Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

NCAA seed

MSUMatt28

Anyone think we've done enough to get back up to the 3 line or would we need a win tomorrow? I had seen some projections with us at a 5 a couple of days ago though probably more still had us at 4. It might depend on how much of a break they get, if any, for some of the injuries.

At any rate, glad to be watching them play in the finals tomorrow.

Last edited:
If they win tomorrow they're a 2. At worst a 3. It's possible that 3 big ten teams get 2 seeds, I don't know if that's ever happened before.

Win and we get a 3, lose and we get a 4. Do not think we can get a 2.

This is what I'm thinking now that I look at it.

Given where we'll likely we seeded we kind of got hammered in the rankings for losing a few games.

I think we're a 2 if we win. Committee will consider injuries, wed have 8 losses, same as Michigan and kansas would have.

I honestly wouldn't rule it out that we could get to as high as 2 with a win tomorrow. The committee really looks at injuries. If we can back up today's performance tomorrow we could have a slight chance.

My guess-
Get blown out tomorrow-4 seed
Lose a close game-3
Win a close game-3
Win easily-2

Last edited:
I don't see us a getting a 2. Whether we can lose tomorrow and still get a 3 might depend on some teams like San Diego State, Creighton, and Iowa State who are going to be right there too. How they stack us up to the Duke/Virginia loser would decide a lot too. Then again Wisconsin won't fall lower than 3 but I think our resume is just as strong. We are comparable as far as high quality non-conference wins, we tied in the Big Ten standing but we now have the edge based on the tournament win. We lost by 2 at their place down 2 starters and beat them at full strength on a neutral court.

I don't see us a getting a 2. Whether we can lose tomorrow and still get a 3 might depend on some teams like San Diego State, Creighton, and Iowa State who are going to be right there too. How they stack us up to the Duke/Virginia loser would decide a lot too. Then again Wisconsin won't fall lower than 3 but I think our resume is just as strong. We are comparable as far as high quality non-conference wins, we tied in the Big Ten standing but we now have the edge based on the tournament win. We lost by 2 at their place down 2 starters and beat them at full strength on a neutral court.

I'd agree with you if injuries weren't taken into account and our record was what it was

It is going to be interesting to see how much they take that into account. If they can beat UW and UM back-to-back to demonstrate that they're a different team when fully healthy, then maybe.

More often I see the committee ding teams when a key player goes down and they know he won't be available for the NCAAs than I see them cut a team a break because they lost some games while certain guys were out. A 3 is good though. No difference really between a 2 and a 3. The 3 still has to beat the 2, or vice versa to advance. Staying off the 4 line and avoiding the top seeds until the regional final would be good though.

Not much difference between the last two and first 3, still with 1 overall on the s curve

Problem with the seeding's is he game starts late... Committee probably will have them in the 2 or 3 spot and wait to see who wins and rip that nameplate off. Michigan's name will be in the 1 or 2 spot.... See who wins. same thing. Or Michigan will just be in the 2 spot with win or loss.. Not sure I am buying Joe Lunardi's thinking that we are a # 1 seed.. Sure is a logjam for the 2 seeds..

Last edited:
Problem with the seeding's is he game starts late... Committee probably will have them in the 2 or 3 spot and wait to see who wins and rip that nameplate off. Michigan's name will be in the 1 or 2 spot.... See who wins. same thing. Or Michigan will just be in the 2 spot with win or loss.. Not sure I am buying Joe Lunardi's thinking that we are a # 1 seed.. Sure is a logjam for the 2 seeds..

in the past they have said that they had two brackets, one based on each outcome. they said that MSU and OSU were playing for a 1 in 2012, one bracket had MSU as the 1 and the other had OSU. this game will matter

It still seems really unlikely we get a 2 even with a win. I think we squeeze into the 3 line with a win, but it won't be easy. San Diego State and Creighton losing I think bump them both down to 4's. But here are all the other contenders:

Arizona, Florida, WSU, Villanova, Michigan, Kansas, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Iowa State, Louisville, Wisconsin.

That's 12 right there. We'd probably need to get in ahead of whoever they deem as #3 in the ACC pecking order. I can't see anyone else on that list falling to a 4.

It still seems really unlikely we get a 2 even with a win. I think we squeeze into the 3 line with a win, but it won't be easy. San Diego State and Creighton losing I think bump them both down to 4's. But here are all the other contenders:

Arizona, Florida, WSU, Villanova, Michigan, Kansas, Virginia, Duke, Syracuse, Iowa State, Louisville, Wisconsin.

That's 12 right there. We'd probably need to get in ahead of whoever they deem as #3 in the ACC pecking order. I can't see anyone else on that list falling to a 4.

No way Syracuse, Kansas, or iowa state would be ahead of us Syracuse is playing like a nit team, kansas lost 8 and is wo embid, and isu just isn't that impressive.

Though if we play like we did yesterday, seeding doesn't matter much

No way Syracuse, Kansas, or iowa state would be ahead of us Syracuse is playing like a nit team, kansas lost 8 and is wo embid, and isu just isn't that impressive.

Though if we play like we did yesterday, seeding doesn't matter much

True. I didn't mention them but I just saw a projection that had Cincinnati as a 3, which is laughable. Syracuse is probably most likely to be bumped down to 4. Kansas has 9 losses but more Top 50 wins than anyone in the country. Iowa State has a lot of quality wins too.

I think we're better than ISU, but they're fun to watch. Hoiberg can coach.

i think if you guys beat us, there's a legit chance you move all the way up to a 2. You'd have beaten us and Wisconsin in back to back days. That, combined with proving you're healthy and on top of your game, should be a huge benefit in the eyes of the committee. If you lose, then a 3 or a 4. I guess it just depends on how much weight they give to today's games.

and a sidenote: I wish all conference tourney championship games were played on friday and saturday

i think if you guys beat us, there's a legit chance you move all the way up to a 2. You'd have beaten us and Wisconsin in back to back days. That, combined with proving you're healthy and on top of your game, should be a huge benefit in the eyes of the committee. If you lose, then a 3 or a 4. I guess it just depends on how much weight they give to today's games.

and a sidenote: I wish all conference tourney championship games were played on friday and saturday

Huge disadvantage if either of us get Thursday/Saturday. Its hard to get up emotionally over and over again.

Back