Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Numbers on the Helmet

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
Since the players love them so much and the coaches have decided to keep them all year, do you think this will become a permanent thing?

Honestly, I'm up in the air on this. I love them, but does it diminish the winged helmets? That's what everyone's argument about the pride stickers have been. If I had to answer, I'd say keep them.

I love them and was shocked when I saw them before kickoff. In a way I think it feeds back into Hoke and his old school approach. The helmets are now old school. he has done everything he can to get these kids to understand what it means to be a Wolverine. I just hope he has them ready in 2 weeks.

id like them better if they were placed further back on the helmet. just a couple inches

I'm torn. As you said, it sort of diminishes the look of the helmet a bit. At the same time, if the players like them, I've got no problem with them as they are a nod to the history of the program.

In the end, I've got no problem with the players being rewarded for their hard work. If they like it, keep 'em.

I can not decide if I like them or not... having a hard time accepting change to one of the biggest symbols of Michigan football

I like them fine, especially with the traditional jerseys. What I love is that the players came together, decided they wanted them and asked to have them.

This isn't some situatione where UnderArmor or Nike or Adidas is forcing some fake change.... The kids wanted it.

TheTeam, TheTeam, TheTeam!

Well, you can just give the players everything they want. I like them. Since the team wants them so badly, make them earn them. I am thinking something like, you keep them until you lose or something like that.

Next year, though, no numbers. Part of the reason I like them this year is it reminds me of the game against ND and the dedication to Michigan's past, specifically the honoring of Desmond Howard. Next year will be a new year, though.

Why should gay people have to be lumped in with spartan fans, that's not nice.

Don't really care for them. I think the Michigan helmet is the best looking helmet in all of football. I wouldn't screw with it. On the other hand, if this team wants those numbers, I kinda think they've earned it.

alonzomoseley said:
Don't really care for them. I think the Michigan helmet is the best looking helmet in all of football. I wouldn't screw with it. On the other hand, if this team wants those numbers, I kinda think they've earned it.

Well, the way I understand it, the numbers used to be there, so they aren't really screwing with it by putting them back. They screwed with it when they took them off.

yes numbers used to be on helmet so taking them off was messing with it

but am glad we don't do helmet stickers

I like them. I was in the kitchen yesterday before the game started and looked into the living room to see a close-up side view of Denard and thought it was a clip from the ND game (didn't stop to think that was a night game), anyway, then they backed out and showed the regular jersey and I said "Sweet, they're using the numbered helmets today!"

I agree with Hungry, anything to to remind of an ND loss is a good thing.

michlady77 said:
yes numbers used to be on helmet so taking them off was messing with it

but am glad we don't do helmet stickers

see, i liked the helmet stickers. My first memories of Michigan were of Desmond Howard and when Lloyd took the stickers off, I was a little mad...but i was like 13 years old then too.

I really like the numbers on the side. To me is doesn't take anything away from the Wing.

I absolutely don't like them on the helmet. It detracts from the clean look that has been around for years now, cluttering up the beauty of the winged helmet. I also am of the strictest opinion that IF they are going to wear them, the least they could do is COLOR MATCH the numbers to the wings. Seriously, having the numbers and wings different colors is just plain wrong.

All that said, if the players want it, then their performance has warranted it. As an "old fart", I guess I'm just not understanding the mindset of today's youth, but that isn't to say I don't respect their decision and applaude the way the team came together to make their voices heard. It is little things like that which can bring an entire team together, which is something a coach will never be able to teach, request, or order into being. It has made the bond between the players and coaches stronger as well. It shows great promise for the team's future and I am thrilled that Hoke et al listened and made it happen.

Back