Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Peralta

And does anyone really buy that 2012 ST was the only time Peralta "messed up"?

Last edited:

Kind of funny if you ask me. I think the stats tell the story.

2012 AVG .239, SLG .384, OPS .689
2011 AVG .299, SLG .478, OPS .823

My guess is he juiced through 2011, got busted in spring training of 2012 and then stopped.

But then again he is repeating his 2011 #'s this year so who really knows.

In my opinion, we send him packing and do not even think about asking him to come back for the playoffs. After watching Iggy play SS, it really opened my eyes to how slow and range less he has been. Sure his bat is great. But as others have said I think it would cause more of a distraction then it would be worth.

Last edited:

It's so good we have the famous Hanging Judge, Roy "Mitchrapp" Bean here on our forums. Who while still without 1 shred of evidence that Peralta "took" or "purchased" anything at all, has now decided that it's obvious it was a long term thing.

And while it's very possible Peralta did infact use a banned substance, to say he "hurt the ballclub" is pretty funny, considering Peralta helped us far more then he hurt us, especially since the PED issue is so prevalent among players and teams, it's not like it was a huge embarrassment to the franchise.

I don't think they will bring Peralta back for the post season simply because you risk upsetting team cohesiveness, but I have no problem with it if they do. Miguel Cabrera got drunk, was hungover and helped blow a division title, got into a drunken altercation with his wife, and was arrested for DUI....and he's a GOD in Detroit. Why act like Peralta is the anti-christ?

Kind of funny if you ask me. I think the stats tell the story.

2012 AVG .239, SLG .384, OPS .689
2011 AVG .299, SLG .478, OPS .823

My guess is he juiced through 2011, got busted in spring training of 2012 and then stopped.

But then again he is repeating his 2011 #'s this year so who really knows.

In my opinion, we send him packing and do not even think about asking him to come back for the playoffs. After watching Iggy play SS, it really opened my eyes to how slow and range less he has been. Sure his bat is great. But as others have said I think it would cause more of a distraction then it would be worth.

You think he got "busted" in the spring of 2012? and what...they just let him off with a warning?

That's just silly.

You think he got "busted" in the spring of 2012? and what...they just let him off with a warning?

That's just silly.

How long did they know about Melky before he got suspended? And if Braun was supposedly juicing in 2011, why did they not try to suspend him until 2012? And so if Peralta admits he "made a mistake" in the SPRING OF 2012, why is he just now being suspended in the last 1/3 of the 2013 season?

It's a long drawn out process. I am not saying I know the ins and outs of it, but it's not like they pee in a cup Monday and are suspended Tuesday.

Edit: Also I should have not used the term "got busted", more like he took a piss test that he knew he was going to fail.

Last edited:
How long did they know about Melky before he got suspended? And if Braun was supposedly juicing in 2011, why did they not try to suspend him until 2012? And so if Peralta admits he "made a mistake" in the SPRING OF 2012, why is he just now being suspended in the last 1/3 of the 2013 season?

It's a long drawn out process. I am not saying I know the ins and outs of it, but it's not like they pee in a cup Monday and are suspended Tuesday.

Edit: Also I should have not used the term "got busted", more like he took a piss test that he knew he was going to fail.

I take it you have not followed the whole thing too closely?

Peralta and the others got suspended now because of documents that were not handed over to MLB as part of a plea deal by Biogenesis' Tony Boesch until the spring of 2013.

Peralta never failed a test. I don't mean to be condescending, but you seem terribly uninformed on the subject.

The holy Thumb. He didn't do anything, no proof what's so ever :lmao:

"If my name is link in anyway, then someone's lying" - JP.

?I take full responsibility for my actions, have no excuses for my lapse in judgment and I accept my suspension,? - JP.

And you just assume he would take a penalty like this because he was innocent of taking peds? On a playoff team because in your words "He doesn't care about baseball and money is the only thing he cares about because he has a whole country to support :lmao:

Dude is as guilty as Braun.

But he didn't admit ped use, Mitch. Neither did Braun..neither did McGwire until years later. Same with Ortiz. Clemens and Bonds still haven't admitted it. I guess they're as innocent as JP. Wrongly accused..:lmao:

I take it you have not followed the whole thing too closely?

Peralta and the others got suspended now because of documents that were not handed over to MLB as part of a plea deal by Biogenesis' Tony Boesch until the spring of 2013.

Peralta never failed a test. I don't mean to be condescending, but you seem terribly uninformed on the subject.

My initial response was to Mitch, he asked if we thought spring of 2012 was the only time he was using PED's. My response was that if he admitted to making a mistake then, that is probably when he knew he had been caught, one way or another. You are right in the fact that he did not actually fail a drug test, not sure why I assumed he did. What my opinion was based off of, was the fact that he had a great 2011 season, followed by a bad 2012 season. Which to me, makes me think he used PED's in 2011, then possibly again in 2012 until the spring, then had a bad season. I do not have any great reasoning to back that up, other than it is my opinion. I even disproved my own possible theory, by stating he was having a great 2013 season in which he probably wasn't using PED's, but again, only Jhonny knows when he was and was not using them. Again this is just my opinion, and I apologize if it is silly to you.

A lot of guys don't fail drug test. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test..baseball players aren't immune to taking stuff and not being caught.

The holy Thumb. He didn't do anything, no proof what's so ever :lmao:

"If my name is link in anyway, then someone's lying" - JP.

?I take full responsibility for my actions, have no excuses for my lapse in judgment and I accept my suspension,? - JP.

And you just assume he would take a penalty like this because he was innocent of taking peds? On a playoff team because in your words "He doesn't care about baseball and money is the only thing he cares about because he has a whole country to support :lmao:

Dude is as guilty as Braun.

Perhaps he is Mitch. The only thing I'm saying is while we know he did "something" wrong, we don't know yet what it was, and likely never will.

Yet you label him "PED boy" and now are going off on how long he may have been doing it.

As far as the topic of the playoffs are concerned, as I said if the Tigers decide they want Jhonny on the team, I'm okay with it. And if they don't, I wish him well with another team. But I see no reason to vilify him like he has been, when plenty of guys in Detroit Sports history have done far worse, and were always forgiven.

I'll let you get back to burning him in effigy in your back yard.

A lot of guys don't fail drug test. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test..baseball players aren't immune to taking stuff and not being caught.

I know that. I was responding to him saying that Peralta took a piss test he knew he was going to fail. That implies that he did fail a test, and was my only reason for mentioning it.

The masking of substances is far more advanced than the testing for them.

Perhaps he is Mitch. The only thing I'm saying is while we know he did "something" wrong, we don't know yet what it was, and likely never will.

Yet you label him "PED boy" and now are going off on how long he may have been doing it.

As far as the topic of the playoffs are concerned, as I said if the Tigers decide they want Jhonny on the team, I'm okay with it. And if they don't, I wish him well with another team. But I see no reason to vilify him like he has been, when plenty of guys in Detroit Sports history have done far worse, and were always forgiven.

I'll let you get back to burning him in effigy in your back yard.

To not look better why didn't JP say "I'm sorry I made a mistake in 2012 and talked to someone in Florida etc." Make it easier for him..? Why didn't the team suggest that..?

My point is, JP lied. He said his name shouldn't be anyway on a list. So there is nothing to make me think he hasn't lied for 2-3 years.

There are many baseball players we assume took stuff, that never admitted it. Right? Or else BB would be in the HOF, same with Clemens.

I don't need a confirmed "caught on a test" to convince me he took peds.

And for that reason I don't want him back (getting back on topic)

Read an article today that suggested DD is seriously considering bringing JP back for the postseason if they make it. He mentioned how Jhonny handled the situation the best he could and was forthright. I think it would be a hell of a bench upgrade to Santiago.

Read an article today that suggested DD is seriously considering bringing JP back for the postseason if they make it. He mentioned how Jhonny handled the situation the best he could and was forthright. I think it would be a hell of a bench upgrade to Santiago.

If those shin splits continue to be an issue for jose then DD may feel like he has to

If those shin splits continue to be an issue for jose then DD may feel like he has to

I think you bring him back regardless. Hell, if we can clinch early, give Omar some reps in LF. He's played out there before. Then just put jhonny back at SS and move Iglesias to 2nd base.

I think you bring him back regardless. Hell, if we can clinch early, give Omar some reps in LF. He's played out there before. Then just put jhonny back at SS and move Iglesias to 2nd base.

SS belongs to Iggy now. I don't care if Alan Trammel came out of retirement, he'll have to play somewhere else, because Iglesias is this teams shortstop.

No disrespect meant to Alan or Jhonny, but that's just how it is.

No he hasn't. But that's irrelevant, as 2B is considered an easier position, and without a doubt every SS in the majors can also play 2B.

Austin Jackson has never played right or left field, but does anyone have any question he could do so, and do so pretty well?

The throw from short and 2nd is completely different

we saw carlos guillen struggle mightily at 2b after never having played it.

The throw from short and 2nd is completely different

we saw carlos guillen struggle mightily at 2b after never having played it.

Guillen wasn't the best, but I wouldn't classify it as struggling mightily. Also, he played 2B in the minors for 24 games in 1998 and another 5 games in Toledo just before he played there in 2010.

Short is a longer throw. 2B is not a long throw. That is the only difference, other than the throw for turning a doubleplay.

Back