Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Mitch to NBA - Skips 1 year ncaa suspension

Michlady

And now si draft listing Mitch as a late steal

I think we start over
But we need big guys who can play

crazy how at this same time last year, we were thinking 2013-2014 would be a rebuilding year... not a Big Ten Championship & Elite 8, but here we are again. I assume next year at least, we'll only be worrying about LeVert and possibly Walton leaving. Hopefully in 2015-2016 we'll have a little more continuity

crazy how at this same time last year, we were thinking 2013-2014 would be a rebuilding year... not a Big Ten Championship & Elite 8, but here we are again. I assume next year at least, we'll only be worrying about LeVert and possibly Walton leaving. Hopefully in 2015-2016 we'll have a little more continuity

I'd put the chances of Chatman leaving after next year higher than Walton leaving.

If Mitch leaves, I think he may be the most disappointing bb recruit at Michigan I've ever seen. He had one good tourney last year, but was average in his regular season. This year he didn't even get to play much and didnt do well when he did. Then deciding to leave for a possible bench position in the nba...maybe the nbadl.

I'd add Irvin to a possible early departure next year. He and Levert are going to be the guys next year. He'll have every chance to succeed

If Mitch leaves, I think he may be the most disappointing bb recruit at Michigan I've ever seen. He had one good tourney last year, but was average in his regular season. This year he didn't even get to play much and didnt do well when he did. Then deciding to leave for a possible bench position in the nba...maybe the nbadl.

I'd add Irvin to a possible early departure next year. He and Levert are going to be the guys next year. He'll have every chance to succeed

I agree with both points. After Mitch was even considered the top recruit in the nation briefly a couple years ago, to only playing well in a couple tournament games, that'd be very disappointing.

Irvin will have the chance to shine next year. He could be like Stauskas: a 3-point shooter his freshman year and a great player his sophomore year.

More disappointing than Jerod Ward? I think he was the #1 recruit coming in.

He was definitely disappointing. He did have one decent year, though. It's a toss up between the two in my eyes, but I'd give it to Mitch if he leaves. Plus I was barely a teenager when Ward played, so that helps.

Here's the article.

"McGary was projected by some teams as lottery pick before a back injury ended his season in mid-December," Mannix writes. "Instead, he could be a late first-round steal. A high-energy power forward with double-double potential could appeal to Miami, which will likely lose Shane Battier and Michael Beasley this summer."

It's wacky to me...but what can I say? I'm not in the Miami Heat front office; and I expect those guys know more than I do.

The only reason it wouldn't make sense is if he can't work out for teams because of the injury. If he thinks he'll be able to get on the court and show he's healthy then it makes a lot more sense. I think I said as much two weeks ago. Not that NBA execs often do the smart or right thing, but I'd take a McGary who I'm 85-percent sure is healthy over GR3 any day, holding all else (needs, how good my team is, etc) constant.

If he stays, he'd be one of the best big men in the nation and could probably play himself into being a top 10 pick. He'd be stupid to go.

He has to weigh the benefit of improving his stock (and thus his payday) by a full year of great play vs the risk of another injury taking him completely out of 1st round consideration.

Also has to consider that GM's/scouts consider age when projecting NBA ceilings, and he would be a year older than most top prospects in next year's class. What happens to his stock if he has just an OK, not great, year?

Not an easy decision for him.

Many kids are swayed wrong every year. Already there are 32 underclassmen coming out. Only 30 first round picks. Not to mention the seniors that will go in the first round this year. His is a unique situation though given the injury/age thing.

Oh my God......my therapist says I regress a year whenever I hear that name :) Thanks a lot. Did he come in the same year Felipe Lopez did?

Here's the article.

"McGary was projected by some teams as lottery pick before a back injury ended his season in mid-December," Mannix writes. "Instead, he could be a late first-round steal. A high-energy power forward with double-double potential could appeal to Miami, which will likely lose Shane Battier and Michael Beasley this summer."

It's wacky to me...but what can I say? I'm not in the Miami Heat front office; and I expect those guys know more than I do.

This sounds like something being floated by a motivated party. Suddenly Mitch is a "steal" and going to the best team in the league to "fill a need" ....I call BS.

Last edited:
NBA execs will often float things out there to get players into the draft. Whether they're enamored with one particular player or not, the more players that declare, the deeper the draft and the better chance that a good one can fall to them.

The entire NBA is rigged.

To me, this article just sounds like a Dad or brother or someone affiliated with an "agent" wanting to stir the pot and guage real interest. Not unlike the "dozens" of teams interested in TO that was quickly dispelled by an actual poll of NFL GMs, none of whom had any interest.

Why name the Miami Heat and two possible outgoing players when the NBA season isn't over and the notion of McGary being capable of replacing a Shane Battier-like veteran is straight out of left field.

Mitch McGary and Shane Battier are so far apart from bringing similar skill sets. Battier camps in the corners and shoots threes, McGary has a nice little mid-range, and runs the court incredibly well for a big man.

Back