Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT first time to the big house

edmolen12

My girlfriend and I will be in town for the Michigan vs. Maryland game. Was wondering if some of you have any recommendation for the best hotel to stay to enjoy the whole game day experience. We will be arriving the Thursday before the game and flying out the Sunday after the game. Looking to stay close to campus so I can get the most out of my time in Ann Arbor. I grew up in the great state of michigan and have been a long time reader of this board just have never posted., and have never been to the big house. Any and all suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and as always.... GO BLUE!

Only two hotels right on campus and both expensive and require two night stay.
Campus Inn and the Bell Tower

Bunch of hotels just a few miles south by I-94 but they too all jack up prices
As we,, as west of town there is Webers

You can park in city lots for like $10-12 per day if you stay further out and want to walk around

I'd agree with the hotels south of the city around I-94/Briarwood Mall. That's probably your best bet in terms of cost + proximity. Prices will be high, but you should be able to find some occupancy for that weekend.

You could also stay a little further away (Plymouth, Romulus, Northville, etc.) and just leave yourself some extra time to drive into the city, especially on game day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't stay at the other hotel I think now a clarion by webers
it is a dump

My girlfriend and I will be in town for the Michigan vs. Maryland game. Was wondering if some of you have any recommendation for the best hotel to stay to enjoy the whole game day experience. We will be arriving the Thursday before the game and flying out the Sunday after the game. Looking to stay close to campus so I can get the most out of my time in Ann Arbor. I grew up in the great state of michigan and have been a long time reader of this board just have never posted., and have never been to the big house. Any and all suggestion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and as always.... GO BLUE!

If you got the dough and if enjoying "the whole game day experience" is kind of a bucket list thing that makes this event worth paying a premium for, the Campus Inn is definitely the way to go.

If you got the dough and if enjoying "the whole game day experience" is kind of a bucket list thing that makes this event worth paying a premium for, the Campus Inn is definitely the way to go.

I've inquired about there and The Bell Tower maybe a half-dozen times over the years and neither has ever had availability on game day.

I figure they're booked years in advance by wealthy old alums from class years dating pre-1960. the kind of people that book those $5000/person alumni tours and cruises that they talk about in the Alumni magazine, and look like they might fall over if you bump into them.

I've inquired about there and The Bell Tower maybe a half-dozen times over the years and neither has ever had availability on game day.

I figure they're booked years in advance by wealthy old alums from class years dating pre-1960. the kind of people that book those $5000/person alumni tours and cruises that they talk about in the Alumni magazine, and look like they might fall over if you bump into them.

I've stayed at the Campus Inn three times. I got a room the night of my high school senior prom, then I stayed there (ironically it was the day John F. Kennedy Jr. went missing) for a high school reunion, and the wife and I stayed the night before I saw you last late summer in Chicago.

I guess that's your answer on that.

You can ask for wait list. They often get cancellations or some rooms are held by Development and they release them

Campus inn is where football team stays too

If you come there around 7:30 on Friday you can. Seem get off the buses out front

Last edited:
You can ask for wait list. They often get cancellations or some rooms are held by Development and they release them

Campus inn is where football team stays too

If you come there around 7:30 on Friday you can. Seem get off the buses out front

Oh, I remember that now from a documentary I saw as a little kid.

We've stayed at Weber's Inn and its pretty decent. If you have a car it's a close shot downtown and to 94 to get to Stadium that way. Agree on Campus Inn - I've stayed there, its awesome and spendy.

Campus inn starts reservations for following season on Minday after last hime game or after ohio state game. Can't remember exactly

I have stayed there many times when I lived out west

Like I said yiu can ask to be on wait list too

You can just come by there too and the team leaves about 90 minutes before game time

Thanks for the input everyone. Well it looks like staying on campus is out as those 2 places mentioned I tried to get reservation and they are both booked for that weekend. So Im looking for ideas off campus but not to far. Looks like we will be cabbing it from hotel to the game and back on game day (as we will both be tailgating and checking out the bar scene after the game) not really familiar with the areas near Ann Arbor that has hotels because it's been a good 20 years since I've lived in michigan and I was just a youngster when I was there.

Cabs can be scarce after games so plan to walk from stadium back somewhere you can more easilyget one - cab stand hotel, etc

I'd agree with the hotels south of the city around I-94/Briarwood Mall. That's probably your best bet in terms of cost + proximity. Prices will be high, but you should be able to find some occupancy for that weekend.

You could also stay a little further away (Plymouth, Romulus, Northville, etc.) and just leave yourself some extra time to drive into the city, especially on game day.

And if you stay at the ones by the mall, I believe there is a shuttle that runs into Ann Arbor for the games -- so you wouldn't have to necessarily pay for parking.

And if you stay at the ones by the mall, I believe there is a shuttle that runs into Ann Arbor for the games -- so you wouldn't have to necessarily pay for parking.

Or you can just hoof it. It's not that bad of a walk. Only a mile to the golf course for tailgating.

Yes you can park at city lots or even campus lots near central campus lots and walk from like state st area or main st

Not worth paying for parking near stadium and then sitting In traffic

Walk is only 1-2 miles

Last edited:
Or you can just hoof it. It's not that bad of a walk. Only a mile to the golf course for tailgating.
yeah, that's what we would usually do.

not sure how old edmolen12 is, but he may or may not enjoy the walk along S. State street dodging drunk college kids... so cabbing it back to the hotel could be a necessity if he takes the lady out for a night on the town after.

Back