Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent Targets

Why would anyone want to trade Scherzer? He and the rest of the starters are the main reasons we got as far as we did in the playoffs. The offense was pathetic. I would have hated to see what would have happened if Smyly or Porcello pitched in his place, even if we had Cano. BTW, I agree. Cano is too expensive, too many years. I like the guy, but he's gonna want too much money. Re-sign Infante.

We do need a leadoff hitter, but I'm going to guess that DD won't want to give up on AJax. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Why would anyone want to trade Scherzer? He and the rest of the starters are the main reasons we got as far as we did in the playoffs. The offense was pathetic. I would have hated to see what would have happened if Smyly or Porcello pitched in his place, even if we had Cano. BTW, I agree. Cano is too expensive, too many years. I like the guy, but he's gonna want too much money. Re-sign Infante.

We do need a leadoff hitter, but I'm going to guess that DD won't want to give up on AJax. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

Infante is the primary reason the offense struggled in the post season. He is the epitome of what is wrong with the Tiger's offense.

Scherzer has trade value to where DET can address multiple positions, namely 2B. DET cannot keep paying big time salaries to players. Eventually they need young prospects. What happens next year when Martinez and Hunter comes off the books? Who is going to step in or up?

Infante is the primary reason the offense struggled in the post season. He is the epitome of what is wrong with the Tiger's offense.

Scherzer has trade value to where DET can address multiple positions, namely 2B. DET cannot keep paying big time salaries to players. Eventually they need young prospects. What happens next year when Martinez and Hunter comes off the books? Who is going to step in or up?

I wouldn't say he was the primary reason....everyeone was bad in the post season except Victor and Peralta. I think the three biggest under performers were Hunter, Jackson and Fielder followed by the bull pen. The three of them struck out a total of 40 times in the two series.

I agree 100% about Scherzer. I don't see any way possible that they will be able to re-sign him after he becomes a FA. I think what is best for the team's long term future is trading him now. I would even consider trading Miggy if the price was right.

You guys are way too desparate. Wow. Trade the triple crown winner? Trade the Cy Young? For real? Unless, we're getting young all-stars in return for max, no.

I wouldn't say he was the primary reason....everyeone was bad in the post season except Victor and Peralta. I think the three biggest under performers were Hunter, Jackson and Fielder followed by the bull pen. The three of them struck out a total of 40 times in the two series.

I agree 100% about Scherzer. I don't see any way possible that they will be able to re-sign him after he becomes a FA. I think what is best for the team's long term future is trading him now. I would even consider trading Miggy if the price was right.

Based on the leverage situations, Infante was the worst at coming through during the post season. So yes, he was a primary reason. And yes, Hunter and Jackson aren't far behind.

But you are wrong about Fielder. He failed because of his salary. That is it.

You guys are way too desparate. Wow. Trade the triple crown winner? Trade the Cy Young? For real? Unless, we're getting young all-stars in return for max, no.

Who's desperate? Who's willing to trade Cabrera?

Scherzer has yet to get the CY. Scherzer has one more year left before he becomes a Free Agent. His performance this year probably priced himself out of being kept. Free Agency has changed. Teams don't get the draft picks they use to get. So, if DET is not going to sign Scherzer/Boras to a big fat contract, now is the time to trade him for something in return. It has nothing to do with desperation. It has to do with filling glaring holes on this team that need to be addressed, hopefully sooner than later.

Based on the leverage situations, Infante was the worst at coming through during the post season. So yes, he was a primary reason. And yes, Hunter and Jackson aren't far behind.

But you are wrong about Fielder. He failed because of his salary. That is it.

Fielder had an OPS of .561 in the post season. He was worse than all regulars with RISP going 0-5 and an OPS of .167. Add in the poor baserunning and poor defense and he was just as bad as the other guys regardless of his salary.

Fielder had an OPS of .561 in the post season. He was worse than all regulars with RISP going 0-5 and an OPS of .167. Add in the poor baserunning and poor defense and he was just as bad as the other guys regardless of his salary.

Not willing to give up the ghost on Fielder. Let him reset in the off-season. Get in shape, clear his head and return with a new look at things. I'm as disappointed as anyone in his performance, but trading him is nearly impossible, and his value is deflated presently.

Fielder has never had a "good" much less great postseason series as a Tiger. This regardless of how he performed in the regular season. His slashline for the postseason including as a Brewer according to BBR is an absolutely pathetic .194/.287/.333/.620. He has all of 2 xbh combined in the '12-'13 postseasons one being a homer in the '12 ALDS vs the A's, the other a double in the '13 ALCS vs the red sux. That is more than enough reason for being left off the roster, IMO. Seems like the Tigers could have pulled anyone capable of playing 1B off their minor league roster or just slotted Donnie Kelly there, and gotten the same results, if not even somewhat better. His marital problems apparently began just prior to this past season, so whats his excuse for sucking @ the plate in the postseason beforehand?

Fielder is not going anywhere unless Detroit is willing to swallow a large part of his contract. He will still put up very good numbers at the plate, at least in the regular season. Don't want to see Max traded but can see the logic if they are able to get the right pieces in return. Profar would sure be nice next to Iggy but I doubt that would happen. As I mentioned earlier, Choo would look good in Detroit uniform but he is probably too rich for DDs blood. I am not expecting any big changes to this team in the offseason but DD has surprised me before. Window is closing, we need that WS ring.

Fielder is not going anywhere unless Detroit is willing to swallow a large part of his contract. He will still put up very good numbers at the plate, at least in the regular season. Don't want to see Max traded but can see the logic if they are able to get the right pieces in return. Profar would sure be nice next to Iggy but I doubt that would happen. As I mentioned earlier, Choo would look good in Detroit uniform but he is probably too rich for DDs blood. I am not expecting any big changes to this team in the offseason but DD has surprised me before. Window is closing, we need that WS ring.

No closer, 2b, Peralta or backup catcher under contract.

They better change something.

I wouldn't trade Miggy for anything, him and Verlander need to retire Tigers. Scherzer however, I could part with for a big haul. I suggested A Pirates trade Scherzer for McCutchen and their 2b Neil OR Grilli. Or both...lol. I would take that I think.

I wouldn't trade Miggy for anything, him and Verlander need to retire Tigers. Scherzer however, I could part with for a big haul. I suggested A Pirates trade Scherzer for McCutchen and their 2b Neil OR Grilli. Or both...lol. I would take that I think.

Pirates are on the cusp. Don't see them trading their best player for anyone even for Max, let alone adding another starting position player.

I would trade Miggy or JV if the price was right. I definitely would like to see them trade Miggy prior to him becoming a free agent. No way do I want to give him a 6-10 year contract after this one is up.

I read that and the author had the audacity to say that Coke, Kelly and Dirks -- among others -- were arbitration eligible as a factor in regards if Cano was affordable. "Committed salary rises" was the phrase he used. Shows how much he knows about the Tigers.

And yet all 3 are still here after most considered two of them had no shot at the 2013 team.

Tells me he knows a lot about the Tigers, insofar as they are very hesitant to cut dead weight.

Pirates are on the cusp. Don't see them trading their best player for anyone even for Max, let alone adding another starting position player.

Scherzer is the best player in the trade, starting pitching dominates the MLB.

Not willing to give up the ghost on Fielder. Let him reset in the off-season. Get in shape, clear his head and return with a new look at things. I'm as disappointed as anyone in his performance, but trading him is nearly impossible, and his value is deflated presently.

And people also forget salary aside, he is still an elite hitter. One slightly down season does not take him out of that category.

Too many "what have you done for me lately" thinking fans around here at times.

I would trade Miggy or JV if the price was right. I definitely would like to see them trade Miggy prior to him becoming a free agent. No way do I want to give him a 6-10 year contract after this one is up.

Same. Always willing to entertain offers, you can always say no, and you might be surprised at what the right one could be.

But never say player X is totally off the table for trade talks, never.

Hopefully, we are just able to keep Scherzer. Its being talked about so much that fans are jumping to a foregone conclusion that we will trade Scherzer. Its possible, but far from done and over.

Unless we get an overwhelming offer, we need to go into next season with Scherzer, and hopefully some sother free agents or call ups, and make a run at the WS again.

After all, its not that often you have a team that is expected to win it all . You can't squander that to try to prolong the teams competitive viability. The Pistons huge streak of deep playoff runs in the 2000's would not mean a thing if they didn't win it in 2004.

Back