad going in. Toledo is up there too, but again I had lost faith in the team a little bit by that point. Oregon just felt like I got hit by a truck going 100 mph because I still believed we had a great team and we got routed anyway.

Where I lived, I couldn't get the game on t.v.. But because it was app state I figured I wouldn't miss much and didn't care, well just before I left to go to a pro-ohio wedding I flipped on espn to see how bad the blow out was just to see the horror....worst wedding ever!

Toledo loss in sime way was worse than app state given app state skill and championship yes 1-aa but no worse than other teams

But Toledo

Thankfully i was at a bar mitzvah in chicago and only caught the score

By the way that bar mitzvah boy will be here in a2 Thursday for freshman year (markley )

I missed Toledo as well, at a wedding. There were a lot of spartans there, who had been giving us crap about probably missing a bowl that morning. the other Michigan alum/fan and I had argued that there was no way we'd miss a bowl (we were 2-3 before Toledo), and we'd turn things around as the season went on. The during the wedding party, we heard the final score, and everyone laughed at us.

The Toledo loss didn't bother me as much as the App. St. or Oregon losses, since by that point I realized there really was going to be a lot of adjustment issues under RR. It did make me realize that we probably would not make a bowl game, have a losing season, and wonder exactly what the hell sort of upside we could expect with a guy like RR even when he did get "his guys" in there.

I tried to not care about missing that game too, since I didn't have BTN. When the lowlights kept breaking in on ESPN, I decided I had to go to a bar to see WTF was happening. The closest bar was a BW3, and since it was in Ohio it was packed to the rafters with Buckeye fans gleefully rooting for APST.... Absolutely brutal... I remember thinking, "What a bunch of morons... They are so happy about this, but it was a back breaker for the Big10 conference..."

My second worst experience was Syracuse '98... I sat in the stadium and watched Donovan McNabb absolutely gut the UM defense... UM scored 21 points in garbage time to make the score look respectable, but that was a woodshed beating...

Back