Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

Thundercats

It's no secret we need more speed and a better on base guy at the top. Choo and Ellsbury are free agents. I expect us to make a run at atleast one of them. A lot of good free agent relievers, and one that I want first and foremost is Joe Nathan. Great track record in the central and appears ageless. Re-sign Benoit to be the set-up man again, and sign Matt Thornton as a lefty out of the pen. That would make this pen pretty damn good, and neither should be all that expensive. Throw in a healthy Rondon.. hell yeah. Get one of either Choo or Elllsbury, and our lineup finally has the ability to produce runs without hitting the ball. If we can sign both guys, trade Jackson before we have to make the decision to re-sign him. We could also get away with trading Scherzer for more speed or a better option at 2nd base with prospects.

Here is what I'd love to see as crazy or unlikely as this all is I can still dream

Keep JP at short
Move iggy to second
Move miggy back to first
Nick C at 3rd
Sign choo for left field?
See if we can get Toronto to take fielder for a couple of thier great pen guys

Crazy? Impossible?

Their move is most likely a trade involving Max. I'd hate to see him go, but I don't see any other option. Can't pay him 20 mil/yr and definitely can't let him walk

I think Mr I. and family have a soft spot for Prince and others.. I just don't see a move there.

Last edited:
Here is what I'd love to see as crazy or unlikely as this all is I can still dream

Keep JP at short this would be better in reverse, JP at 2nd, Iggy at SS
Move iggy to second See above, Iggy has better range and a stronger arm.
Move miggy back to first I doubt Miggy wants to play 1st
Nick C at 3rd we don;t even know nick C can hit or will make next seasons roster yet
Sign choo for left field? right field, move Hunter to left
See if we can get Toronto to take fielder for a couple of thier great pen guys would never happen, and would be dumb, you dont trade a position player like Fielder for BP arms

Crazy? Impossible? Neither, just highly unlikely

Keep JP at short
Move iggy to second
Move miggy back to first
Nick C at 3rd

Crazy? Impossible?

Why in the heck would you take the best defensive player in the league and move him off short stop to 2b? That makes zero sense. If you want JP back, he can play 2b. Everything else would be nice. Miggy will not be going back to 1b unless they trade VMart or Fielder. Here's hoping they legitimately consider trading Fielder if possible.

Their move is most likely a trade involving Max. I'd hate to see him go, but I don't see any other option. Can't pay him 20 mil/yr and definitely can't let him walk

If (and likely when) he wins the Cy Young award he will be able to bring an absolute haul back in return in a trade. I would hate to see him go, but they might not have much of a choice. I doubt they can give him the deal he's worth.

Do whatever they wish, trade miggy for all I care, I no longer give a flyin fuck..so long

Last edited:
I'd love to add Choo and play him in RF with Hunter going to left which puts good/great defense in all three outfield positions. He had an OBP of over .400 last year and .389 for his career. He also walked over 100 times. Ellsbury to me is a bit overrated, and I wasn't a fan of all his whining during the ALCS. Choo will be cheaper and make a huge impact for us at leadoff and he even has some pop in his bat. Let Johnny Peralta walk. Not only was he a PED user, but he's due to regress offensively and not worth the money in my opinion. Yea he did great in the postseason, but so did Delmon Young for a few years in a row. Tigers can live without him. I'd resign Infante though.

Last edited:
I'd love to add Choo and play him in RF with Hunter going to left which puts good/great defense in all three outfield positions. He had an OBP of over .400 last year and .389 for his career. He also walked over 100 times. Ellsbury to me is a bit overrated, and I wasn't a fan of all his whining during the ALCS. Choo will be cheaper and make a huge impact for us at leadoff and he even has some pop in his bat. Let Johnny Peralta walk. Not only was he a PED user, but he's due to regress offensively and not worth the money in my opinion. Yea he did great in the postseason, but so did Delmon Young for a few years in a row. Tigers can live without him. I'd resign Infante though.

I agree. Hunter has the arm of a LF not a RF. I can't see being able to make a deal for Prince that would make sense. I thick the only players we have that could bring a good haul for a trade are Scherzer and Miggy. Doubt Miggy is going anywhere but we'll see what happens with Max.

Problem with trading Max is pitching was a big part of why we got as far as we did, they might not be willing to weaken it right away. Probably would wait until trade deadline to decide if they want to trade him if were not doing well, or keep him and make another run if we are.

Keep JP at short
Move iggy to second
Move miggy back to first
Nick C at 3rd

Crazy? Impossible?

Dumb.

Problem with trading Max is pitching was a big part of why we got as far as we did, they might not be willing to weaken it right away. Probably would wait until trade deadline to decide if they want to trade him if were not doing well, or keep him and make another run if we are.

And hitting was the reason we ended the season the way we did..

You don't need a staff like ours to win a title but we need some quality prospects/young ML players. Preferably bats.

Last edited:
And hitting was the reason we ended the season the way we did..

You don't need a staff like ours to win a title but we need some quality prospects/young ML players. Preferably bats.

What series did you watch? We out hit them in every game of the series but 1, which we tied them in.

Every game we lost, aside from game 3, was bullpen blowing the game, or bad defense.

Sure, we could have hit much better, but so could they. In 4 of the 6 games we did enough offensively to beat them, we just suck at protecting leads late.

This is the least athletic team I've seen in years. We have 3, maybe 4 DH types in our typical starting 9 (Miggy,Prince,VMart, and maybe Peralta). All of them are a liability on the bases, and the first three are a liability in the field.

We don't advance on wild pitches unless the ball reaches the backstop, we play station to station, rarely scoring from 2nd on base hits. The team is slow, sluggish and not too good defensively.

Prince leaving somehow some way would help a lot. I just don't see it happening. Miggy needs to be at first, not third. The Prince signing was bad when it happened and will get worse each year. I wish I hadn't come on the board today, now I'm depressed.

OP nailed it. We need a closer. (Shutdown closer is implied). Next priority is BP. We could stand pat otherwise. And Prince needs to show up to camp 50-lb. lighter minimum.

I do NOT want to see Max Sherzer go to another team! He has amazing stuff and is a brilliant intellectual pitcher. Furthermore, he makes the other pitchers better by sharing his pitching intellect with them.

Fielder did not seem to give a flying fuck about losing. He was awful in the playoffs, this year and last year. If we could move him, that would be great.
Obviously keep Miggy, VMart, get rid of Peralta, Benoit, and Jackson. Try to sign some speed and contact hitter to lead-off. Keep Jose at SS, maybe bring Nick C up this year, and sign a couple of hardcore bullpen guys and also perhaps Rondon will be ready. I do wonder who the new manager will be. I hope not anyone currently affiliated with the organization, or with a past affiliation. I agree with some people who have said Tampa staff could provide a manager. I guess we will see.

I do NOT want to see Max Sherzer go to another team! He has amazing stuff and is a brilliant intellectual pitcher. Furthermore, he makes the other pitchers better by sharing his pitching intellect with them.

Fielder did not seem to give a flying fuck about losing. He was awful in the playoffs, this year and last year. If we could move him, that would be great.
Obviously keep Miggy, VMart, get rid of Peralta, Benoit, and Jackson. Try to sign some speed and contact hitter to lead-off. Keep Jose at SS, maybe bring Nick C up this year, and sign a couple of hardcore bullpen guys and also perhaps Rondon will be ready. I do wonder who the new manager will be. I hope not anyone currently affiliated with the organization, or with a past affiliation. I agree with some people who have said Tampa staff could provide a manager. I guess we will see.

Completely disagree with getting rid of Peralta, Benoit and Jackson.

I cant remember for sure, but I think Prince has a full no-trade clause, and if so he's going nowhere.

I'd like to see us sign Max (and Miggy?) to an extension, and focus on getting more athletic and building our pen.

Back