Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Ohio* to run spread offense

b311j

I seem to remember a few years of trolling Ohio* fans saying the spread will never work in the BigTen. Then Michigan lead the nation in 3 and outs and got shut down when trying to run the spread against certain teams and the trolls sat and laughed and said "I told you so".

And now this happens:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/60771/ohio-state-offense-modeled-after-oregon

"All you've got to do is look at Oregon," Meyer said. "We're committed to it. We're still going to pop a huddle once in a while, but we're committed to it."

"It's very fast," Miller said. "The defense gets really tired. They're always complaining after practice, saying we need to slow it down. I'd compare it to Oregon."

"I've never run the triple-option until this year," Miller said. "It's neat. There are a lot of things that go into it. I can't wait to run it."

Last edited:
I seem to remember a few years of trolling Ohio* fans saying the spread will never work in the BigTen. Then Michigan lead the nation in 3 and outs and got shut down when trying to run the spread against certain teams and the trolls sat and laughed and said "I told you so".

And now this happens:

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/60771/ohio-state-offense-modeled-after-oregon

"All you've got to do is look at Oregon," Meyer said. "We're committed to it. We're still going to pop a huddle once in a while, but we're committed to it."

"It's very fast," Miller said. "The defense gets really tired. They're always complaining after practice, saying we need to slow it down. I'd compare it to Oregon."

"I've never run the triple-option until this year," Miller said. "It's neat. There are a lot of things that go into it. I can't wait to run it."

I read this yesterday and thought the same thing about the Ohio trolls.

Now it's the best thing since sliced bread. Fools!

Well the response to Michigan having 11 of the recent ESPN Top 150 is that Meyer is focusing on "quality over quantity" when it comes to the handful in the Top 150 he's gotten to commit.

And when kids leave under Rich Rod it's because "Michigan's program is in freefall..."

When kids leave under Meyer it's because "Meyer is cleaning house and laying down the law..."

The spread is a gimmicky offense in the BigTen when Rich Rod runs it at Michigan but it's revolutionary for Ohio* to give it a shot ...and emulate Oregon -- JUST LIKE RICH ROD ALWAYS SAID HE WANTED --

pathetic.

the difference maker potentially is meyer puts some emphasis on D. the problem with RR was never the O (well, other than massive # of turnovers), hell with DR the broke numerous records. so if meyer keeps a solid D to couple the O, it could be ohio* fans who have the last laugh.

i hated RR because of his focus only on O at the sacrifice of D and ST. i don't think meyer is so myopic. not saying they will win, just be careful about laughing before events transpire to warrant the laughter.

the difference maker potentially is meyer puts some emphasis on D. the problem with RR was never the O (well, other than massive # of turnovers), hell with DR the broke numerous records. so if meyer keeps a solid D to couple the O, it could be ohio* fans who have the last laugh.

i hated RR because of his focus only on O at the sacrifice of D and ST. i don't think meyer is so myopic. not saying they will win, just be careful about laughing before events transpire to warrant the laughter.

I agree, but the facts are that Ohio trolls were laughing at the offense.

Meyer never had "great defenses" at Utah when Smith was throwing the ball all over and the kids at Florida, including Tim Tebow, had a lot to do with Meyer's success there (as opposed to scheme)

Rich rods offense was terrible every year.

65 points vs eastern Michigan isn't that great when you score 10 points vs a good defense.

Rich rods offense was terrible every year.

65 points vs eastern Michigan isn't that great when you score 10 points vs a good defense.

In his defense our offense was incredibly young and was learning how to win for the first time.

Yep. Meyer did focus on the D at Florida. He focused on it by letting Mattison run it...oops!

WTF does this mean: "learning how to win for the first time."

They were young and didn't know how to play consistently the whole game and finish during the RR era.. They had the raw talent. It was just age and experience they were lacking.

Well.. That and a defensive coordinator.

The spread is dead! Wasn't that the mantra the entire RR era, and it was the loudest after the nuts beat Oregon in the Rose Bowl a couple of years ago. Is anyone surprised about their double standard position?

I don't love the spread and I do recall the ridicule that took place on ESPN board. Time will tell if Meyer can be successful with it in Columbus. A couple of things to consider:

1. The point someone made about defense cannot be overstated. Against B1G defenses, RR's teams scored whatever they scored on drives that lasted a minute. They never used clock. Problem was that when the O came off, the Michigan D went on and on and on and on and on. You get the picture. Turnovers, crummy D and time of possession undid RR. Could it happen to Meyer? Sure. Will it? Stay tuned.

2. RR's teams were led at QB by mini-me's. Surfer dude (don't remember his name) and early DRob were physically immature and couldn't stand up. Tough for any quarterback, really, but those two were particularly fragile. All it takes is one hit but from a purely physical standpoint, one expects Braxton Miller to hold up a little better.

At the end of the day, the games need to be played.

Last edited:
RR was just a plain dumbass. I don't stamp Meyer with that.

Braxton is a very good QB and I see him doing well the next couple of years.

Miller has a better arm than Denard, but he's not as quick, and he seemed to get rattled a lot easier.

I wonder how he'll develop under Meyer?

Was also thinking, would be interesting to have Loeffler & Bedford's thoughts on what it was like to coach under Meyer.

exactly.

and the "spread" is different than a hurry up no huddle read option. "spread" seems to be applied to every college offensive scheme these days. Texas ran a spread with Colt McCoy ...Brian Kelly ran the spread with Tony Pike ...Rich Rod and Meyer were said to be in rather constant communication about the scheme, I recall reading when RR was hired.

And what was Ohio* running with T_Peezy? That wasn't Pro Style and it wasn't West Coast.

Back