Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I can finally relax. Thanks to 105.1

I have no doubt that we will get a tweet from Shefter soon that Mark Davis is on his way to try and talk to Harbaugh

Oh, this guy.
d108343d7a95d1530c703eec9fa33974.jpg

John Clayton on sports center just said Harbaugh played his hand last week. The jets said no the Dolphins said no, UM was his only choice.
Unreal

John Clayton on sports center just said Harbaugh played his hand last week. The jets said no the Dolphins said no, UM was his only choice.
Unreal

This stuff is really starting to piss me off. they refuse to admit they were wrong from the start.

They completely downplay the fact that Jim was raised for this job. Its almost his birthright and I know if Bo would have been in charge of this coaching search he would have picked Jim without question. Actually had Bo been in charge I think Jim would have been the coach instead of RR,

This stuff is really starting to piss me off. they refuse to admit they were wrong from the start.

They completely downplay the fact that Jim was raised for this job. Its almost his birthright and I know if Bo would have been in charge of this coaching search he would have picked Jim without question. Actually had Bo been in charge I think Jim would have been the coach instead of RR,

I think if Bo had been alive, Jim would have been the coach after lloyd. How long Harbaugh remains at UM is the question. I hope for a long time and he does great things. If he wins and competes for national titles he will go down as one of the greats and be remembered. Who remembers great NFL coaches, there are very few that come to mind.

I think if Bo had been alive, Jim would have been the coach after lloyd. How long Harbaugh remains at UM is the question. I hope for a long time and he does great things. If he wins and competes for national titles he will go down as one of the greats and be remembered. Who remembers great NFL coaches, there are very few that come to mind.

I was thinking about that today. It was December 2007... Harbaugh had a 4-8 Stanford team, highlighted by the huge upset of USC, @USC, and a win over rival Cal to end the season. That was promising, but didn't outweigh all the off-field things against him: he had a recent divorce and DUI arrests, and maybe worst of all made the negative comments about Michigan academics & athletics. I remember BM was openly hostile to the thought of hiring him. He seemed to be a bit of a loose cannon.

So it would've taken a huge leap of faith to go with Harbaugh. Ironically, though, in the end BM's sloppy process basically meant he had to take a leap of faith to get somebody, and it allegedly took Lloyd Carr's initiative to get RR on the phone (that part may be the most ironic thing ever.)

Now... if BM had named DeBord "Interim Head Coach" for a season or two I think he could've hired Harbaugh in 2009 or 2010.

in 2010, DB should have definitely hired Harbaugh. That was - both in hindsight and at the time - a huge mistake.

Randomly... I see we did hire one Stanford coach in 2007/2008: RR poached Scott Shafer from Harbaugh's staff.

and maybe worst of all made the negative comments about Michigan academics & athletics.

For the record, most of what he said about Michigan's academics was fair (although it sucks that he pointed to Michigan as the example). I think where he really crossed a line and made some former players angry was the bit at the end.

"They?re adulated when they?re playing, but when they get out, the people who adulated them won?t hire them.?

And that bit more or less contradicts what he says in his 2004 speech I linked to!

Maybe he was still miffed that in 2002 Loeffler got the QBC job. I can't imagine it wasn't handled cordially by Carr and his staff though, and of course, Bo was still around at the time. I think Harbaugh still had some growing up to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Mary Sue Coleman played a big role in keeping Harbaugh from A2 back then. The off field stuff mainly.

Yep, BTN coverage begins at 8:45am PST

Hoops a little later at 11am PST

Back