Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

I would try for a big blockbuster trade (which in itself means it probably won't happen)

1) Max Scherzer to Texas Rangers for Juricson Profar and Wilmer Font. Texas suddenly has a stellar top 2 pitchers at the cost of Profar (who they still don't have a full-time position for) and Font (a high end relief prospect). Detroit immediately starts Profar at 2B, and Font transitions into a setup role replacing one of our duds.

2) Sign Brent Gardner to play LF/RF. Improved defense in the outfield, improved speed on the bases, improved OBP at the LF spot.

3) Try to trade Prince Fielder for magic beans. If that means dumping him for nothing more than relievers and prospects, so be it. It is not exactly ideal to throw Castellanos into the fire like that, but I suppose I'll take the guy who I don't know if he can hit over the guy I know CAN'T hit in the postseason. This likely also improves our infield defense as Cabrera has less to cover at 1B, and Castellanos can't be worse than Miggy at 3B.

I agree. Hunter has the arm of a LF not a RF. I can't see being able to make a deal for Prince that would make sense. I thick the only players we have that could bring a good haul for a trade are Scherzer and Miggy. Doubt Miggy is going anywhere but we'll see what happens with Max.

I also agree with all of this. We are stuck with Prince. He will not really start being a liability (except maybe in the postseason) for a couple more years. Don't want to get rid of Max but we could probably fill in almost all our weaknesses if we trade him and we won't be able to pay him enough to keep him. Let JP walk, he was huge in the playoffs but I prefer Iggy despite the fact his offense is going to be mediocre at best.

I wonder if we could do a scherzer for Brandon Phillips and Arnoldo's chatman type deal.

Or scherzer for McCutchen and grilli or Neil walker or both. I'd like that. Bring castellanos up to backup every of position with no pressure on himself whilst not having to see Kelly or dirks out there.

Last edited:
I wonder if we could do a scherzer for Brandon Phillips and Arnoldo's chatman type deal.

The only reason you trade Scherzer is to go from high cost to low. Or else you just resign him.

I can't see him traded for established players or anyone within 2 years of a FA big payday

I would be open to trading Scherzer if we could also get the team to take Prince and a lot of his salary. As much as I'd hate to lose Max, the financial freedom of ridding ourselves of the other horrible contract might be worth it.

No one is going to take Prince's contract, nobody is that crazy. Trading him will not happen.

Id say theres a 70% chance we trade Max though, probably for a top tier 2B player/prospect and a top tier SP prospect, and possibly a 'pen arm or 2. If/when he wins the Cy, he'll fetch at least that.

As somebody in the thread already said try to trade Prince for anything...I would take a low level prospect for him!

As somebody in the thread already said try to trade Prince for anything...I would take a low level prospect for him!

That's why you are not a GM, and probably why you need to wear a helmet at all times.

It's hard to see number 1 type pitchers traded simply because the haul those type players fetch makes available suitors slim. Now we also have to factor in Scherzer isn't the ONLY type Ace on the market this offseason and might not even be the best SP on the trade market with David Price also being on the market.

One of the available suitors this offseason for Scherzer could also help the Tigers out of one of the worse contracts hindering the team moving forward. The Texas Rangers have a hole at 1B are have made it known they plan on upgrading the offence this offseason. You package Scherzer and Prince to Texas for a package starting around Jurickson Profar.

The Tigers would save roughly 45-48 million dollars NEXT season by making this move and not having to resign Infante. It will create some holes for sure with needing a replacement 3B and a bullpen arm with Smyly moving to the rotation next season but at least a move like this would give us payroll flexibility to address those needs.

That's why you are not a GM, and probably why you need to wear a helmet at all times.

I won't argue that Tom needs a helmet, but if DD is able to trade Prince for literally anything, plus doesn't have to eat that salary, he deserves GM of the century. This will never happen of course, but I'm with Tom on this one.

Prince has 7 years 168 million left on his deal. There are only a few teams that would be willing to take on a contract like that. Texas is one of those teams with available money and the willingness to make significant upgrades to their team this offseason. DD would have to be creative in the move and make this BEFORE talks between Texas and Tampa for David Price gets going because I believe Price is their #1 target this offseason.

If we could move Max and Prince to Texas for Profar and Font, that would be a good deal for both sides. Prince immediately upgrades their 1B and Max is the likely Cy Young winner. Profar upgrades 2B for us and Font replaces Smyly in the bullpen (with him moving back into the rotation). The money freed up also allows us to pursue better options at 3B (if Castellanos isn't ready) and LF. With the money saved, Ellsbury becomes a viable option.

Moving from Max and Prince to Profar, Font, and Ellsbury could legitimately be an overall upgrade, and would cost less.

I believe but am not sure there are televisions in Texas which enabled them to watch the postseason... Fielder sadly is not going anywhere.

There isn't a team out there that would offer a low level prospect for him because of his fat ass and fat ass contract.

I believe but am not sure there are televisions in Texas which enabled them to watch the postseason... Fielder sadly is not going anywhere.

I'm also sure somewhere there are intelligent people who understand 11 games is a very small sample, and therefor irrelevant in the long term.

Sad there aren't many of them here.

Back