Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

I Hate This Team

Michigan may have tanked their seasons, but they were certainly in the NC talk throughout Bo's years all the way through Lloyds years. My point was they had the players and they had the opportunity for success(which somehow is completely gone now). Things didnt always go as planned. But i will tell you there wasnt one time where we(as Michigan fans)didnt think it was going to be our year every year. There was no question Michigan had the teams to take them all the way. Michigan and Miami were putting players in the NFL by the dozen. Doesnt always correlate to NC's, but the team sure was talked about year after year. Something MSU can never claim. You guys can go 12-1 the next 10 years and you will never be talked about as a possible National Champion the following season. Sucks and may be political, but its true.

This

Even Lloyd's team never looked this lost

There are plenty of msu fans to talk to, this isnt the only forum on the planet.

It doesn't matter, talk about the 70s, 80s, and 90s all you want.

Have a pleasant evening

You know what? I have no problem with you guys coming over here. I actually enjoy some of your input. But dont you or johnny come talking smack to me when I directed nothing to either of you whatsoever. We get to vent or be jovial over here. Just like you guys do and have done when you lose or win. Thats why we are here. Its a forum and its also therapy for some of us(especially Bob).

Dave Brandon doesn't need alumni to tell him he has issues

He hates to lsoe

You know what? I have no problem with you guys coming over here. I actually enjoy some of your input. But dont you or johnny come talking smack to me when I directed nothing to either of you whatsoever. We get to vent or be jovial over here. Just like you guys do and have done when you lose or win. Thats why we are here. Its a forum and its also therapy for some of us(especially Bob).

I know. I've been through some shitty years with msu and it blows. Fwiw some msu fans, not ne wanted narduzzi gone in 2009 when our d was awful. In reality, we just had a lot of dbs injured but everyone wanted heads to roll

Then why are MSU fans talking about national championships and the present?

This is the peak of the MSU football program's 100 year history and all they have to talk about is a couple conference division championships and Michigan being down.

Then why are MSU fans talking about national championships and the present?

I'm not talking about a national title for msu, just pointing out how byco was continuing to live in the past. I understand why people do it, the past was great. Not the recent past but the 70s, 80s, and 90s, even the early mid 2000s.

Im concerned with what's going on now. Not what happened a decade or more ago.

This is the peak of the MSU football program's 100 year history and all they have to talk about is a couple conference division championships and Michigan being down.

No, that was the 60s when we had multiple national titles but that's ancient history now. We were really damn good back then.

Not to say that 10-1 isn't good but we did benefit a little from the big ten schedule makers. Even with that, we really haven't beem tested much in conference.

Either way, the msu glory days were 40 years ago.

This is simply a good season

I'm not talking about a national title for msu, just pointing out how byco was continuing to live in the past. I understand why people do it, the past was great. Not the recent past but the 70s, 80s, and 90s, even the early mid 2000s.

Im concerned with what's going on now. Not what happened a decade or more ago.

It was only in response to Jonny's claim that Michigan hasn't been in the title picture since Crisler roamed the sideline, which was dead wrong and Byco's information proved that. It's not like he was just coming up with it to talk about it like it mattered. It only mattered as a rebuttal to Jonny's stupid claim...but you should have known that.

No, that was the 60s when we had multiple national titles but that's ancient history now. We were really damn good back then.

Not to say that 10-1 isn't good but we did benefit a little from the big ten schedule makers. Even with that, we really haven't beem tested much in conference.

Either way, the msu glory days were 40 years ago.

This is simply a good season

Love the history we have with Biggie and Duffy and the 6 National Titles in the 50s and 60s, but it means little today. The modern era of football started in 1950 or so, we were a national powerhouse for 2 decades, proud of that, but I know it counts for nothing today.

I think we have a very good football program now, but it's not as good as MD plans for it to be yet.

From '70 to '78 M was ranked no lower than 5th going into its last game so that's at least 9 times in 43 years that I would consider M in the "national title mix" during the season.

Other top-five rankings in final games: 1989, 1991, 1997, 2003, 2006.

So that's 14 times in 43 years. And the program has won 900+ games. 386 wins since 1970. Only Nebraska and OKlahoma have more wins in that time frame.

MSU is ranked 49th with 260.

Yes, yes, we all know Michigan was annually one of the most overrated teams in the country, that's why they got humiliated in Bowl games year after year even when they somehow had a lofty ranking. Bo had 1 or 2 teams that almost won a National title. Lloyd had 1 and then the 2006 team was #2 before losing to Ohio State and getting abused by USC. If you think being overrated and getting spanked in bowls to prove it means you were in the National Title mix...well, that's just the Michigan difference isn't it.

Bo finished in the top 3 three times, never played for a NC, and finished in the top 5 five times. Lloyd tied for a national title and finished in the top 5 1 other time. Just like a Michigan fan to not include the Bowl games in their results. Hell, it took Bo 12 seasons to get his 1st Bowl win.

As far as MSU, we're not the fan base whose identity is so tied to the past, we're not the ones who claim to be this mythical past powerhouse that existed only in Michigan fan's minds and nowhere else. We were a powerhouse in the 50s and 60s, pretty bad in the 70s, and 80s, got better in the 90s, then were bad again in the early 00s, now were good again, not a national power like we were in the 60s, but a darned good team and program.

Of course the games aren't as important to Michigan fans as much as February recruiting wins are, so you'll always have that, Hand not withstanding.

Yes, yes, we all know Michigan was annually one of the most overrated teams in the country, that's why they got humiliated in Bowl games year after year even when they somehow had a lofty ranking. Bo had 1 or 2 teams that almost won a National title. Lloyd had 1 and then the 2006 team was #2 before losing to Ohio State and getting abused by USC. If you think being overrated and getting spanked in bowls to prove it means you were in the National Title mix...well, that's just the Michigan difference isn't it.

Bo finished in the top 3 three times, never played for a NC, and finished in the top 5 five times. Lloyd tied for a national title and finished in the top 5 1 other time. Just like a Michigan fan to not include the Bowl games in their results. Hell, it took Bo 12 seasons to get his 1st Bowl win.

As far as MSU, we're not the fan base whose identity is so tied to the past, we're not the ones who claim to be this mythical past powerhouse that existed only in Michigan fan's minds and nowhere else. We were a powerhouse in the 50s and 60s, pretty bad in the 70s, and 80s, got better in the 90s, then were bad again in the early 00s, now were good again, not a national power like we were in the 60s, but a darned good team and program.

Of course the games aren't as important to Michigan fans as much as February recruiting wins are, so you'll always have that, Hand not withstanding.

Talk about reinventing Spartan history. MSU football was very good in the 50s, and for two years in the 60's (M has more wins in the 60s and MSUs last four seasons in the decade of the 60s were losing ones). M's bowl record was not part of the conversation; you dragged that in. I rebutted your "in the national championship mix" argument and also just deflated your "powerhouse in the 1960s" claim.

No wonder MSU fans don't talk much about the past; it's too painful to reflect upon.

Seriously guys, UofM fans and MSU fans are diving into this same old stupid argument about past vs present? This is the definition of a broken record, at least to me. What's the point in even pursuing it any further?

Seriously guys, UofM fans and MSU fans are diving into this same old stupid argument about past vs present? This is the definition of a broken record, at least to me. What's the point in even pursuing it any further?

It's a straw argument that makes State fans feel a little better about the fact that their overall legacy is incredibly underwhelming. Except for 1994. That was the high-water mark of the Spartan football program.

Borges must know how bad things are. If he has any integrity he would step down at the end of the season. Why make Hoke, the guy that has stood by you, go through this torment. If he doesn't step down, then Hoke or Brandon should fire him.

Borges must know how bad things are. If he has any integrity he would step down at the end of the season. Why make Hoke, the guy that has stood by you, go through this torment. If he doesn't step down, then Hoke or Brandon should fire him.

Hoke needs to make the tough decisions. It's part of his job description.

If Hoke fires Borges, who's out there that is going to replace him and do a better job?

Back