Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 1: Lions @ Colts Thread

http://www.detroitlions.com/media-center/video/recent-videos.html
Webvideo Highlights of the Lions 39 - 35 win over the colts.

The Lions have now won five out of their past six season openers, dating to the playoff season in 2011. The last time they did that was 1981-86.

Matthew Stafford leaped Kurt Warner and, of all people, Peyton Manning in passing yards by a QB in his first 100 games. He's now No. 2 all time, trailing only Dan Marino, who has the record at 27,064. Stafford now has (25976 plus today XXX) in 94 games, so that record is very much within his sights.

Running back Theo Riddick was forced to leave the ballgame in the third quarter to be evaluated for a brain injury. He cleared those evaluations was allowed to return midway through the fourth quarter.

Long snapper Don Muhlbach became the ninth player ever to play a game in 13 seasons with the Lions. The others: Jason Hanson (21 years), Wayne Walker (15), Dick LeBeau (14), Dominic Raiola (14), Joe Schmidt (13), Darris McCord (13), Larry Hand (13) and Kevin Glover (13).

Stafford completed 31 of 39 passes for 340 yards and three touchdowns.

Riddick finished with 45 yards rushing on seven carries and five catches for 63 yards for the Lions.

Ameer Abdullah 120 total yards rushing and receiving and one touchdown.

Before this season, the Lions had trailed by 1-8 points in fourth quarters a league-high 66 times since drafting Matt Stafford in 2009. They won 30.3 percent of them, which is above the 28.8 percent league average.
But because there have been so many of them (and so many defeats), it's easy for Lions fans to feel dread in those situations. Whatever the case, this comeback has to feel sweet in Detroit.

It's the first time the Lions have had three running backs score a touchdown in the same game since 2005.

Eric Ebron had five catches for 46 yards and a score.

INJURY REPORT: Detroit's Theo Riddick left for a while to undergo the concussion protocol, but returned late in the game after being cleared.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/9/11/12882624/lions-colts-who-gets-the-game-ball
Lions-Colts: Who gets the game ball? Vote.
PrideOfDetroit

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ss...ame_matthew_staffor_4.html#incart_river_index
Lions postgame: Matthew Stafford throws for 340 yards, three TDs, no interceptions.
Mlive

Last edited:
Anyone else have a mini heart attack when they said there was a flag on the final play? I was like shit not again.

Twice. But honestly, when the Colts scored, and thought they had it won, with Detroit having 3 TOs, I thought "let me introduce you to my dawg(Mr Stafford)". And he bitched them. Fuck the Colts, and yes I drank today

A win is a win!!! I'll take it....

Remember, according to mostly everyone on this board, Luck is Jesus Christ with a football!! Lol. Lions held them in check for the first half. Defense imploded after halftime. Colts O is 150% legit tho.....Luck, Hilton and Moncrief are studs. They have 2 TEs now it seems. Thank God we won't be seeing offenses like that throughout the year...maybe Jacksonville and NY. Looks like we'll be in a lot of shootouts i guess. They showed a lot of moxy coming back from that with 37 seconds left.
Defense.........laps.....laps....laps.......gotta tighten up!!

Remember, according to mostly everyone on this board, Luck is Jesus Christ with a football!! Lol. Lions held them in check for the first half. Defense imploded after halftime. Colts O is 150% legit tho.....Luck, Hilton and Moncrief are studs. They have 2 TEs now it seems. Thank God we won't be seeing offenses like that throughout the year...maybe Jacksonville and NY. Looks like we'll be in a lot of shootouts i guess. They showed a lot of moxy coming back from that with 37 seconds left.
Defense.........laps.....laps....laps.......gotta tighten up!!

Agreed.....anyone who watched this game and still thinks Luck is a lot better than Stafford is an idiot. They are extremely similar.

Our guy was just a bit better today.

No turnovers gives the road team a better chance to win, despite a porous second-half D who didn't force any either.

I have a 7 month old son now...this was looking like the absolute perfect introduction to being a Lions a fan...and then we somehow won!

Last edited:

Remember, according to mostly everyone on this board, Luck is Jesus Christ with a football!!

Not I. When he almost duplicated Stafford's best year I didn't even put him on that level. He's Stafford without the moxy or arm strength IMO.

I give Stafford an A+ today. He was pretty damn good. I will also give the O-Line an A-, they did give up 2 sacks, but otherwise they really played strong as well. Ameer and Theo get an A+ as well.

14354988_10210729541054460_5645519367562516514_n.jpg

I predicted the super bowl after seeing that schedule but you were not around then.
Then revised it to playoffs and maybe a win in the playoffs..

But after seeing that defense we may need to be a tad better on defense lol.

After watching this game i have no clue how we'll end up this year. Look great, look awful, give up 400 yards passing yet people on here are saying luck is no good. Hate to see how many yards we give up vs a good qb lol. Still say the easy schedule favors us....we should be a +.500 team this year.

Last edited:
Bummed I couldn't be here for week 1 banter. Watched the game with my Dad, sitting on the laptop may have been a little rude.

Thoughts on the game:

Getting the referee bitching out of the way early, I was pretty blown away that they ruled Hilton's catch before half time. Calvin Johnson must have PTSD when he sees other players get away with that shit. Also thought the Colts WR (forget who) clearly stepped out of bounds and came back in on that final drive. Maybe the referee's replay moniter is from the 80s.

Colts passing game shredded our secondary in the 2nd half and our DL was very ineffective. I know the Colts passing game is one of their strengths but their OL is shit at the moment. I thought the DL would wreck havok from beginning to end. If Indy doesn't force the running game early on and airs it out, could have been a different outcome.

Lions offense did their job and looked impressive, even if it was against a tattered Indy defense. They spread the ball around just like they said they would. Stafford was crisp, managed the game well. Bonus points for letting Marvin know he's retarded at the end of the game.

Ugly win on the road but it's a win on the road. After that long winless road streak that spanned 1/3 of my entire life, I ain't complaining.

1-0 baby. True win.

*edit* OH. Hader for MVP. Dude barely makes the team and then puts a fucking stamp on the opener. Coaches gotta feel good about that decision.

Last edited:
Odd stat of the day...

Stafford was 4-10 on throws to Jones
0-2 when throwing the ball away

27-27 to everyone else.

That's right.....100% to everyone else!!!

After watching this game i have no clue how we'll end up this year. Look great, look awful, give up 400 yards passing yet people on here are saying luck is no good. Hate to see how many yards we give up vs a good qb lol. Still say the easy schedule favors us....we should be a +.500 team this year.

Who said Luck is no good? Lol.

Watching with your dad is more important than hanging with us mental defectives online.

The offense cleaned up today. No doubt. I loved the way Stafford played and how he spread the ball around. He gets an A+. Riddick, Abdullah, A+. Tate, Jones, Ebron, A.

That being said the same concerns surrounding the offensive line are still there.

Run game? Riddick and Abdullah were not running through holes. They had to make multiple guys miss behind the line of scrimmage and/or use their speed to bounce it outside. No one was grinding out the clock between the tackles. Credit JBC for not trying to do that and recognizing the shootout. Something Lombardo wouldn't have done.

Pass Pro? We played a team that was a JV and Senior league mix on defense when the game began, then half of those guys went down with jammers. Seriously Colts? I know you have had a few injuries but that's your defense? There was no pass rush and guys were getting open downfield at will. Even still they forced a couple bad holding calls by the line that could have been drive killers. They even had two sacks and a few hurries causing the famous Stafford happy feet. I'm not completely sold but it could have been worse.

The defense? No lengthy analysis needed. Outside of Hyder? All bad. Pathetic second half.

I didn't see Stafford throw a high line drive over the middle all day, hopefully he's finally over come that. Seems like in years past that was the biggest problem with his accuracy.

Back