Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 102 Tigers at guardians July 23, 2024 6:40 pm start

You guys who are say 45 or older: Is MLB better now or "then?" I say then.
Baseball is baseball. Great then, great now. Better team would help but its pretty much the same game. Except DH in the NL, and a few rules that speed the game up.

Baseball is baseball. Great then, great now. Better team would help but its pretty much the same game. Except DH in the NL, and a few rules that speed the game up.
I don't agree. I watch the highlights of most games every day on the MLB app and I see a disproportional amount of mental errors, base running mistakes, weak throws from the outfield (why can't MLB outfielders fly the ball to home any more?) passed balls (the OKD controversy rages) and more.

I don't agree. I watch the highlights of most games every day on the MLB app and I see a disproportional amount of mental errors, base running mistakes, weak throws from the outfield (why can't MLB outfielders fly the ball to home any more?) passed balls (the OKD controversy rages) and more.
You don't think that happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's? On some Tigers team the defense in the OF was terrible (Gibson might have had the best arm but he'd wind up when he threw), IF too at times, weren't very good at running the bases either. Mental blunders constant.

You don't think that happened in the 60's, 70's, 80's? On some Tigers team the defense in the OF was terrible (Gibson might have had the best arm but he'd wind up when he threw), IF too at times, weren't very good at running the bases either. Mental blunders constant.
Not to this degree and frequency throughout the league.

Ok. So much for fostering further discussion.
Just not much else to say. The one thing I don't like is back in the day the power hitters were the ones always swinging for the fenses. Nowadays they all seem to do so, 50 home run guy or 5 home run guy.

You guys who are say 45 or older: Is MLB better now or "then?" I say then.
Then for sure. But I'd probably give that answer to all major sports. There aren't too many players now that show they truly give a shit. Probably the obscene amount of money they make.

Then for sure. But I'd probably give that answer to all major sports. There aren't too many players now that show they truly give a shit. Probably the obscene amount of money they make.
A factor, for sure, considering that most professional athletes 60 years ago had winter gigs to make extra money.

Just not much else to say. The one thing I don't like is back in the day the power hitters were the ones always swinging for the fenses. (sic) Nowadays they all seem to do so, 50 home run guy or 5 home run guy.
We are going to disagree on this, too. I don't consider guys like Aaron, Mays, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Schmidt, Mantle, Foxx, McCovey, Williams, Banks, Mathews, Ott, or Murray as guys who "swung for the fences." I'll throw Gehrig in there, too, since he'd have hit 500+ home runs had he not had ALS.

Last edited:
We are going to disagree on this, too. I don't consider guys like Aaron, Mays, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Schmidt, Mantle, Foxx, McCovey, Williams, Banks, Mathews, Ott, or Murray as guys who "swung for the fences." I'll throw Gehrig in there, too, since he'd have hit 500+ home runs had he not had ALS.
  • Wenceel Pérez (S) RF
  • Colt Keith (L) 2B
  • Justyn-Henry Malloy (R) LF
  • Riley Greene (L) DH
  • Matt Vierling (R) CF
  • Bligh Madris (L) 1B
  • Zach McKinstry (L) 3B
  • Jake Rogers (R) C
  • Javier Báez (R) SS
  • We are going to disagree on this, too. I don't consider guys like Aaron, Mays, Robinson, Killebrew, Jackson, Schmidt, Mantle, Foxx, McCovey, Williams, Banks, Mathews, Ott, or Murray as guys who "swung for the fences." I'll throw Gehrig in there, too, since he'd have hit 500+ home runs had he not had ALS.
    I'm not saying they all did, at least that's not what I meant. Just that you didn't have guys like Boggs, Gywnn, Tram, etc. types that weren't swinging for the fenses every at bat. There's much more of that now. Btw, you're older than I am so many of those listed players you posted I never saw. Though Aaron on 715, he was swinging for the fences.

I'm not saying they all did, at least that's not what I meant. Just that you didn't have guys like Boggs, Gywnn, Tram, etc. types that weren't swinging for the fenses every at bat. There's much more of that now. Btw, you're older than I am so many of those listed players you posted I never saw. Though Aaron on 715, he was swinging for the fences.
Aaron's 715 swing looked no different to me than did 714, or any of other HRs I saw him hit, including the HR in the 1971 ASG.

Aaron's 715 swing looked no different to me than did 714, or any of other HRs I saw him hit, including the HR in the 1971 ASG.
He had a HR swing, obviously, and 714, 720, 711, 2 were HR swings. I'm not saying he's swinging violently like Riley Greene does at times but those are fence swings..

Back