Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

I've always thought Choo would be a perfect fit for this team if the Tigers decide they can afford him. Boras is his agent, Torii could move to left and then hopefully when Torri bounces Casty is in the wings... great OBP, can hit in the 1st couple spots of the order..solid fielder (at least I haven't heard anything terrible), and we need an asian player.

I think he would too but he will probably be more than what the Tigers are willing to spend. I think they need to upgrade through trades. Get younger, more athletic and improve the defense.

They could have been in on the Adrian Beltre before the 2011 season. The Rangers got him for 6 years and $96M. Not 1/2 the money on an annual basis but certainly significantly better player and at a position of need 3B.

As far as moving forward....not to hard to replace what Prince has done for this team. If you consider his base running skills, terrible defense and what seems to be declining offensive skills I think he would be pretty easy to replace!

If we had gotten Beltre, who I wanted btw, we would not have gotten Vmart, or worse we might have gotten Dunn.

So your complaint is not just 20/20 hindsight, it's actually 3 years back in time hindsight.

Are we just talking about offensive production? I wouldn't mind also figuring in defense, the ability to run in a straight line, you know, that kinda stuff.

who cares what Cabrera wants. If they never signed Prince Miggy would still be at 1B where he belongs. You are quoting his offensive numbers which are not terrible by themselves but when you consider the amount of money they pay him and his other liabilities (basepaths and on defense) he was terrible.

I believe Cabrera is on record as requesting the move to 3B before they signed Prince Fielder.

So as far as "who cares what Cabrera wants", apparently Cabrera does.

And again, what difference does it make where Cabrera plays? He will be well below average wherever it is, but he more than makes up for it, I'd rather he was happy, after all he wins triple crowns when he's happy. So saying where he belongs, is pretty stupid.

If we had gotten Beltre, who I wanted btw, we would not have gotten Vmart, or worse we might have gotten Dunn.

So your complaint is not just 20/20 hindsight, it's actually 3 years back in time hindsight.

I think the only thing we can do is look back and forward. I was just saying that looking back the Prince signing made zero sense and signing a 3B made all of the sense in the world. As far as Dunn....that is one bullet I am glad they did dodge!

Are we just talking about offensive production? I wouldn't mind also figuring in defense, the ability to run in a straight line, you know, that kinda stuff.

Again, Cabrera is a bad baserunner and bad defender too, but he, just like Prince are not in the game of baseball because of their ability to play defense or run a straight line.

I believe Cabrera is on record as requesting the move to 3B before they signed Prince Fielder.

So as far as "who cares what Cabrera wants", apparently Cabrera does.

And again, what difference does it make where Cabrera plays? He will be well below average wherever it is, but he more than makes up for it, I'd rather he was happy, after all he wins triple crowns when he's happy. So saying where he belongs, is pretty stupid.

I think that Miggy has always said he liked to play 3B more than 1st but just becasue someone wants to play a certian position doesn't mean it is best for the tema. He does make up for it with his offense but having a below average 1B doesn't hurt you as bad as a below average 3B.

I think that Miggy has always said he liked to play 3B more than 1st but just becasue someone wants to play a certian position doesn't mean it is best for the tema. He does make up for it with his offense but having a below average 1B doesn't hurt you as bad as a below average 3B.

Miggy at 3rd got us to the ALCS both years, I would argue it didn't hurt us at all.

Again, Cabrera is a bad baserunner and bad defender too, but he, just like Prince are not in the game of baseball because of their ability to play defense or run a straight line.

True and thank god at least ONE of them is producing numbers to overcompensate for the lack there of on other things.

The trade would look MONEY wise like this.

Texas receives:
Fielder - 24M
Scherzer - 15M (arbitration guesstimate)

Tigers receives:
Jurickson Profar - 500k

Tigers would then not have to resign Infante which would free up another 8-10m putting the grand total saved from this deal around 47-48M. Trading Jackson would probably save the team another 5.5m next season putting the grand total up to a staggering 52-53.5m.

You sign Ellsbury (7y 140m is probably the magic number)
You sign Choo (Hunter Pence set the bar so probably 5y 90m)

Those 2 signings would account for 38 million and would better fit the Tigers as a WHOLE given us 2 players in front of Miggy that can get themselves on base and into scoring position on their own. Not only would we be creating speed at the top of the lineup but also would improve significantly defensively both in the OF and the IF. Choo isn't the greatest RF'er by no means but Hunter in LF and Ellsbury platooning CF would be an upgrade. And with Profar at 2B and Iglesias at SS and also having Miggy back at 1B would be a HUGE upgrade from last seasons defense.

1. Scherzer will be lucky to get $15 Mil in Arbitration. David Price had a comparable season in 2012 and he got just barely over $10 Mil. And at signing, this was a record salary for a second-time arbitration-eligible pitcher. Do I think $12 Mil? Yes. But $15 Mil is a stretch.

2. The Tigers do not have to re-sign Infante regardless of what happens. They are not obligated to him one bit. At the most, this is a $4 Mil savings.

3. A trade that involves Fielder and Scherzer only saves roughly about $36 Mil. No More.

4. Texas already has an albatross of a contract in Elvis Andrus. You sure they want a 2nd one?

5. A package with Scherzer will get Profar, without including Fielder. You include Fielder and they might demand we take Andrus in return. Given the two, I would opt for Fielder.

Miggy at 3rd got us to the ALCS both years, I would argue it didn't hurt us at all.

on the other side of the coin maybe him playing a more demanding position is part of the reason he is hurt and couldn't help the team get past the Red Sox.

on the other side of the coin maybe him playing a more demanding position is part of the reason he is hurt and couldn't help the team get past the Red Sox.

That's a pretty big reach. I won't argue it does not have merit, but then we would be going off into woulda, coulda, shoulda, land.

1. Scherzer will be lucky to get $15 Mil in Arbitration. David Price had a comparable season in 2012 and he got just barely over $10 Mil. And at signing, this was a record salary for a second-time arbitration-eligible pitcher. Do I think $12 Mil? Yes. But $15 Mil is a stretch.

2. The Tigers do not have to re-sign Infante regardless of what happens. They are not obligated to him one bit. At the most, this is a $4 Mil savings.

3. A trade that involves Fielder and Scherzer only saves roughly about $36 Mil. No More.

4. Texas already has an albatross of a contract in Elvis Andrus. You sure they want a 2nd one?

5. A package with Scherzer will get Profar, without including Fielder. You include Fielder and they might demand we take Andrus in return. Given the two, I would opt for Fielder.

David Price yes was a 2nd year arby player coming off a salary of 4.35m (key word 2nd year) and increased 138% the following year. IF you calculate those same figures and honestly Max being a 3rd year arby player will have a greater increase Max's number will likely be 16.1m next season which again that would ONLY be the case with the 138% increase. If you want to be technical Max's number MORE than likely will be in the range of 18 million being a 3rd year arbitration player.

David Price yes was a 2nd year arby player coming off a salary of 4.35m (key word 2nd year) and increased 138% the following year. IF you calculate those same figures and honestly Max being a 3rd year arby player will have a greater increase Max's number will likely be 16.1m next season which again that would ONLY be the case with the 138% increase. If you want to be technical Max's number MORE than likely will be in the range of 18 million being a 3rd year arbitration player.

Not sure where you get those percentages, but the max for Max is going to be $15 Mil.

Arbitration means the two sides exchange dollar amounts. DD has never gone to an arbitration since coming to DET. Max might ask for $15 Mil and DET might offer $12 Mil and they settle in between at $13.5 Mil.

But it really doesn't matter. If he is getting traded, then the whole arbitration would be on the gaining team (i.e. TEX).

Why couldn't the Rangers deal with another "albatross" of a contract? After all, their division rivals in the Angels have with Pujols and Hamilton. As far as Prince, his offensive numbers, especially homers, might jump by hitting 81 games per season in their bandbox of a ballpark. Besides, Fielder by virtue of sweating his balls off in that TX heat every summer could/should help him shed many lbs....
eNKAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Although Andrus contract is pretty long, the amount per season isn't that bad, considering that players' salaries will likely continue to escalate, w/o a hard salary cap. Thing is, the Tigers don't need a SS with Iglesias recently aboard, unless his defense turns out to be not "all that", and he can't hit better than the high .100s. The Tigers could try him @ 2B if they had to take on Andrus, or put Iggy on the bench.

Not sure where you get those percentages, but the max for Max is going to be $15 Mil.

Arbitration means the two sides exchange dollar amounts. DD has never gone to an arbitration since coming to DET. Max might ask for $15 Mil and DET might offer $12 Mil and they settle in between at $13.5 Mil.

But it really doesn't matter. If he is getting traded, then the whole arbitration would be on the gaining team (i.e. TEX).

Lets also look at Tim Lincecum. 3rd year of arbitration and he was asking for 21.5m and the Giants countered with 17m. He eventually settled on a 2 year 40.5m deal and we know with Boras that WON'T be happening with Max and rightly so.

Max will almost certainly considering the season he just had come into arbitration with a 20 million dollar mark and the Tigers more than likely will counter with a 15 million offer. They will likely settle somewhere in the middle so don't be surprised if Max reaches the 17.5 million mark for the upcoming season.

One player of note coming into his 3rd year of arbitration is Clayton Kershaw. His numbers unless his 300 million dollar extension is signed will be in the neighborhood of 25 million asking in arbitration. Granted in my eyes and others I would hope Scherzer is not in the same league as Kershaw but he is coming off one of the better seasons numbers wise we have seen in some time so it's not as far fetched as it seems.

Back